Status: In progress!

You're Gonna Hate Me for This

If It Hurts This Much, Then It Must Be Love

“Well I guess this is goodbye for now,” Liz hugged her middle child tightly.

“It’s only one summer, Mum! If it makes you feel any better I don’t think Matt will move out until he’s 40,” Sarah grinned and hugged her mother back. Liz smiled but there were tears in her eyes. Sarah hugged her mother again, promising to come home.

~

Josh was on the edge of his seat. He knew if he didn’t get to the station in time then his chances with Sarah were shot.

“Will you relax mate?” Matt glared at him without taking his eyes off the road, “We’re gonna make it!” Josh looked at his best friend skeptically.

“Stop looking at me like that,” Matt laughed.

“I will continue to give you this look until we make it on time,” Josh huffed, crossing his arms.

“Diva,” Matt muttered under his breath. Josh glared even harder.

“Calm yourself, Princess. We’re here,” Matt said as he put the car in park.

~

“Sarah!”

She whipped her head around at the sound of her name. “What are you two doing here?” her face lit up as the boys enveloped her in a rather large hug.

“We couldn’t let you leave without a proper send off!”

~

Josh’s face dropped as he spotted Sarah at the gate. “What are they doing here?” he asked Matt.

“The same thing we are, Dummy!” he chuckled and went to join the group.

~

“I’m glad you guys came to-“ Sarah stopped as a tall figure put their arms around her.

“Matt!” both Max and Dan grinned. Sarah spun around when she realized it was her brother and smacked him.

“Don’t scare me like that,” her face was bright red.

“We came to surprise you but I see that’s already been done,” Josh said as he approched them.

Sarah didn’t say anything. She pulled away from her brother and nearly tackled Josh. “I’m sorry,” she mumbled into his chest.

“For what, love?” he chuckled as he tipped her chin up so he could look into her eyes.

“For leaving without saying goodbye,” she wanted to look away but his gorgeous blue eyes were making it so difficult, “I didn’t mean all those things I said last night and you’re making it really hard to leave right now.”

Josh smiled in spite of himself and brought his head down to whisper in her ear. “I’ll wait all summer if it means you’ll be mine in the end, yeah?”

Before she could answer him Max was shouting across the station, “Would you two stop smooching and get over here? You’re gonna miss your train!” The two teenagers were bright red as they pulled apart and rejoined the group.

Sarah couldn’t help but think that had there been significantly less people around that conversation would have gone a lot differently. Hell, she was moments away from kissing her best friend! She wasn’t sure whether it was a good or bad thing that Max and Dan had shown up, but she was glad to have such a big send off nonetheless.

“If only Chew were here, then it would be a real party!” Matt chuckled, throwing an arm over his sister’s shoulders and bringing her back to reality.

“Ask and your wish shall be granted!” Chris called from behind them.

“What are you doing here?” Sarah looked positively puzzled.

“The same thing Matt,” he replied with a soft smile, “Giving my baby sister a proper goodbye.”

“I am NOT your baby sister!” Everyone turned to see Caileah Miller hauling four pieces of luggage with no apparent help from her brother.

“Let me help you with that!” Max said as he ran off to Caileah’s aid.

“The poor lad,” Dan chuckled.

“What do you mean by that?” Sarah piped up. All the boys started to laugh.

“Max thinks he stands a chance with her,” Matt told his sister quietly.

“Not if I have anything to say about it!” Everyone laughed at Chris’s interjection while Max helped Caileah with her bags, oblivious to the whole conversation.

“Where are your bags, sis?” Matt turned to Sarah.

“Mum helped me put them on the train when we got here. I only have my carry on,” she replied smugly.

“Well then we won’t offer our help,” Matt said with a hint of annoyance in his voice.

“Someone should help Max though,” Dan laughed, “the poor bird might break his back if we don’t!”

Chris went to help Max as everyone else said their final goodbyes for the summer. Sarah was fine even when she hugged her mum and Matt, but her eyes started to well up when Josh hugged her one last time.

“It’s only one summer, yeah? We’ll manage,” he tried to smile in spite of the situation.

Sarah hugged him even tighter before answering. “To the end of the summer then,” she forced a smile and stretched herself up on her toes to give him a quick peck on the cheek, hoping that no one noticed.

Josh chuckled as he returned the favour, “I’m gonna miss you so much, Barnes.”

The tears started to roll down her cheeks as she gave her brother one last hug before Caileah led her for the train. She was thankful for them getting on it so late as it started moving before they reached their car. Neither saw the row of sad faces watching for them. They had no idea that the next time they saw any of them, everything would have changed for better or for worse.
♠ ♠ ♠
My inspiration is back! Hope you guys are liking where this is going so far, because I've got a few plot twists up my sleeve ;)

Thank you so much to everyone that subscribed. It means so much to me!

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, thank you to the 3 of you who have commented thus far!

Also if you want to follow me on twitter to see when I'm writing (or because you need a little more sass in your life) my username is TIGERSandVIC :)

Cheers!