The Bakery Boy

chapter one

For once, Louis wasn’t late. How that happened, he wasn’t too sure but in celebration, Louis invited his flatmate out for coffee at the bakery they go to every morning together. Only instead of Liam paying his for own drink, Louis was going to pay for both. He still made Liam go up and order, but it was a start.

“Okay, so exactly how is this celebrating?” Liam asked as he came back with Louis’ drink. Carmel latte as always.

“You’re not paying. That should be the lottery to you, broke college boy,” Louis replied back after taking a sip of his drink. This place knew how to do it right every time. It was sheer accident that he came in here at the first place; he was knew to town and while scouring the city he found this place nestled in a corner. He had never been to another bakery ever since.

“Alright, fair point,” Liam surrendered. Liam was up for pretty much anything he didn’t have to buy. With his parents not helping him in terms of payment, the boy was only able to get things like toilet paper because Louis’ parents were paying for pretty much everything. Even with siblings at home, there was no denying that the Tomlinson family was well off.

“So when are your first classes? Mine start in an hour,” Louis started off their conversation. He was a biology major and his first class of the day was Organic Chemistry. He was still kicking himself in the arse because of that decision.

“I have two night classes tonight. So I got a while,” Liam shrugged as he picked apart the cookie he had also bought using Louis’ money.

“Last semester I took a night class and fell asleep every time. I don’t know how you do it,” Louis chuckled. That was the last time Louis ever took a night class. Now all of his classes ranged from ten to four; there was no way the Doncaster boy was falling asleep in the middle of the day.

“Okay so this is really bugging me. That curly headed bloke has been looking at you ever since you started coming in here,” Liam broke their conversation of class to comment on the boy behind the counter that was glancing at the pair every few moment. “He even knew what drink you wanted before I even said it. ‘And a caramel latte’.” Liam mocked the boy at the end with an extremely deep voice.

Louis just couldn’t help himself, laughing like a maniac at Liam’s impersonation. “You’re a right fucking riot, Liam. I’m sure it’s nothing,” Louis shrugged as he went back to his coffee.

“Look he’s looking right now, go,” Liam urged Louis, shoving his head in the direction of the boy, not being discrete at the slightest.

Just as Liam had said, there was the curly headed boy staring right at Louis. Only it didn’t late too long. Louis could feel himself get whip-lash as the boy looked down. Only at the same time, the icing he was neatly piping onto the cupcake completely ran down the side of the wrapper, making the cupcake pretty much useless. Louis watched as the boy started to harshly chew on his lip, obviously in panic.

“I’ll be back,” Louis said with a grin as he got up and walked over to the counter. “So how much would a cupcake be?” Louis asked with a sly grin, completely startling the curly headed boy.

“Uh, £1.50,” The boy mumbled as he started to pull out a neatly decorated cupcake.

“No, no. I’ll take that one,” Louis corrected him, pointing to the one he accidentally ruined.

With nervous hands the boy handed Louis the ruined cupcake, waiting for some sort of prank to happen. Cupcake in the face, cupcake on the floor. The possibilities were endless in the boy’s mind.

“Thanks,” Louis grinned as he took a bite in front of the cashier before going back to where he was sitting with Liam.

“I think you damn near gave the boy a heart attack,” Liam commented as he picked off a bit of the cupcake with his fingers.

Louis turned out only to see that the boy was trying to calm his breathing and wiping his hands furiously on his apron. “Well it’s time to go to class,” Louis grinned as the two left the bakery.