Come Wake Me Up

the end.

“I can’t believe you flew my parents out here,” I marvel, watching them converse with Virginia’s parents.
She shrugs and smiles. “It’s not a big deal.”
“Yes, it is,” I object.
“I saw how torn up you were about not being able to see them on Christmas, and I just want you to be happy. So, I flew them out here.”
Then the realization sinks in that she’s actually met them before, and I don’t know what happened. “Wait, how did you even do this?”
Jack lets out a laugh. “Guilty,” he chimes in. “Took her over to your house. We had dinner with your parents, and at first your mom was convinced that Virginia was my girlfriend.” Virginia laughs and shakes her head. “I almost went along with it.”
“Not happening,” she responds. “Ever.”
“Worth a try.”
I roll my eyes. At least they get along.
“By the way, your parents love me,” Virginia informs me. “Your mom’s already started making plans for the three of us to come visit you over my spring break in Italy.” She pauses and bites her lip, casting a look at Jack.
“I’m going to find Zack and Cody.” He rises from the couch but stops midway. “Ha, Zack and Cody. God, I’m hilarious.” He hurries off.
“You know then,” I sigh. She purses her lips and nods, looking down at her hot chocolate on the coffee table.
“I’m a little upset you didn’t tell me.”
“I was trying to figure out how to.” I nervously rub the back of my neck.
She sighs heavily. “Look, it’s Christmas, and I don’t want to fight with you about this. Just next time, please tell me when you find out. Okay?”
“Alright,” I agree. “How did you find out?”
“Jack and your parents were talking about it like I was supposed to know, but I didn’t. I mean, I went along with it…I wish you would have told me.”
“I’m sorry, Virginia.”
“It’d be different if it was just a tour around the country, but a world tour, Alex…”
“I thought we weren’t going to fight about this tonight.” I frown.
Virginia takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. “You’re right, you’re right. But we do need to talk about this.”
“I know,” I agree.

“Fuck you, Alex!” Virginia screams, snatching up her belongings.
“Virginia!” I grab her wrist to stop her, but she yanks her hand back. “Come on, babe.” She rolls her eyes and wipes her cheeks. “We’re both overreacting and you know it.”
She shakes her head solemnly. “I’m not talking about this tonight, Alex.”
“You leave tomorrow morning for school, and I’m leaving for tour. When are we going to talk about this?” Her eyes tear up more, and the look in her eyes sends a fear through my chest.
“I guess we won’t then.” She slings her purse over her shoulder.
“Virginia, don’t walk out that door. Please, babe. I love you.”
She freezes and lets out a laugh, a bitter and cold laugh. “You know, that’s what Jordan told me before he hit me for the first time.”
I feel my face harden. “Don’t you ever compare me to him.”
“Then stop acting like him. I don’t care that we’re in LA at a club nor about how drunk you are. I’m your girlfriend, Alex. She isn’t.” I let out a huff of air as my response. “Will you just accept that you’re wrong and get the fuck over it?”
“No, Virginia, because you were all over that other guy.”
“That other guy was your best friend, and he was comforting my crying, asshole.” It’s the most I’ve heard her swear sober, and I know she’s absolutely livid with me. “I told you I wasn’t going to put up with this.” She opens her purse, takes out an envelope and sets it on the hotel bed before turning around and walking out.
I pick up the envelope, and inside are the tickets I gave her for Christmas.

“I fucked up, man,” I sigh, pulling the shot glass towards me.
“Yeah, you did,” Jack agrees. “There’s really nothing you can do about it except go after her.”
I pound the shot and shake my head. “She deserves better.” I turn to the bartender. “I’ll take two more.”
“Dude, you’re actually going to drink her away?” Rian chimes in. “How well has that worked out for you before?”
“I don’t fucking care, Rian. I just lost the best thing that’s ever happened to me. So, why does it even matter? There’s no getting her back.”
“Yes, there is, Alex. You’re just letting her walk away, and you know that’s something she’s good at.”
The bartender pushes me two shots, and I take them straight and in a row. “Then let her do what she’s best at, and I’m going to do what I’m best at.” I order myself another round of two, and let myself go.
I let Virginia go.
♠ ♠ ♠
we tried to fight
for what we thought that we believed in.
maybe it was all for nothing;
i bet that it was all for nothing.