Fall Like Raindrops

chapter one

"We're moving to Burbank California."

"What?!"

Eleven year old Stella's exclamation made her father raise his eyebrows at her. Born into a family of wealth and power, Stella's father was very careful to make sure his only child grew up with the proper morals and manners he too grew up with as well.

"What was that?"

"I meant pardon."

Stella breathlessly corrected herself, leaning over her plate of steamed vegetables and potatoes. Her father cleared his throat.

"We're moving to California, Stella. You'll love it there."

"But why are we moving, Daddy? I finally have friends here!"

They had only moved to Cincinnati about two years ago, but it had been long enough for Stella to make friends with at least a small handful of people. She returned to her previous stance and picked lifelessly at her vegetables.

"We're moving because that's where the money is, baby. The money is always on the wind, travelling all over the world. Maybe we'll even get to see Canada one of these days."

Stella rolled her eyes. She didn't want to move, she wanted to settle! Naturally, when one's father worked for the mob, you did what the man on top said. Her father snacked heartily on his meal, as if his daughter's upset mood didn't bother him. The meal was tense and quiet, a lack of healthy conversation. Once the dinner was taken away, Frank turned to his daughter and smiled.

"You'll love it there, Stella. You'll see."
♠ ♠ ♠
new story! this one is going to be on the back burner while i aim to finish Forever Isnt Too Far Away :]