‹ Prequel: Tell Me This Then
Status: Finished :)

Unreadable

Spirited

As I drove into the parking lot, I eyed Eloise from the corner of my eye. I was careful not to examine her stance for too long as I had a habit of getting distracted staring at her. It wasn't my fault either - it was basically the only thing I had permission to do, other than starting conversations but that then too, was the beginning of more tears streaming out. 

Eloise's fingers drummed against the side of the door, her lips formed a severe tight line and her other hand, which was placed at the corner of her sear, was curled into a fist. I'd never seen her so anxious since the day we met, that caused a slight prickle of sadness protrude from my heart. 

I averted my attention back to the road, finding an empty parking space. There were quiet a few cars lined up against the building considering it was a weekday, school hours. Slipping the car through the narrow passage, I remembered her expression. I took a risk, lifting my hand from the - and placing it on top of hers. Once she relaxed I gently slid my own fingers in between hers and giving our intwined hands a squeeze. Naturally she flinched at the contact but never made a move to separate from me. 

I cherished moments like this, when at least I knew she didn't fully hate me or as she always said, 'was afraid of me'. That was a terribly scary statement as I didn't ever wish for the person I cared about to not want me around. 

So even though the only expression I could see set upon her face was terror, I knew this was something to be done. I wouldn't be able to live knowing I'd cause this problem and that she didn't want my presence as much as she did before. I decided to stay in the vehicle for a few minutes just to calm her down. 

"Wanna go now?"

Eloise inhaled sharply before nodding. "Now or never right?" I knew her smile was forced but at least she was trying to enlighten the grim mood. 

The thin glass doors slid sideways letting us gain access to the building. It was exactly as I had expected. Pale cream walls, bright white panel lights stuck on the high ceiling with only few paintings to color the bland looking place. It immediately bored me and we had just stepped through. 

"Zayn!" We turned to see a brunette middle aged woman walking quickly towards us as if she was being followed. I had no idea how she knew me but it didn't matter anymore. "I'm Dr Humberstone. So glad you could make it," she exclaimed grabbing my free hand without my permission. "Come along now. We don't have all day."

She led us around the building, through a long and tiring maze passing corridors that all looked the same to me. We reached the end of one hallway and I felt Eloise tense beneath my hold. 

"It's gonna be okay," I murmured rubbing small circles on the back of her hand. It was then that I realized she hadn't let go of me since I touched her and it was then that I realized she might've been getting better after all. 

Dr Humberston pulled on the knob of a plain white door that had her name on it. "Come in," she said in an abnormal cheery tone of voice. 

With a sigh I placed my backside on one of the plastic chairs and settled against it. Might as well have caught up in rest. I had never seen such a terrified look on my girlfriend's face than when she entered that room. 

The wind danced quiet playfully around us two. The gusts of the air attempted to topple me backwards but I managed to remain on both feet. A shiver shot through my whole body and it wasn't because of the chilly air. It was of what was beneath us. 

Eloise used all means of persuasion as she coaxed me into climbing up the high rock. She hadnt needed to as I would've gone anyway but now, the crashing waves taunted me. It took every ounce of courage I had not to climb back down. At least she hadn't convinced me to go cliff diving. Now that, was something you'd have to pay me a massive percentage of money until you saw me do it. 

"Come on Zayn, it'll be fun!" she almost squealed. 

The water lapped harshly against the jagged sides of the rock and I trembled with just one look at it. I was already afraid of the ocean but then she expected me to freely leap into it? What had I gotta myself into?

The excitement on her face wasn't something you'd rarely see. It was an expression you'd catch her wearing as she basically lived off the adrenaline. I smiled despite of my current situation. I was a pathetic excuse of a man, my girlfriend had to argue with me for half an hour while she wouldn't take one second of hesitation if anybody asked her to jump into the rough waters. 

That was one of the things I liked and disliked about her. She was always up for an adventure, the brave smile that was almost permanently cemented on her lips, and the daring twinkle in her eyes. 

Yes - even though most of the time I ended up trouble when I was by her side - I loved that about her.

Eloise' legs were slightly bent, ready for her to spring out and leap off the rock. I locked my arms around her waist, pressing my head against the small of her back. "Please babe, don't," I pleaded. 

Her laugh rang out through the empty atmosphere. "Okay okay. Calm down."


So it wasn't normal for me to see Eloise in such a fragile state. It was very horrifying in a way too. 

The door eventually clicked open and I leant forward in anticipation. My girlfriend walked out of the room with Dr Humberstone trailing slowly behind. Her face was gravely disappointed. 

What had happened?
♠ ♠ ♠
This one's much longer than the others I guess. Hope you guys enjoyed it :)