Messy Buns & Ponytails

Is it Really My Fault?

“I don’t think Luke likes me very much.” Jessica said as we were walking back up to the house after an interesting day at the beach.

“Why do you think that?” I asked even though it was probably the fact that she pretended to drown to feel his abs.

“Well, for one he knows I am like your best friend ever,” She turns around to look at Nora and stick her tongue out at her and then continued, “Then there is the fact that he wasn’t happy about me pretending to drown. And last, but not least he flat out told me he doesn’t like me.” I laughed at the last one and gave her a hug to make her feel better.

“So let me guess you are going to bug him until he likes you?” I asked.

“You know me so well.” She gave me the creepy smile and then she linked arms with me and we skipped the rest of the way to the house.

As all eight of us sat in the living room discussing how we were going to spend our summer the doorbell rang. I kind of pissed off everyone last summer and Nora and Chris left after the beach so I was wondering who it could possibly be. When I opened the door I saw the one and only Mackenzie Anderson. In her hand she was holding a welcome back basket filled with a bunch of useless shit. Jessica pops up behind me and I think she noticed the chocolate in the basket and grabbed it right out of Mackenzie’s hand. “Thanks, bitch!” She said with a smile and went back to the living room to share the goodies with the others.

“That is rude calling me a bitch you don’t even know who I am.” Mackenzie said inviting herself in and followed Jessica to the living room.

“Oh sorry I meant dumb bitch.” Jessica said ending it with an evil smirk and then continuing to eat the chocolate.

Mackenzie looked up from Jessica and noticed the four guys that were in the living room and she pushed me back into the hall. I tripped a little bit but the wall stopped me from completely falling. I was just wondering why the hell Mackenzie thought it was necessary to push me. I mean can’t she use her words? “Who the hell are the guys in there?” She said in awe.

“They are my friends and two of them are taken.” I thought I would mention the last part since she probably wants to hook up with one of them.

“Since were great friends can I stay a little longer and you know get to know one of them.” She asked about to walk back into the living room, but I grabbed her arm and pulled her to the front door. I opened up the door and pushed her out of my house.

“Since were such good friends I am not going to suffer through you making a fool of yourself,” then I thought about it and how entertaining it would be. “On the other hand that would be fuckin’ hilarious to watch so come on in.” I smiled and she gave me the stink eye and left. I may not get entertainment, but at least she is gone.

I walk back into the living room where I notice pretty much all the food in the basket was gone and it made me wonder how long I was gone. I laughed and sat down next to Jessica who offered me a piece of her chocolate that I of course took. “Who was she?” Jack asked and I rolled my eyes.

“That was Mackenzie.” I said and Jack tends to think every girl is hot mainly because he is desperate since his girlfriend Hannah broke up with him for some other loser. I think he is better off.

“You described her as an ugly witch who was stupid, but she looked hot to me. And she must be smart if she wants to be friends with you and that’s why she brought the basket.” I smacked him on the back of the head.

“Did you call her a witch instead of a bitch? If you did then I feel bad for calling her a bitch when she is really a witch.” Jessica stated.

“No worries I said bitch.” Jessica gave me a thumbs up and leaned back into the couch finishing off her chocolate bar.

“Maybe you just never really got to know who she was. I mean that Mitch guy you talked about he didn’t turn out to be who you thought he was.” Jack had a good point because I never really gave Mackenzie a chance. I just started to be a bitch to her and the golden rule is ‘treat others the way you want to be treated.’ Maybe Mackenzie did want a fresh start, but the question was will I be willing to give her one?

Later that night I actually got the answer to that question. I went outside on the roof when pretty much everyone was sleeping, except Michael and Tanya who were probably playing with each other. I was watching Luke’s and Mackenzie’s house for some odd reason and I notice Mackenzie walking outside, slamming the door behind her. I climbed back into my room and went outside.

I grabbed a lounge chair to stand on so I could see over the fence that grew since the last time I was here. I assumed it was because of the affair between Mrs. Anderson and my dad. Anyways when I saw Mackenzie I realized she was crying. I may be a bitch, but I wasn’t a heartless bitch. “Hey, what’s wrong?” I startled her and when she noticed it was me she whipped away her tears.

“It’s been a tough year and I don’t blame you, but Luke definitely does.” I gave her a weird look because she didn’t really answer my question and why would Luke blame for something. “My dad of course found out about the affair and now they have been fighting 24/7 and they are officially getting a divorce. I hate it so much.” A tear fell from her face and now it made sense why Luke blames me.

“Thanks for not blaming me.” I was trying to be nice, but it was just so hard.

“It was my mom’s fault for being stupid. The only thing I blame you for is the fact that my brother decided to rebel against my parents. He has been acting out, hanging with bad influences, and I am so scared for him.” Wow I rather be blamed for the other thing.

Mackenzie’s life seemed like crap right now and I do feel like it is all my fault, so I ended my first day here letting her know that I am willing to try to be friends with her and help her get through her last summer with her now messed up family.