Come Wake Me Up

finding me out.

“What do you mean you don’t want to go out tonight?” Zack questions. I shrug.
“I don’t know. I’m not really in the mood.” Jack stares at me, and Rian’s just got this smirk on his face. “What’s that look for?”
“What’s her name?” Rian presses. “Come on, Alex. Who is she? You don’t just spend four hours at a coffee shop.”
“Virginia,” I cave. “Her name is Virginia.”
“Did you get her number?” Jack asks. I nod. “Atta boy. Maybe she’ll kick your ass out of this douchebag phase you’re in.”
“I resent that.”
Jack shrugs. “You know it’s true. Where’s she from?”
“SoCal, but she’s going to school at TU.”
“No shit! That’s so close! Invite her out tonight.”
“No, Jack. She’s not a one night stand. She just broke up with her boyfriend today. I’m not that much of an asshole.”
“Most days.” I roll my eyes. “Whatever. You’re still coming out with us tonight. You can DD.”
“Fuck, are you kidding? I’d rather drink.” Jack smiles triumphantly.

“What can I get you boys?” I hear from behind us. I turn around to order a drink.
“Virginia,” I state, clearly surprised.
“Alex.” She sounds just as surprised.
“You bartend?” She nods. “Are you any good?”
“Why don’t you find out?” She winks and turns to Zack who sits last in our row.
“Rum and coke, make it strong,” he orders. I add in that I'd like one, too.
“Got it.” She turns towards the liquor collection and makes our drinks.
“Dude, that’s her?” Rian questions. I nod. “She’s not even your type. You don’t even like brunettes.”
I shrug. “So what?” Virginia slides Zack’s drink down to him and turns her attention to Rian and I.
“Anything for you.”
“Let’s get a line of Patron shots,” I decide. “One for yourself.”
“You’re too kind,” she laughs, pulling out eight shot glasses for the large group of us. “Lime wedges?”
“Yes, please.”
“Fuck, man, I hate tequila,” Jack groans as his shot is poured for him.
Virginia finishes pouring and sets the bottle down. “Count it off,” she tells me.
All of us pound back our shots—Jack and Flyzik having the hardest time keeping them down. Virginia doesn’t even chase hers. “She can even handle her liquor,” Rian comments. “Definitely not your type.”
“Alright, the jokes are getting a little old, asshole,” I snap. Rian holds his hands up in defense.
“Maybe you need another shot. Or six.”

“Jesus, Jack!” I laugh as he stumbles off the bar chair.
“Is he alright?” Virginia questions. Jack rolls around on the ground, and I can’t tell if he’s laughing or in pain.
“I think so. I’m sorry about him. He thought I was going to be that drunk tonight, too.”
“He’s pretty drunk…” I watch Virginia’s face turn into a small frown.
“It’s just another Jack night. He’ll be alright. We’ll probably have him on his way home in five minutes.”
“I hope you’re not sending him home alone.”
I shake my head. “Absolutely not. He can be a dick sometimes, but he’s still my best friend. I’ll be heading out, too.”
“Such a shame.” She winks as she collects a few empty glasses and places them in the bin.
“Cab’s here,” Rian informs me. I help Jack to his feet and place money down on the counter.
“Don’t worry about it. It’s on the house,” Virginia replies, pushing my money back.
“I can’t let you—“
“I’m not giving you an option.” She smiles. “Really, don’t worry about it.”
“Alex, you want to fuck her so bad,” Jack slurs. Virginia’s eyes flick towards Jack, her eyebrows raised. She leans against the counter, consequentially pulling her already lower cut shirt down a little more. I swallow the lump in my throat.
“We need to get you out of here,” I groan, throwing Jack’s arm around my neck.
“No, bring her with! You need to get it in. You’ve had a stick up your ass for the—“
“For fuck’s sake, Jack,” I cut him off.
“You’re sure he’s alright?” Virginia wonders.
I nod. “Yeah, he’ll live…if I don’t kill him first.” She lets out a laugh. “Thanks, Virginia.” I push a twenty in her already stuffed tip jar.
“Thanks, Alex. Let me know he’s home safe, okay? People that drunk just concern me.”
“Will do. See you later.” I lug Jack out of the bar. “You’re an idiot,” I mutter, partially to myself and partially to Jack.
“Where’s that pretty girl? If you’re not bringing her back, I will.” He tries to head back into the bar, but I keep a firm grip on Jack and shove him into the back of the taxi.

I smile as my phone lights up from another text. It’s already four am, and I’m still talking to Virginia.
Why are you still awake?
I like talking to you. Besides, this is generally when I’d be heading home…
Party animal.
It’s a lifestyle. What can I say?
Sorry for the rest of your friends. Haha
That bad after I left?
I cleaned up someone’s puke…
Ouch. I hope you made them pay.
Your friend Matt left a very generous tip and his phone number.
I actually laugh out loud at that statement. Flyzik only hands out his number when he’s disgustingly drunk, and I can only imagine the mess he made for Virginia. Poor girl.
When can I see you again?
I don’t get an answer until after I fall asleep, and waking up to a text inviting me to breakfast in the morning immediately gives my day a good start.

Virginia laughs loudly at the joke I made about the couple clearly arriving at the diner with massive hangovers. “I have a question, though,” she begins. I nod, urging her to continue. “How come you didn’t drink as much as your friends last night?”
“I’d planned on it,” I answer honestly.
“But why didn’t you?”
I shrug. “Would it be weird to say because of you?”
Her lips tug into a smile as she focuses on cutting her pancakes. “Not at all. Flattering, actually.” She bites the piece of pancake off of her fork.
“So, you’re bartending to pay for college?”
She shakes her head quickly. “I bartend because it’s fun. It’s super nerdy, but I’m obsessed with psychology. So, I like to get into the heads of drunk people and figure them out. I just like figuring people out in general.”
“Psychology? Wow.”
“I’m a huge nerd, I know.” She smiles and shrugs. “But I love it. I can’t help it.”
I smile at her as her cheeks tint pink, but inside my mind is racing with all of the things she may have already figured out about me. Things I don’t want her to know now, maybe ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
she's finding me out;
it's bringing me down.
because nothing's as hard
as the first time.