Status: Working on the chapters, also trying to fix the layout. Help requested :*) aha

Surprise

.05

The next day I made it home around 10 am. I had sneaked out of Zach's house, left him sleeping on the couch. I was grateful that Ray had the foresight to make up a bag for me with street clothes so I wasn't coming home with wrinkled and dirty clothes and night-before make up. As I put my car in park, I decided to come back out for my stuff later.
I unlocked my front door and slipped inside. The house was eerily quiet for 10 am on a Saturday. Usually the dog was up and barking and mom was watching television or playing on the computer.
I made my way into the living room. The first thing I saw: two men in military uniforms and my mother on our couch, silently crying. Notification officers. In that moment, I knew. But I didn't want to believe it.
"This your daughter, ma'am?" one of the officers asked. My mother nodded.
"Miss, we regret to inform you that at 0009 this morning MSgt Williams -"
"No," I whispered.
"- took an IED to the stomach - "
"NO." I dropped to my knees.
"- and he was killed on impact," the officer finished.
My mother moved from her spot on the couch to mine on the floor. We knelt there together, sobbing, as the second Notifications Officer informed us of the actions we could take and the help and support we could receive and where to find everything and who to talk to.

Happy goddamn birthday to me.