Status: Active for now...

Vow of the Valkyrie

Chapter 8

The avengers watched the entire conversation from the video monitor in Dr.Banner’s lab, each member having claimed a resting spot the moment they walked in. They all watched as Astrid and Loki stood on either side of the glass their eyes locked in such a way that one would have a hard time believing that there was a barrier at all.

“So that’s it?” Natasha asked, putting the video on mute as she turned to face the other avengers. “Loki’s suddenly on our side because he remembered he’s adopted?”

“Loki is on his own side because he realized his memories have been tampered with.” Thor replied and all eyes turned toward the blonde god that was leaning against the far wall, his arms crossed over his chest. “My brother doesn’t choose sides and I caution you to remember that, he can be your friend and act as your ally but he always caters to his own interest.”

“And what are his interests?” Asked Fury as the man walked toward the center of the room.

“Only he can tell you that, but I imagine they’re in line with yours. He wants to know who was controlling him, and end them. Whoever that is, is also the one that is posing the danger to your planet.”

“You really think so? This wasn’t just some plot to get back at Loki for something?” Tony asked and Thor’s forehead crinkled in concentration as he thought over the matter.

“I don’t believe anyone would go through these lengths for revenge on my brother. There are easier, more thorough ways to end him on Asgard, this attempt here on Earth has another meaning that I haven’t realized quite yet.”

The room was bathed in complete silence for several drawn out minutes, the tension in the air heavy enough that it was an almost physical presence in the space. Until finally, Tony, having had enough of the silence, picked up the remote on the table and unmuted the monitor. The sound of a pained scream suddenly echoed through the room, drawing everyone's attention.

On the screen, the black and white forms of Loki and Astrid were clearly visible, the Valkyrie had moved to the interior of the sphere and had both hands on the sides of Loki’s face, forcing his gaze to hers and holding the god up as he screamed, his knees collapsed beneath him and his entire body slack under Astrid’s onslaught on his mind.

“My god.” The captain said, standing from his chair and walking toward the screen in a daze. “What is she doing to him?”

“Freeing him.” Thor said, his voice calm even under the distress of seeing his brother in so much pain. “A very powerful magician placed the block, it was never meant to be removed and I can only imagine the pain of having it ripped from its surroundings.” Thor’s eyes slid closed, hearing his brother was bad enough, he didn’t want to see it as well.

“She said it would take several sessions.” Dr. Banner said a worried touch to his voice. “It’ll be like this every time?”

“No,” Thor replied, “Astrid planned on several sessions because having to fight through Loki’s defenses took more magic than removing the block itself, and magic has never been Astrid’s strong suit. With Loki allowing her entry, I believe this should be the only and last session.”
Thank the gods for that, Loki was still screaming and Thor didn’t think he’d be able to stomach a second or third round of this.

“And then he’ll be able to tell us who put this block on him in the first place?” Son of Coul asked.

“I can’t say, but hopefully that will be the case.”

Loki’s screams finally stopped a few minutes later, and Thor slowly opened his eyes to see everyone in the room still watching the screen, where Loki and Astrid were both collapsed on the floor of the sphere, their foreheads touching as they gasped for breath until Loki slumped against Astrid, passed out from exhaustion.

The group watched as the Valkyrie gently lifted Loki off the floor and carried him to a conjured bed placed in the middle of the room. Astrid carefully tucked the god into the bed before turning to face the camera directly as though she could see the room full of people that were currently watching her. Then, with a loud pop, Astrid disappeared from the camera’s view, only to appear once again beside Thor, startling the entire group and kick starting their battle instincts.

“Chill your beans, a simple teleportation spell, I didn’t feel like walking this far.” Astrid sighed as she pulled out a chair and slumped down into it.

“Remind me not to remove another mind block for as long as I live.” She told no one in particular as she rested her head on her folded arms on the table.

“So you did break it?” Steven was sitting right across from her, so Astrid simple turned her head so just her chin was resting on her arms in order to face him.

“Yes and it was exhausting. Hence why I never want to do it again.”

“Did you find out who placed it there?”

It was Fury this time, and Astrid had very little patience for the man as is, and now that she was completely exhausted, his voice alone was enough to irritate her.

“No, unfortunately whoever it was, had the ability to place the block at a distance, Loki has no memory of it being placed in his mind. So I’ll have to pull some detective work and see if I can’t figure it out. There are only a handful of people powerful enough to do this and it’ll be a simple matter of-“ Astrid paused long enough to let out a huge yawn that nearly brought tears to her tired eyes, “-matching up magical signatures.”

“But Loki isn’t hell bent on taking over the world anymore, right? That’s something at least, one less worry for us while you figure out who was controlling him.”

“You say ‘we’,” Astrid said, turning to Tony, “as though this will be a group effort.”

“Well, it will be. Anything you need, you just say the word.” Tony said nervously, and the blonde found she liked making the man of iron squirm. “We will all help as much as we can.”

Astrid just stared at the billionaire, her blue eyes narrowing slightly as the man became more and more uncomfortable by the moment.

“Really?” She asked coldly and Tony nodded his dark head.

“Sure thing, right guys?” The billionaire looked around the room and it took a few uncomfortable seconds of pleading stares for the other avengers to begrudgingly nod in approval.

“Good.” Astrid told them warmly, standing up as a fresh wave of energy flowed through her after the brief period of rest. “Do you have a training yard?” The question was meant for Fury, but it was Thor that replied.

“They have a gym, I’ll show you when you have the time.”

“Okay, you can meet me by my chambers at noon, if you two-“ She motioned to Natasha and Steven, “-can meet us there, I’d be very appreciative.” Astrid stepped away from the table and was just about to walk back to her chambers when she was stopped by Steven’s hand on her shoulder.

“What are you planning?”

“Just a little sparing, if that’s alright with you.” Astrid told him innocently, “It helps to clear my head and I get a little unsettled if I go too long without practicing my skills. Of course, if Natasha or yourself have other duties to attend to, I can make due with Thor, I’m sure he’s learned s
something new while on Midgard.”

But it was doubtful. Astrid and Thor had practiced together since he and Loki were nothing but boys, and at some point, they had learned each others movements, making an interesting show to spectators but a rather worthless bought of training all the same.

“No, that’s a good idea for all of us, wouldn’t want to become too comfortable.”

“That’s the spirit, Steve.” Astrid laughed and turned to leave once again but stopped just inside the doorway as a thought struck her. “Oh, Fury, I have a horse, Pegasus actually, she’s been flying around for hours, do tell your men not to attempt to shoot her from the sky if she chooses to rest on the upper deck. I’m afraid you wouldn’t like to see the anger of a Valkyrie’s steed.”

“Is it similar to the anger of a Valkyrie?” Tony asked with a smile that was copied around the room, even Astrid smiled widely before replying.

“No, it’s much worse. May the night be good, fine men, and lady. Till the marrow we shall meet.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So Loki is no longer hel-bent on taking over the world, but he will still be the Loki we know and love. Sarcastic, manipulative, cunning, gorgeous...*Cold Shower*

What do you think of the new layout? My eyes were starting to strain at the green and silver content background, so hopefully the lighter color with the black text will make this story a little easier to read.

See you guys next month!