Status: will post as often as possible

Mind of a Monster

Home

I drove home frantically to check on my wife and daughter. A wave of panic rushed through me when I thought that they could be next.

I fumbled with my cell phone as I searched for my wife’s number, breaking many traffic laws in the process.

Pressing ‘send’ I listen to the other end ring and ring until it went to voice mail.

“Fuck.” I said out loud as I lay on the gas pedal.
In home of trying again I called the house phone.

“Please pick up. Please pick up.” I repeated over and over to myself.

“Hello?” I heard her soft angelic voice through the phone. Wave of relief rushed over me.

“Honey where are you right now?” I spat out in a panic.

“I’m in the living room. Babe you called the house phone, where else would I be?” Her voice sounded confused and I understood why. I must have sounded insane.

“I’m on my way home. Take Emily and go down to the basement. Don’t do a thing until I get home.” I ordered her.

“What’s going on Trent?” she asked worried.

“I’ll explain when I get home sweat heart I promise. Just please, don’t question me right now.” I felt my heart rate rise.

“I just don’t understand…” She began but I cut her off.

“Just fucking do it!” I spat and hung up the phone.

I sped down our street and wiped into the drive way.
Drawing my gun from the holster, I took slow prepared steps through the front door. I looked in every corner of the room. I had never felt like more of a stranger in my own home.

Taking one more step I had come to the conclusion it was all clear.

“Sam!” I called my wife’s name.

“Trent!” I heard her voice coming from the basement.

I ran to the door and peeked down the steps, gun grasped tightly in my hand. She was standing at the foot of the stair way cradling Emily tightly in her arms. She looked up at me and marched up the stairs.

“What the fuck Trent?” she yelled, “You scream at me and hang up on me on the phone, and then you point the gun at me? What the hell is wrong with you? Have you gone completely insane?” She spat right in my face.

I sighed and shook my head. She was right.

“I had a bad night and I was worried. I just wanted to make sure you were okay.”
Sam looked at me, fear in her hazel eyes. She hadn’t seen me like this since the last time.

“It’s happening again? Isn’t it?” Her voice lowered.
A tremor rolled through every limb of my body. I stepped toward the pair and gently stroked the
hair of my sleeping daughter.

“I don’t know Sam.” I murmured, “I need to check to see if Brad is still in the institution.”

“What if he’s not!” she yelled making Emily stir in her sleep, “I can’t do this again. I can’t start running again.” A tear slid down her cheek and I help her in my arms.

“I won’t let it happen again baby.” He explained, “Go to your mothers. I’m checking at the Institution tomorrow and I don’t want you hear when I do. You’ll be safe there. I promise.”

I took Emily from Sam’s arms and carried her up to her room, tucking her into bed.

I kissed her for head and placed her teddy bear in her arms. Just as I turned to leave I heard a little voice.

“Daddy.” She said looking at me with tired eyes.

I sat back down on the edge of her bed and smiled down at her.

“What’s wrong daddy?” Her voice was so small and so concerned. Her blonde curls were everywhere and her green eyes were scared.

“You and mommy are going to grandmas tomorrow.” I explained.

“Are you coming too?” She asked sitting up and looking my right in the eye.

“No baby. I promise I’ll see you soon.” I heard myself lie through my teeth.
She nodded and accepted my words. I could tell she was tired. She curled up in her bed with her thumb bin her mouth. I kissed her head and left her to sleep.