Come Wake Me Up

innocent.

“Okay, what’s your deal?” Virginia interrupts my monologue on how much Flyzik is getting on my nerves. “Isn’t he one of your closest friends?”
I sigh heavily. “Yeah, he is.”
“Do you normally take your frustrations out on people you know can take it?”
“All the time.”
She purses her lips. “What’s going on? The past few days you’ve been off, too.”
“It’s not a big deal, Virginia.” She stares at me with a frown. “Really.”
“Fine, I’ll start with telling you what’s bothering me. Getting personally attacked at work by your ex-girlfriend who supposedly lives in LA and is now seeing my ex-boyfriend.”
I feel my mouth part in shock. “You know about that?”
“More like, you know about that?”
I nod slowly. “Dani came over after our date Thursday and reamed me out.”
“Alex, how long were you with her?”
“Almost five years. We met over Spring break in high school,” I sigh.
“And you don’t think that it’s a little too soon to start seeing someone else?” Her voice raises a little.
“Is this your way of saying you don’t want to keep seeing me?”
She shakes her head immediately. “Not at all. I really like you, and I’d really like to see this grow.” She pauses, realizing what she just said.
“You really like me?” I change the topic. She runs a hand through her hair and nods.
“Probably more than I should for knowing only a little more than a month.”
“Be my girlfriend.” Her head snaps up.
“What?”
“Girlfriend. You.”
“Alex, no,” she refuses, waving her hands. “Do you not see what’s going on right now?” She throws her arms out to her side, gesturing to nothing but meaning with her ex and mine.
I study her. “How long were you with your ex-boyfriend?” I question her.
“Long enough.”
“No, I’m not taking that as an answer this time.”
She crosses her arms tightly over her chest. “Too bad. It’s the answer you’re getting.”
“Then I take back asking you to be my girlfriend.”
Virginia sighs through her pursed lips. “Two years, since I moved here.”
“So, what’s the problem?”
“I’m not causing more drama by getting into another relationship, Alex.”
“Then why did you agree to go on all these dates?” She doesn’t answer, and she won’t make eye contact. “What did he do to you that was so horrible that you can’t trust me?”
She looks up at me, and there are tears in her eyes. “He beat me.” My mouth drops. “And I can’t see past that just yet.”
“I had no idea…”
“I want to be with you, Alex, but I can’t when I feel this constant fear.”
I approach her, gently gripping the back of her arms, just above her elbow. “I’m not going to hurt you. I will never touch you like he did.”
“I-I know. I just can’t do this right now. Especially not right before you leave for tour.”
“You know about that, too?”
“I’m pretty sure I knew about it before you did,” she laughs. “Rachel has been stalking you guys like crazy. She’s pretty protective after Jordan.”
“I think that’s the first time I’ve ever heard you say his name,” I marvel. She shrugs.
“It’s a step towards closure, right?”
“Right,” I agree. “So, are we really going to wait this thing out until I get back?”
“I mean, you leave in two weeks. I don’t know how much of a relationship we can get out of that. I want to be with you, Alex. I really do…I think I just need more time before I commit to anything.”
What Danielle told me about Virginia races through my mind. “Is there another guy?” I blurt.
“What? No, Alex. I just need more time to—“
“I’m so sorry –lack of filter. That was definitely not supposed to come out like that.”
Virginia laughs. “Look, I know I have a little bit of a rep, and I would ask that question if I were you, too. You’ve probably caught drift of it by now.”
“Well, so do I. That doesn’t mean I can just ask you that.”
She shrugs like it’s not a big deal. “I’m surprised you don’t want to know more about what you’re getting yourself into.”
“You say it like it’s going to be a problem,” I counter.
“I’ve done a lot of things I’m not proud of.” She shrugs and frowns as if she’s accepted that’s who she is.
“You aren’t what you’ve done, Virginia. You are what it’s built you to be. I’ve done more than a few things I wish I could take back, but it’s not something I want to become me, just sculpt me into a better person.” Virginia takes in every word like a sponge. “You don’t have to be who you’ve been.” I slide both my hands into hers and gently squeeze.
“I don’t think you understand the immensity of some of the things I’ve done,” she mutters. “Alex, I’ve…I’ve been arrested, and I’ve cheated, lied…” She shakes her head out of pure disgust for herself and pulls her hands away.
“You have in the past. You aren’t now. Everyone’s messed up, Virginia. Fuck, I’ve cheated, too. It’s not something I’m proud of…that’s why my relationship with Danielle ended.” I cast a glance down at my shoes. “I got in a fight with her and cheated on her that night. I actually met you the next morning, broke up with her later that day over the phone.”
“Oh my god,” Virginia gasps. “You broke up with her for me. Alex.” She lets out a groan. “That’s why she’s with Jordan. She’s trying to get us both back!”
“That’s why she knew who you were before I even told her,” I realize.
She snaps her head towards me. “You told her about me?”
“Not when we broke up. She was at my house Thursday, and it just sort of slipped out. She told me she was dating your ex and knew who you were already. She’s not going to make this easy.”
“So, maybe it’s a good idea that we wait until you get back.”
I shake my head in rebuttal. “I’m never giving Danielle that satisfaction. I want to be with you, Virginia.”
She smiles, resting her hand on the side of my face. “I know, but I want these two months to get ready for that. And maybe bring my old self back just to screw up Jordan’s relationship with Danielle.”
I smirk, wrapping my arms around her waist. “I never knew you were a mean girl.”
“I was a lot of things up until a few months ago.” She wraps her arms around my neck.
“It’s kind of hot.” She giggles and turns her face away from me. I kiss her cheek quickly. “Are you sure that’s what you want?” She smirks and nods.
“With the things I could do, you won’t want me to be to be known as your girlfriend.”
I frown. “You don’t need to do go balls out, Virginia. You’ve already beat her.” I watch her cheeks flush. “Just remember that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
it's alright, just wait and see.
your string of lights is still bright to me.
who you are is not where you've been;
you're still an innocent.