‹ Prequel: Tell Me This Then
Status: Finished :)

Unreadable

Shocking

Her reassuring words were meant to work - they always did - but somehow, this time, it wasn't taking any effect. My nerves were still on the edge even more now as we were nearing the house. 

I gripped the steering wheel clenching my jaws and faking a smile all at the same time. I tried not to show the nerves overwhelming me as I knew Eloise would've told me to turn back. Which was a weak move to pull. 

"Here," she announced with much enthusiasm. It was probably because she had missed them and felt the opposite of what I was feeling. 

I rolled the vehicle easily into the last slot parking a few meters away from the house. Before piling out of the car, I stared straight ahead to gather my thoughts, mulling over the many different outcomes of this little meeting. My gaze darted to the side, glaring at the sidewalk that led to it.

Eloise was never one to complain but missing her parents was a an exception, at times she would wake me up in the middle of the night pleading. There had been several opportunities for us to visit her parents but -because of how selfish and nervous I was - I always denied fearing the worst.

Feeling a hand slip through mine intertwining with my fingers, I tried to relax my muscles. This time there was no backing out.

I sent her a meek smile, sliding out of the driver's seat and opened the door for her. Eloise stepped out the same smile cemented onto her lips. My eyes raked over her attire, swallowing in her attire and I convinced myself that I was doing this for her. For the stunning person in front of me.

She giggled. "Zayn, stop undressing me. My parents are probably watching us through the peephole."

"El," I murmured stroking the side of her cheek with a finger, "do you really think I'd do that?"

After a deep sigh she rejoined our hands, shaking her head to agree with me before pulling me along the partly empty street. There were still a few pedestrians walking past, a couple pushing a pram, a teenage girl being forced to run after her lead-less shepherd.

I followed after my girlfriend and began to stumble once we reached the path that emerged into the house that her parents resided in. With heart pounding, hand squeezing hers cutting off the circulation and lips pursed, I trudged up the short steps reciting the lyrics of my favourite song. That's always seemed to calm me down.

Eloise curled her free hand into a fist, lightly pounding it against the wooden door. She sent me another reassuring smile as we waited for them to open it. I smiled, hoping that this time it was a generally true smile.

Her parents weren't horrible people - otherwise El wouldn't have been so eager to see them again - and they didn't look threatening. I'd seen countless pictures and listened to the phone conversations my girlfriend shared with them. Wasn't it just a
thing for boyfriends to feel nervous? I certainly knew why and it frightened me.

The door clicked open, a creaking sound filling in the silence. I tensed underneath the stare of none other than her father. I expected to see a frown etched into his forehead but instead there was a smile, causing the corner of his eyes to crinkle. I was instantly feeling better.


I ran a hand through my styled hair, the quiff getting damaged but that was the last thing I cared for at the moment. There were so many other things that were occurring that were more important than life itself. As it was my life that was going to change.

Eloise was clutching the front of her mother's shirt, sending me an apologetic expression. I turned away from her gaze not allowing the reality of the situation get to me. It wasn't something I wanted to believe was truly happening.

"So?" Ben asked. "Are you coming with us?"

Biting my lip, I looked up at the man who just decided to randomly enter my apartment and demand for my girlfriend without any warnings - without even asking if it was okay with me. "You're not asking for my permission?"

I heard a whisper from the woman embracing El. I glared at her waiting for some explanation. "We're going to the car," Claire said taking her daughter along.

Eloise was nibbling on the edge of her bottom lip. "I'm so sorry, Zayn."

Arguments after arguments continued on between Ben and I, often going back to the same topics. We were both unable to come up with reasonable explanations; demanding and pleading became a routine at the end.

He said the very last argument and it was a sentence that was incapable of losing. "We are her parents. I'm sure that it's legal for us to take her back." Without further hesitations he walked out the door but didn't bother to close it, as if I'd be tempted to follow him.

I fell back against the nearest wall, sliding down onto the floor. It was the third collapse of the week and I wished that it would be my final one. There wasn't anything I could do about it.

She was gone. Maybe tomorrow I'd have my faith back and maybe then I'd be able to get her back - or at least see her.
♠ ♠ ♠
:( I may be posting the last chapter tomorrow...