‹ Prequel: Love Bites

Bittersweet Memories

Caught Up In the Spotlight, Shaking From the Stage Fright

"Hello." I replied as the woman came forward and embraced me in a hug. It was strange and awkward.

"Savannah, this is my mother, Esther." Klaus said. "Mum, this is Savannah."

Now I'm confused, I thought his mother was dead? Isn't that how the story went? His father killed her for cheating on him with one of the werewolves? I don't know, this is the supernatural world, maybe she never even died. I looked around the room and saw Rebekah was very happy to be with her mother again.

"Are you seeing my son, miss Savannah?" Esther asked

"What? No!" I quickly said. "Niklaus and I are just friends."

"Well I do hope you accompany him as his date to our party."

"Party?" Elijah asked. "What party?"

"We have to make nice with the people of Mystic Falls, let them know we mean no harm. So we're going to throw a house warming party." Esther explained. "I already had one of those hybrids deliver the invitations."

"That's great." I said. "I've had a long night though, very nice meeting you. I'm gonna go lie down."

I excused myself before being introduced to the other Mikaelson brothers, it could wait. I headed upstairs to the room I shared with Klaus and laid down. House warming party? I was only gone for a couple hours, where did she even come from? I can't show up at a party as Klaus' date when the whole town (minus Caroline) thinks I'm dead.

What would my former friends think? What would my family say? I cannot go to some party, especially as Klaus' date! I tried falling asleep but I was having a rough time, the bedroom door soon opened and in walked Klaus. He kicked his shoes off and laid down next to me.

"It's been an interesting night." He said.

"I thought your mother was dead, Nik." I said, turning to face him. "I thought Mikael killed her."

"I killed her." He confessed. "But she forgives me. She had a witch preserve her body, she was the one who was in the last coffin Stefan was keeping from me."

"Okay, now what? It's all about peace and love?"

"For her." Klaus gave me his famous grin. "I still have intentions of building my army of hybrids."

"But why? Why do you need hybrids when you have your family back?"

Klaus completely changed the subject, I don't know why he doesn't wanna talk about his family, but I sure as hell wasn't gonna force him. "You should get some sleep, love. Big day tomorrow."

"Wait." I stopped him. "You don't honestly think I'm going to this party, do you?"

"Why not? I do need a date. Do I need to formally ask you?" Klaus laughed.

"No." I whispered as if it was some secret. "My family doesn't even know I'm alive, neither do my friends. I can't just pop up out of nowhere. Besides, I don't have anything to wear."

"It'll be taken care of, love." Klaus assured me and kissed my forehead.

Of course, I'm worried about my family. I'm also worried about my friends being pissed off. But honestly, I never said I wanted to go to this party with Klaus and now I have to be his date? Ugh, I was going to get out of this somehow. Maybe even Elijah could help me, he seems like a reasonable man.

When I woke up in the morning, Klaus wasn't by my side. I heard a lot of commotion downstairs and I went to see what was going on. I walked down the stairs and saw Rebekah getting her hair and nails done at the same time.

"Savannah!" Rebekah called over. "Come sit next to me!"

I had no idea what was going on, but I did as told. I took the seat next to her and two stylists walked over to me immediately. "We've been waiting for you, Savannah." The two women said in unison, I wonder who compelled them to come here.

"Uh, what's going on, Rebekah?" I asked as my chair was tilted back.

"We have to get ready for the party, silly." She laughed. I looked over at her once my hair was washed and I was sitting upright. "What?"

"I didn't even agree to go to this, Bec." I told her. "I don't want to."

"Oh come on, Savannah! It'll be fun. My brother fancies you, ya know."

"He has an odd way of showing somebody he likes them." I said. "I'm really nervous."

"Savannah, if you're worried your friends won't accept you back then they really weren't your friends to begin with. Besides, its you against Elena, and as history shows, Elena always wins."

I gave Rebekah a slight glare, but she had a great point. Not only Stefan and Damon, but my friends also, they'd do anything for Elena. They've always done anything to keep Elena safe, and once they see me walking around with Elena's enemies, they'll automatically name me one also. So why should I care what they think?

Once my nails and hair were done, the stylist plucked at the tiny hairs growing in around my eyebrows, they even applied my makeup for me. I returned to my bedroom to find something to wear. This was going to be formal and elegant, I had to find something good. To my surprise, there was a beautiful gown hanging up when I shut the door.

It was a beautiful dress that looked like it came from some sort of fairytale. It looked amazing and very expensive, I guess Klaus came through after all. If I was going to this thing, I might as well look great. I slipped on the dressed and admired it in the mirror. I felt like an actual princess in it. A lot of guests had arrived and I could hear everyone mingling and talking amongst themselves.

"Savannah?" I heard Elijah's voice in the hall. I granted him entrance and he walked inside. He was wearing a very nice tux and had two champagne glasses in his hand. "Figured you might need a bit of courage."

I accepted the glass and thanked him. "Did you see my family down there?"

"I haven't seen them. Maybe they're not coming?" Elijah said. "Are you sure you can do this?"

"I'm sure." I nodded my head, reassuring Elijah and myself as well. "Thank you."

"I'll see you down there, my brother is waiting." Elijah looked me over once more and I swore he was about to say something. I just brushed it off as he smiled and left the room. I looked in the mirror for the last time before exiting my bedroom.

I held up my dress a bit so I wouldn't trip over it and I slowly started walking down the big, wrap around staircase. The room fell silent as people looked over at me. I heard some gasps and whispers, mouths even dropped. I felt like I was in some sort of movie and I was the main attraction. The most sought out person in the room. Once I reached the end of the stairs, my past was right in front of me, staring directly in my eyes. I was face to face with Damon.