‹ Prequel: Talk Is Cheap
Status: read the prequel first, pleaseeeee

My One and Only

young love is such dumb love

Nicole sat on the couch with her eyes fixed intently on the coffee table where a white envelope was resting. It’d come that morning—the paternity test results for her baby. A couple weeks ago, she’d sent follicles of Niall’s and Harry’s hair to a DNA lab somewhere in London. She’d done this without their permission; they didn’t even know she was pregnant, no one knew. The only person Nicole had been brave enough to tell was Sage, and her best mate’s outraged reaction was enough reason for Nicole to keep it all a secret. Obviously, she’d tell people what was going on eventually, but she wanted to be sure about two things first: who the father was, and if she was going to keep the baby.

Nicole was only 19; the last thing she wanted or needed was a baby. Her life had finally started to work it’s self out. She was doing well at uni; well on her way to becoming a drug-therapist, and she’d finally started enjoying Niall without Harry’s added drama. But, no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t get away from Harry. If she was having his baby, she’d be tied to him for the rest of her life, and a life with Niall didn’t seem too promising if that ended up the case.

She reached for envelope, her hand shaking from the nerves. Just as she ran her finger under the flap to open it, Sage barged through the front door, throwing her rucksack to the ground and immediately starting to rummage through the refrigerator, searching for something to eat. Nicole quickly tucked the test results behind her back and leaned further against the sofa; she tried to act calm because she didn’t want Sage to become suspicious. Nicole wanted to read the results alone and have time to process them before telling anyone. The entire thing was such a big deal; she didn’t need the added stress of anyone else until she figured things out.

“We never have any bloody food!” Sage yelled from the kitchen before slamming the refrigerator door closed. “What do you and your baby want for dinner?”

Nicole rolled her eyes; Sage’s comments about the pregnancy were becoming quite annoying. Nicole wasn’t just Nicole anymore. It was Nicole and ‘her baby’.

“Chinese,” she replied, biting her lip as she waited for Sage’s response. Lately, all Nicole wanted was Chinese food. She craved it constantly at all times of the day. She’d heard it was common for woman to crave strange foods during pregnancy, but she’d been hoping for pickles or anything kind of healthy. If she continued eating a dozen wontons every day she was going to gain 45 kilos. It didn’t matter if she was ‘eating for two’ or whatever bullshit woman told themselves to feel good about pigging out on junk food during their pregnancy, Nicole want to gain the 10 recommended kilos by her doctor and nothing more.

“Didn’t you have leftovers for lunch?” Sage asked after letting out a dramatic groan. She trudged across the room before throwing herself on the empty spot of the couch.

“Well yeah, but chicken fried rice sounds brilliant right now.”

Sage shook her head in disbelief before flipping on the tele and propping her feet up into the coffee table. “Ya know, Niall hates Chinese food.”

Nicole turned sharply towards her mate and cocked an eyebrow. “So?”

“And Harry’s addicted to it. Maybe it’s a sign.”

Nicole narrowed her eyes as her light brown eyebrows knitted together. “Shut up. That’s not funny.”

“I’m just trying to help,” Sage said, shrugging her shoulders. She didn’t look at Nicole, and instead she flipped through the channels nonchalantly, passing through each show so fast it was impossible for her to know what was actually on.

“I’ve been playing the ‘who’s the father guessing game’ every day for the past month! I don’t need your sarcastic comments stressing me out even further.”

“Sorry,” Sage muttered, looking at her mate through the corner of her eye. “It’s strange you haven’t gotten the test results yet.”

“It’ll come any day now,” Nicole said as her thoughts turned to the letter hiding against her back; it had all the answers. She was so close to finding out who the father was, it was driving her mad not to rip the envelope open then and there.

“Is Niall coming over tonight?”

“No,” Nicole replied shakily, it was hard for her to focus. Now that she’d started thinking about the test results again, it had consumed her. “I’m going over to his flat after dinner.”

“He never comes here anymore.”

Nicole looked at her mate questionably, wondering what she was getting at. She hadn’t really noticed, but she guessed Sage was right, he rarely ever came over and he never stayed the night. She was always at his flat; it was like she lived there now. “It’s easier because he lives alone.”

“Isn’t it weird, though? Fucking him when the father of your child is in the flat next door?”

“Sage!” Nicole exclaimed, jumping out of her seat. “What the fuck is your problem?”

“I’m just curious.”

“You’re unbelievable.” Nicole rested her hand on hips while staring down her nose at her mate. “I’m going over to Niall’s. You’re on your own for dinner.”

“You’ve become such a little bitch, if that’s not reason enough to believe it’s Harry’s child-”

Why do you want it to be Harry’s child so Goddamn bad? Do you know how much that would fuck up my life? What the hell is up your arse lately?”

Sage pursed her lips as her grey eyes widened dramatically. She really didn’t know what to say. She’d only been joking, mostly. She hadn’t expected Nicole to take things so seriously. Nicole was really nervous that the father might be Harry, and it surprised Sage. Sure, she knew her mate had chosen Niall over Harry, but she hadn’t really taken the decision seriously. Sage knew Nicole better than anyone, and it was still quite obvious Nicole still had feelings for Harry, she possibly even loved him. But something about Harry scared Nicole—scared her to the point she’d chosen Niall over the lad she might’ve loved more. Sage didn’t know what was frightening her mate so much, but she was determined to find out.

“I don’t want it to be Harry. I’m sorry. I won’t joke about it anymore.”

Nicole breathed heavily and pinched the bridge of her nose. She needed to get out—she needed to be anywhere but there, in the living room, fighting with her best mate. Without saying a word, she crossed the room to the front door and slipped into a pair of flip flops. She grabbed her keys from the nearby kitchen counter and left the flat, making sure to slam the door shut behind her.

She drove straight to Niall’s, easily finding the way. She’d been there more times than she could count, and it was basically instinct for her to drive there whenever she got in the car. She ran to the flat, and practically threw her body against the door instead of knocking. At first, when Niall opened the door he looked confused with a blank expression on his face, but within seconds he was wrapping her up in his arms. He pulled her from outside, and kicked the door shut. She buried her face in his chest while sucking back the tears. She didn’t want to cry, all she wanted was for him to hold her. With his arms around her, nothing else existed. It was just them.

“I wasn’t expecting you until later, but I’m glad you’re here now, though.” He said after several minutes of silence. She pulled away just far enough to look up into his blue eyes, a small smile tugging at her lips. “Is something wrong?”

“Not anymore,” she replied before standing on her tiptoes and kissing him.

“Did you know that I love you?” he asked, and she rolled her eyes, pretending to find him annoying.

“I’m hungry,” she stated, ignoring him.

His jaw dropped and his eyes widened as he stared at her utterly shocked. He took a step back, distancing his self from her before crossing his arms over his chest and looking at her like she’d done something very, very wrong.

Nicole began laughing loudly, causing a few snorts. It wasn’t long before Niall joined in—her laugh always amused him. He started walking towards her again, opening his arms for a hug. She pinned her arms to her sides and shook her head vigorously while scrunching up her nose. Once he was holding her, he began kissing her hair, face, and neck. The entire time she was screaming for him to ‘let go’ while also giggling like a fool. Finally, she couldn’t stop herself any longer, and she kissed him back, knotting her fingers in his blonde locks as she melted against his body.

He was perfect, Nicole couldn’t deny it. She really loved him and he loved her, and there wasn’t another thing in the world she wanted more than that. She found herself thinking she wouldn’t mind having a baby with him. He would be a good father, and she could easily see herself loving him for the rest of her life. She truly hoped he was the father. Not only would that makes things easier, but it was right. Niall was the type of guy she was supposed to be with. But that’s when it hit her. The envelope.

She’d left the test results at home, on the couch, for Sage to find. Sage probably had already spotted it. Sage probably already knew who the father was.

As the pair pulled apart, Nicole tried to steady herself. Her head was spinning. This was the very last thing she’d wanted. She tried not to let her emotions show as Niall began to scrutinize her. She avoided eye-contact, and slipped her hand in the back pocket of her trousers before pulling out her phone. Quickly, she turned it off, knowing too well that Sage would be calling her once discovering the test results. She’d have to deal with her mate and all her baby drama tomorrow. Tonight she was with Niall, and she tried to convince herself that was all that mattered.
♠ ♠ ♠
YAY! first one. :)
I hope you likeeee it.
Let me know what you think, yeah?
I'll try to update again very soon. I'm trying to write as much as possible, because when I don't write I just get depressed, haha! I dunnoooo. I have an exam Tuesday that I need to study my ass off for, but other than that...nothing really besides typical college stuff, and figuring out study abroad stuff, hah!

Comment and subscribe pleaseeeeeee.