Day & Night

The meeting

In my society there are only two classes, high and low. I thought myself blessed that I was in the high class living in Philadelphia with my mother and father in a beautiful white house; if you could even call it a house it was more like a mansion. I went to a private school for only the most prestigious children in Philadelphian society. I attended cotillions, and coming out parties along with balls and formals. I was submerged into all of my mothers social groups and was about to be launched on society. It was expected, of course, that after my announced cotillion young men would try to court me so I could find a suitable date. Not just any young man would be acceptable for me to pursue further in the future. He would have to be smart, handsome, cunning, and talented to name a few.

Although my parents Lucca and Laura wanted nothing more than to have me in society making heads turns everywhere she looked, with an honorable husband at my side, but I had other plans. Yes, I wanted to be well liked in society, but I didn’t revolve her whole life around it as her parents did. I was what some would call a black sheep, or maybe not even a sheep at all. I wanted to follow my own path, and my own heart. I didn’t want to have to choose a suitor out of a group of boys my parents thought suitable for me, nor did I like the concept of having to stay in my place. I wanted to find real bliss and enjoyment in the real world out side of social events, and parties and away from Philadelphia.

I was at one of the announcement stores with my mother trying to pick out the most elegant parchment we could find to announce my cotillion. We had been to five stores already and my mom’s indecisiveness was getting on my nerves. I really didn’t see why they couldn’t just pick any old announcement and send it off. After all did the paper they printed them on matter that much?

“My darling what do you think of this one?” My mother held up an off white piece of paper that had a red ribbon border.

“It‘s fine mother.”

“You said that about the last one.” My mother turned from me to look at more announcements.

“That‘s because they all look the same.” I said with a hint of boredom in my voice. My mother turned around holding up two more announcements. One looked the same as the first one she had shown me except the border was now blue, and the other one had a black border that made twist and twirls around the edges.

“Ok, it‘s between these two. Which one do you like?”

“Wow your letting me choose?” My mom gave me a menacing look. “Ok the blue one.” She looked at the announcement I had chosen then nodded.

“Good choice. Now for the font.” I had already thought about the font I wanted. “How about Edwardian script.” I smiled at my mother knowing she’d be pleased.

“Excellent idea darling. I‘ll go tell the owner.”

I leant against one of the shelves and sighed. Why did she have to come along on these stupid outings? My mother knew I didn’t care. So why did she drag me along? If only I could just escape some where, if only for a few minutes to clear my mind.

“Riz lets go!” My mother was at the front of the store by the door. I lent forward and moved towards the front of the store. Of course that kind of sanctuary would never appear.

“Coming!”

At the front of the store my mother was standing with a young man dressed in black dress pants, with a white shirt and tie with a black jacket. Of course he was gorgeous every guy she introduced her to was, but they were also dimwitted, boring, and self centered. Charizma grimaced and then forced a smile.

“Mother who is this?” I gestured at the young man.

“This is Cameron. He’s my friend Kathy’s son. He‘s visiting for the season.”

Why couldn’t she say summer like a normal person?

“Well that should be…interesting.”

“Should it be?” The young man asked looking me in me eyes.

“Yes, I suppose it will.”

“I doubt it.” What did he mean by he doubts it?

“Why is that?”

“Well I find Philadelphian society somewhat dry.” What dry? How? We had parties, and balls, and cotillions, and dinners. Ok, so it was a little dry.

“Interesting choice of words.”

“Really who so?” He stared at me like what I had to say mattered, made a difference, and I loved it. No one had every cared to hear my opinion on anything other than clothes, food, designs, or floral arrangements.

“We’re more repetitive here than dry.” He nodded.

“Brains and beauty. Now only if I knew you name.” I started blushed then held out my hand.

“I‘m Charizma. But my friends call me Riz.”

“So you’re the renowned Charizma I’ve heard so much about.” Laura cleared her throat and charisma knew it was time to go.

“Yes, well if you‘ll excuse us we must be headed.”

“Of course.” Cameron stepped aside to tell them through. The ladies headed to their car and once inside started gossiping about Cameron.

“Charming boy. To bad he will only be staying for the summer.”

“Yes he was very…”

“I would have loved to invite him to your cotillion but we have standards.”

“Mother what are you talking about? He seemed fine to me.”

“Well to you I bet he does. A cute boy who has a wonderful play on words. He must get that from his father, that dog.”

“Mother!”

“Well surely you must have heard of Richard.” Charizma’s mouth dropped.

“Richard Lendon?” Richard Lendon was the richest man to have ever lived in Philadelphia. He got rich and moved to Paris. Although she never knew he had a son.

“Yes, he got poor Kathy pregnant and then left for Paris. She never saw him through her pregnancy, and then the day she delivers he’s back and wants the baby. Of course he got him. When you have that much money you can have anything you want. Cameron lives in Paris, but he comes to visit his mother every now and then.”

“Wow. But he’s so…charming.” I stared off into space.

“No.”

“What?”

“I forbid it.”

“Mother.’

“I don‘t want you speaking to that young man ever again. Do you understand?” Of course she did. Her mother forbade anything that was remotely fun, or dangerous. So why should the hansom stranger be any different?

“Yes mother I understand.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like, me and two other girls are writing this. Much suspense and mystery to come.