Come Wake Me Up

oceans between us.

“So, you guys are working on your fourth record soon?” the interviewer asks.
“Yeah, with our third just out, we’ve definitely been messing around with some new sounds, new lyrics. We’d like to have the record out by this time next year,” I answer.
“Hopefully,” Jack adds with a laugh.
“Yeah, things never really come out when we’d like them to,” I agree. “We enjoy touring so much that things just take a little longer.”
“But you’ve been home a lot more than usual lately,” our interviewer speculates.
“Yeah, we’re getting in as much time at home as we can before our big world tour,” Rian chimes in. “We’re super stoked.”
“Is it going to be hard to leave everyone behind for those few months?”
“It’ll be like any other tour, just without the two or three days home in the middle. I know I’ll have people I’ll miss—I always do.” Jack nods in agreement with my statement.
“Like Alex’s mom,” Jack jokes. The band rings with laughter.
“Like my mother.”
“Or your girlfriend Danielle?” the interviewer presses. Zack lets out a loud, shotgun laugh. “Or not…”
“Danielle and I aren’t together—we haven’t been for a while,” I inform him.
“Do you have your sights set on anyone new?”
I smile to myself, thinking of Virginia back home. “You could say that.”
"So, is she back home?" I nod.
"And she hasn't decided she doesn't like him yet," Jack jokes. Rian and Zack break into laughter.
"Even with all the distance between you two? Wow! Any tips for those working on long-distance relationships?"
I take a moment to think about my answer. "There can be oceans between two people, but that's a physical hindering. As long as there's no distance between your relationship, you can make it work."

“I don’t know how to do this,” I state, staring blankly at my computer screen.
“Alex, type in a username,” Virginia laughs.
“I can’t think of one!”
She laughs again. “Then just use your name. Alex Gaskarth. It’s not that hard!” I sigh and type in my name.
“That’s not fun. I want something fun.”
“Mine’s literally ‘Meet Virginia’—like the Train song. That’s not very fun.”
“No, but it’s clever,” I object.
“Alex, I want to see you,” she whines. I laugh, typing in a password and creating my Skype account.
“Hang on.” I match her whiney tone. I hear her huff out a breath of air. “Oh, stop pouting.” The Skype app on my Mac comes to life. “Oh! It’s working! Now what?”
“Add me as a contact.”
“How?” I hold the phone between my shoulder and cheek as I figure out this foreign app.
“You’re a child. I can’t believe that you’ve never used Skype before!”
“I can’t believe you don’t have an iPhone,” I return. She scoffs.
“Androids are obviously better.”
I let out a laugh as I search for her Skype name. “Oh! I found it!” I cheer, clicking on her name. “Wow. Real cute picture, babe.”
“You don’t have to tell me twice,” she laughs. It’s a picture of her and Rachel, both cross-eyed with their tongues sticking out and New Year’s hats on. “Oh! I got your request.” Soon enough, an incoming call notification pops up on my screen. I click answer, and Virginia’s face pops up on my screen.
“Hi!” I greet excitedly.
And that’s how I spend three hours of my night—catching up with Virginia and laughing and talking about anything that comes to mind.
And we never run out of things to say.
♠ ♠ ♠
there might be oceans between us.
in my heart,
in my mind,
we're going to show them what we're made of.