Come Wake Me Up

say you like me.

“So, you took her on a date? After all this happened with Danielle?” Jack clarifies. I nod. “Good for you! You finally figured out that you actually need to take a girl on a date before you sleep with her.”
Rian and Zack ring with laughter at Jack’s statement. “Fuck you,” I laugh.
“It’s true,” Zack agrees. “I mean, when was the last time you actually took a girl on a date?”
“Uh, Danielle.”
“Other than her.” I shrug. “You haven’t. You definitely like this girl.”
“Like? I’m attracted to her for sure, but—“
“Since when is saying you like a girl a big deal?” Jack questions. I shrug again.
“Since he actually found someone who might be perfect,” Rian comments.

“Hi!” Virginia greets cheerily, pulling open the front door to her townhouse. “Come on in. Rachel’s in cleaning mode right now. So, don’t mind her.” Rachel, Virginia’s roommate and best friend since third grade—apparently comparable to my relationship with Jack.
I peck her lips and enter her home, taking a look around. It’s neatly decorated with a dark brown leather couch and a matching armchair and TV stand in the living room, matching dining wear in the kitchen, and lord knows the rest of the house probably matches, too.
“I just have to make sure Rachel’s cookies aren’t burning, and then we can leave,” she continues. She rushes into the kitchen and quickly exits. “Rach, they’re not on fire yet, but you might want to check them in about ten minutes.”
“Okay, thanks. See you later!” Rachel calls back.
Virginia follows me to my car, and I open the door for her. She thanks me and climbs in. “This coffee shop is going to have our orders memorized,” Virginia laughs. I laugh, too, and agree.
“If they haven’t already.”
So, we sit in our normal location in the coffee shop and converse. “Alex, hey!” I hear, interrupting the pleasant ring of Virginia’s laughter. I turn my head to the voice, and a good buddy of mine walks into the shop. “And Dan—not Danielle.”
“Luke, hey man!” I greet. I watch Virginia study him briefly. “It’s been a while.”
“Seriously. How’ve you been, dude? I heard you got signed by a major label.”
“Yeah, just about a month ago.”
“Congrats, bro.” He looks to Virginia. “Luke Freeman, old high school friend,” he introduces.
“Virginia, flavor of the week,” she jokes, a small smile on her lips. Luke lets out a small laugh.
“If you were a flavor of the week, I’d never meet you in a coffee shop nonetheless sober.”
“And I’ve known you for longer than a week,” I add in.
“Flavor of the month,” she corrects, casting a wink at me. I smile. “Excuse me for a moment.” She rises from her chair and heads for the bathroom.
Luke takes a seat in the chair next to me. “A whole month and you’re just out for coffee? She’s either a really good friend or…” He trails off, letting his eyebrows rise.
“She’s not a fuck buddy,” I laugh, rolling my eyes. “I kind of like this girl.”
“So, it’s a date?” I nod. “What about Danielle?”
“We broke up a little less than a month ago.”
“Wow. Like officially broke up?”
“I really hope so.” I watch Virginia exit the restroom and head back for the table, stopping and saying something to the barista, who laughs and nods in agreement to what she just said.
“Well, I already like her. What does the band think?”
“They met her, but most of them don’t remember. So, I guess I’m yet to find out.” Virginia reclaims her seat.
“The barista thinks you two make a cute couple,” Virginia informs us.
Luke lets out a laugh. “I’ll let you two get back to your date. It was nice meeting you, Virginia.”
“You, too,” she calls as he walks up to the counter to order.

Our date passes quickly, and I’m dropping her off at home before I’m ready to let her leave. “Are you sure you don’t want to come—“
“It’s not that I don’t want to,” she quickly corrects. “I just have to attend to drunkard’s beck and calls tonight.”
“Alright,” I pout.
“I had a great time, Alex.”
“Me, too.”
I walk her to her door, and she chews her lip nervously as a silence overtakes us. “Thanks again, Alex,” she finally says, her green eyes meeting mine.
My lips pull into a small smile, my hands gently grasping her waist. She leans up on her toes and presses her lips gently to mine. I can feel her gripping my jacket to help brace herself.
The front door pulls open. “Oh, well, this is awkward…” Virginia and I look at Rachel, coat half-zipped and car keys in her hand. “I was about to get more ingredients for cookie dough, sugar included, but I guess all the sugar is out here.”
Virginia just stares at her best friend. “You’re fucking kidding. That’s the best pun you could come up with?” My eyebrows immediately rise in shock.
“You just dropped the f-bomb!” I playfully gasp. “Oh my god!”
“What can I say? I bring out the worst in her. Now, I need to get to the store. So, Gin, you need to disconnect yourself from your boyfriend before I do it for you.”
I let out a laugh as Virginia releases her grip on my jacket and backs away. “I hope you stay still when you sleep because I’m going to put a rat shot between your legs,” Virginia mutters as Rachel passes.
“I’m going to take a pillow case, fill it with bars of soap, and beat the shit out of you,” Rachel immediately recites. She doesn’t even turn around, just throws it over her shoulder nonchalantly.
I can’t contain my laughter. Virginia laughs a little, too. “I can’t believe that just happened.”
Her phone starts ringing. “Jesus,” she mutters, digging it out of her purse. “Yes, I’m aware I’m running late,” she says. “Ten minutes.” She hangs up the phone. “I’m really sorry, but I’m running late for work.”
“On purpose?” She smiles and nods proudly. “For me?”
“Sometimes it’s worth it to get in a little trouble.” She pecks my lips. “Call me.” She rushes into the house, and I don’t think the door even closes before she runs out with her keys.

I push open the door to my house and see Jack immediately. “I hate to admit you’re right, but I definitely like this girl,” I state. Jack turns around, a wide smile on his face.
“I’m glad you admit it. There’s just one problem.” I furrow my eyebrows, and he thrusts his finger towards the kitchen.
Danielle is standing in the doorway.
“You like this girl?” she repeats for clarification. “So, you were cheating on me.”
“I have cheated on you, and I’ve come clean about it. I never cheated on you with—“
“You fucking asshole. What’s her name? Does she even know about half the shit you’ve done?”
“Her name’s Virginia, and of course she doesn’t. I don’t need her turning into the crazy bitch you’re acting like right now!”
“Excuse me!” she shrieks. “You want to see a crazy bitch?” She hits my arm repeatedly and smacks my chest and pushes me. I just stand there and take it, clearly not affected at all. Danielle screams in frustration and heads for the door. “Oh, one more thing, I know your fucking Virginia. I’m fucking her ex-boyfriend, and she’s got a more notches in her bedpost than you. Congratulations, you’re dating a whore. You two deserve each other.”
“Danielle, get the fuck out,” Jack steps in. I stare after her as she slams the door closed. “Dude, don’t listen to her. She’s jealous.”
My face stays pinched together with frustration. “What if she’s right?”
“Then she’s right. What the hell can you do about it? You’re the only who always preaches that the past is the past, and since when has that stopped you from going after a girl?”
“It hasn’t, but this is different, Jack.”
“It’s not different, Alex. She’s different. I haven’t seen you this worked up about a girl since you basically fell in love with our sophomore bio teacher.”
“Okay, let’s not go there,” I immediately stop him. “Rough times, man.”
“I’m just saying. Instead of preaching to the choir, start singing.”
Start singing.
Start singing.
I look at Jack, and I can tell he knows he triggered a thought. “I’ll be watching ESPN if you need me.” He pats me on the back and heads for his spot on the couch. I head the opposite direction and lock myself in my room, guitar in hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
i wish my heart
was always on her mind.
because she's on mine
like all day, all the time.