Status: Complete

When Worlds Collide: Book Two, Earth

16

UNEDITED

/////Zuko's POV\\\\\

We were on a boat, treading threw the water. I stared at the waves passing, by and I thought of Sam, and how terrified she was when she was on my ship with me. She would hate this right now. But when we were in the North Pole, she seemed calmer around the water - how was she now? Was she still scared?

"Who would've though, after all these years," Uncle thought aloud, "I'd return to the scene of my greatest military disgrace... as a tourist!" He put on a hat, that I have no clue where he got from.

I sighed, frustrated. "Look around," I told him. "We're not tourist. We're refugees." I angrily took a sip of the soup that was provided, but quickly spit it out. "I'm sick of eating rotten food, of sleeping in the dirt. I'm tired of living like this." I put my head down. I truly was tired, and I don't know how much longer I could take this peasant life.

"Aren't we all," a voice said, and I turned to see a guy with tan skin, and dark hair. He wore what looked like makeshift armor, and had a piece of wheat hanging out of his mouth. "My names Jet, and these are my Freedom Fighters; Smellerbee, and Longshot," he introduced. His partners were very different from each other. One was very tall, and the other very short.

"Hey," the shorter one said - I think Smellerbee - and the other - Longshot? - just nodded.

I turned my head before answering. "Hello."

"Here's the deal," Jet said, stepping closer, "I hear the captains eating like a king, while us refugees have to feed off his scraps. Doesn't seem fair, does it?"

"What sort of king is he eating like?" Uncle asked, and I rolled my eyes. Silly old man.

"The fat, happy kind," Jet answered, and even my stomache rumbled in response. "Do you want to help us...liberate some food?"

I stared at the slop in the bowl that was in my hands, before throwing it out into the water. "I'm in."

Jet smirked, and I started to wonder if I made the right choice.

/////\\\\\

Late that night, Jet, Smellerbee and I made our way to the kitchens. We passed a window, and I saw food that I know hasn't been served to the refugees. Jet was right, the captain had to be eating twice his weight with all that food.

I glanced around, and when I made sure there were no guards around, I nodded to Jet and Smellerbee. The short Freedom Fighter ran to take cover while she stood watch, and I used my duo swords to pry the kitchen door open.

Quickly, we grabbed as much food as we could, and stuffed them into pillow cases we had took from our small 'rooms'.

"Guards!" Smellerbee hissed from outside, and with a nod, Jet and I dashed out the door. We made our way to the balcony, were Longshot was waiting below. When he saw us, he shot an arrow with rope attached to the railing. After sending the food ahead, I let the others go ahead of me, before following.

The arrow and rope was gone before the guard even turned the corner.

We made our way back to Uncle, and the rest of the refugees, and Jet took over, handing out the food to the people that sat on the ground. The rest of us gathered in a circle, sitting on our knees.

"So, Smellerbee," Uncle said, " that's an unusual name for a young man."

"Maybe that's because I'm not a man, I'm a girl!" She quickly jumped up, and I saw panic on Uncles face.

"Oh, now I see!" he called. "It's a beautiful name for a lovely girl!"

Longshot quietly stood up, and walked over to his friend.

"Nice cover up," I smirked, and Uncle Iroh glared at me.

Before he could respond, Jet walked over, and sat down. "From what I heard, people eat like this every night in Be Sing Se. I can't wait to set my eyes on the giant wall."

"It is a magnificent sight," Uncle told him.

"So you've been there before?" Jet asked, and I saw sorrow on my uncles face.

"Once," he confessed. "When I was a... different man."

"I've done some things in my past that I'm not proud of," Jet sighed, looking away. "But that's why I'm going to Be Sing Se - for a new begining. A second chance."

"That's very noble of you," Uncle praised. "I believe that people can change their lives if they want to." Uncle and I shared a look. "I believe in second chances."

/////\\\\\

The next day, it was foggy, but I could still faintly see the outline of Be Sing Se. I had my duo swords strapped to my back, and I thought of Sam - something I've been doing a lot lately.

Will I see her again? I would like to follow my uncles advice, for once, and start a new life. Forget the Avatar, and move on. But if I completely stop searching for the little monk, will that mean that I never see Sam again? She's from another world - how did she get here? Would she ever go back, before I do see her again?

My thoughts were soon interupted by Jet. "You know, as soon as I saw your scar, I knew exactly who you were."

I tensed, waiting for him to lash out, or start a fight.

"You're an outcast, like me," he continued, and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "And us outcast have to stick together. We have to watch eachothers backs. 'Cause no one else will."

"I've realized lately, that being on your own isn't always the best path," I said, really thinking about my answer.

We looked ahead, and could see the fog clearing - giving us a view of the wall of Be Sing Se.

/////\\\\\

By noon, we had made it to the shore, and were in line to enter the city.

"So, Mr. Lee, and Mr... Mushi, is it?" the lady asked. She reminded me of the lady asking for passports at the ferry pick up place - not as mean, but still not the nicest.

"It's pronounced, Mushi," Uncle corrected, emphasizing the 'u'.

"Are you telling me how to do my job?" the lady demanded.

I glanced at Uncle as he rushed out a response. "Uh, no, no. It's just that you're like a flower in bloom, that's beauty is intoxicating."

The lady flirted, back, I tried not to gag. Uncle turned back around with the passports, and I facepalmed, as Sam had called. "I'm going to forget I saw that," I said,swiping mine, and storming away.

/////\\\\\

Later, we were waiting for the okay to enter the famous city. I sat glumly in my seat, tired, and bored. I just wish there was something, anything to do.

Jet suddenly popped up next to me. "So, you guys got plans once you're inside the city?" he asked.

What was with this guy? Sure, he was nice, I guess, but he seemed to be everywhere.

Before I could answer, a man pushing a cart started yelling about tea. Of course, Uncle immediatly flagged him down, requesting a jasmine tea. After the man walked away, Uncle took a sip, and spit it out in a heartbeat. I glowered at him - him and his stupid tea.

"Oldest tea in Be Sing Se is more like it," he corrected, pointing at the cup in his hands in disgust. "What a disgrace."

"Hey, can I talk to you for a second?" Jet asked, and stood up and walked away before I could answer.

With a sigh, I pushed myself out of my sitting position, and followed.

"You and I have a much better chance at making it in the city if we stick together," he told me, looking around like he was afraid of being overheard. "You wanna join the Freedom Fighters?"

"Thanks," I said, "but I don't think you want me in your gang."

"C'mon, we made a great team when we took that captains food," he urged. "Think of all the good we could do for these refugees."

I turned, and started walking away. If he knew who I really was, I didn't doubt that he would be the first to try to take my head as a trophy. "I said no."

"Have it your way," he called, as I made it back to Uncle.

He had heated his tea, and steam was wafting out of the small cup. I glanced back at Jet, and saw something new in his eyes - determination. When I made sure he was gone, I slapped the cup out of Uncles hands.

"Hey!" he protested.

"What are you doing, fire beding your tea?" I hissed through clenched teeth. "For a wise old man, that sure was a stupid move!"

"I know you're not suppose to cry over spilled tea, but...," he sniffled, "it's so sad."

I rolled my eyes, before plopping back down on the seat next to the crazy old man.
♠ ♠ ♠
Look guys, nothing but Zuko! A lot of you have told me that you miss him, so here he is! I know this is short for what I usually do, but I'll update again this week, don't worry! On the side is Sam, because I know I've never posted what she looks like before - I just figured out how to lol.

Sorry for any mistakes, because I know there are plenty. For some reason, I can't type at all tonight... ah, well.

Hope you liked it!

Love you all!!!!