Status: Active for now...

Vow of the Valkyrie

Prologue

Everyone in the crowded hallway of Valhalla stepped aside for a tall blonde woman, dressed in a symphony of black and gold, her pale skin and golden hair glowing in the torchlight. She was among the most feared beings in Asgard, ranked just below king Odin himself, though many would dispute that.

Astrid knew what kind of power she had and she adored it. She loved the fear she saw in the eyes around her and she treasured the way the mortals practically worshipped her on Midgard.

She was a Valkyrie, one of few that decided who lived and who died.

Even with this power, Astrid was rarely graced with Odin’s presence, so when he requested it, she couldn’t agree fast enough. That’s where she was heading now, the throne room to discover what the All-Father had in mind for her.

The guards standing beside the double doors had to only glance at her before swinging the grand golden doors open, and allowing her inside. There, across the room, sat King Odin on his gilded throne. He was the only one in the room and when the doors closed behind Astrid, they were given complete privacy.

Odin slowly motioned for Astrid to move closer and she gave a slow, shuttering breath before steeling herself and confidently walking toward the throne, her heels clicking on the marble with every step until she came to a stop just feet away from the cathedra. “You called, All-Father?”
She said softly and bowed her head in respect to the powerful Aesir.

“I did, Valkyrie of Hel.” Odin’s staff reached over and gently raised Astrid’s face up toward him.“I have called you for a favor, one that will put me even more in your debt.” Astrid nodded slightly, glancing at the eye patch that covered the All Father’s eye, the only physical scar of the battle that could have been Odin’s end.

“You have no debt to me, Sire. Ask and it will be given to you.” Astrid whispered truthfully, knowing that she’d do anything for her king.

“I fear you may not like what I ask of you.” Odin stood up from his throne and Astrid moved to the side to allow him to walk over to the windows that over looked all of Asgard. “You’ve heard of what has become of Loki Odinson, correct?” Of course she had. After he let the Frost Giants into the castle, Astrid had been paying close attention to the prince, and knew that he was on Earth and planning something bigger than he could handle.

“I have, sire and I fear for him.”

“As do I. I have spoken with the Oracle and Loki’s time on Midgard will end in tragedy and death, and I cannot, with a clear conscious, allow it to happen.”

Astrid’s heart skipped a beat and her eyes widened dramatically, he couldn’t mean…he wouldn’t…not Loki.

“I need you to guarantee that he will spend his final days on Earth.”

No no no no no!

“Are you sure that’s wise? He’s your son in all but blood, sire.”

“The decision is not an easy one.” Odin told her softly, turning to bring her into his line of vision. “But is necessary.” Astrid’s heart was beating a thousand times a second and she bit her lip roughly before staring out of the same window as Odin, taking in the darkening view as she tried to think of a way to unconvince the king beside her.

“The oracle does not know all.” She started, her pale fingers just itching to cross themselves for luck. A silly human custom, but one she had taken on recently. “She sees what may be if the current path is followed. I however see thousands of futures for Loki-“

“Of those, how many show him as the righteous Aesir he was meant to be?”

Damn. It wasn’t like Astrid could flat out lie to the man.

“Four.” Odin chucked at that, a dark chuckle that was more an expression of pain than amusement. ”But those four show him as the pinnacle of what an Asgardian should be, a force so good not even Thor could hold a candle to his light.”

“Forgive me Astrid, but I will not risk my entire kingdom on the chance my son might stumble into one. If you do not feel this is something you can do, I understand, I’ll ask one of your sisters to carry this out. I will not hold it against you.”

“At least give me the chance to talk to him.” Astrid said as he carefully walked over to the All Father’s other side. “I’m sure Loki will give up his childish games once he realizes that his life is at stake. He is completely self-serving, after all.” She ran a delicate hand up Odin’s arm, allowing to come to rest on the man’s shoulder. “Do not be so quick to take his life when other options are readily available to you.”

Astrid hadn’t been expecting Odin to move so suddenly and she nearly fell to the ground as the man spun around to face her. “And you think talking with him will make a permanent change in him?” Odin asked softly, “Do you honestly believe words will be enough to keep him from pulling the same stunt, ten, twenty, a hundred years from now? Should I just let innocent people die because I forgive him every time he comes running home with his tail between his legs?”

Astrid smirked, a sly little smirk that was as much a part of her as her own hand. “Words might not change him, but I have an idea for what just might.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Soooo? What do you think?