‹ Prequel: Tell Me This Then
Status: Finished :)

Unreadable

Disenchanted

Even though the chair had the softest padding, I couldn't bring myself to be comfortable. I rested both arms on each side of the chair trying to even out my ragged breaths. Moving my backside around to find the perfect position wasn't working either.

I was spacing out, my eyes intensely focused on the dull linoleum floor, my heart pounding as if it wanted to be free of my rib cages. I averted my gaze my eyes wandered along the walls of the room - almost barren with the exception of a couple of shelves, a diagram of some sort, a brown door leading to what I guessed was a storage room, a desk and several chairs.

I concentrated on other miscellaneous objects to occupy myself with rather than mulling over more thoughts again. I had never been so nervous and bored at the same time while waiting for something.

My attempt to pretend I wasn't cold didn't seem to have worked. Of course I knew my chattering teeth and the pulling of my jacket would've eventually given her a clue. "Take it," she said again demanding for me to do it this time.

I shook my head, convincing myself that I wouldn't be a real man if I took back my coat. Eloise was shivering uncontrollably just moments before I had offered her the extra clothing and she happily slipped it on. Now, she was returning it.

"Screw the rules of chivalry and gentleman-ness," she hissed. "Just take back the bloody coat, Zayn."

With a defeated sigh I followed her order then thought of an idea. I grabbed the coat out of her grasp and then quickly threw it on the nearest bench. It missed by a few inches but I didn't bother to fix up the minor problem. "There. Now we can't fight over it."

She frowned at me. "Zayn Malik you are a massive but brilliant idiot." Then I was rewarded with that unique laugh of hers.


"Hello again Mr Malik," the woman entered the room, carrying a pen and a pad filled with lined paper. I grimaced instantly finding distaste in her attire - a light white blouse and black pants - as it matched the room. Monotonous and flat.

Twisting the chair around to face the table, I replied, "Please call me Zayn. I'm tired of all this formality bullsh-uh tired of formalities."

Dr Humberstone nodded as if she knew the mess of emotions curling over me. "What did you want to talk about?"

"What's wrong with Eloise?" I asked in one rush not hesitating to answer her question.

"Nothing but I guess I understand what you mean. Zayn, you know what's happening. Think of what I told you from your first visit now piece that together with her odd behaviour." I leaned forward wanting to catch every word escaping her lips. It was as if she was lowering her voice on purpose - maybe she thought it would be an intimidating effect. "Notice how she only acted that way around you or with you?"

That latter sentence did it. I snapped my stare from the woman in front of me and gazed around the room. The lifeless walls had begun to close in on me, advancing in such a quick motion and I knew they meant to keep me stuck in that mundane room.

I wanted to speak, tell her that what she was saying was completely false and that her assumption was so far from the truth. But I knew I was only lying to myself and it didn't do anything good.

She wobbled a little on her legs before she skated with ease towards me. Her arms were outstretched ready for me to grab them. I did so and we traveled around the patch of ice, hand in hand, laughing at the cheesiness.

This was one of the things I loved about Eloise. She wouldn't care about the people surrounding her - if she was having an enjoyable time, she'd do what she wanted. Whatever caused that smile on her face, she would do it just so she'd be happy.

I paused for a second before pulling her along to spin on top of the ice, the surface earning small scratches. She let her head fall back, staring up at the sky as she yelled with joy. Watching her with amazement, I knew what I had to do.

"El," I said stopping her, "will you be my girlfriend?"


Gripping the arms of the chair I was in, I pulled myself up and rushed out of the room that was confining me. I felt skinny hands try to stop me but I shook her hold off wishing to be out of the public eye...maybe forever.

I didn't hesitate to run out of the building, sick of its plain features as it shouldn't have been normal for something to be so dull. I received countless glares and curious looks from people who were witnessing my fit.

Once out of main street I took a break, collapsing onto the corner of the sidewalk. The crowd here wasn't as thick as before but I didn't care anymore. There was nothing to care about. I didn't give a damn about their raving opinion and the person who I wanted to talk wasn't here.

Eloise was gone forever and it was all my fault. I had frightened her off because I loved her so much.

She was afraid of such close affection and I shoved that love into her face.

Tears swam in my eyes blurring my vision. There was no decent amount of tears that would be equal to the emptiness in my heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
:'(

Note: thank you to everyone who was reading this. I hope you guys enjoyed this - my very first Zayn story finished.