‹ Prequel: Changing the Girl
Status: Oh my gosh Im busy! Uh unless I get more encouragement, it'll take me like a week.

Daughter of the Girl

Letting Some of Her Secrets Go So New Ones Can Be Discovered

I sat down at our dark kitchen table. Alex looked up from his phone to give me a welcoming smile. I gave him an assertive look, something I picked up in the GSA. His smile slowly faded, and he put his phone down.

“Alex, we need to talk.” I said seriously. Alex shifted to look at me head on.

“Yeah babygirl?” He asked me, concern etched into his features.

“I want to know more about Mom.” I stated firmly.

Alex would talk about her whenever I asked. He wanted me to know about her and knew she’d want me to know. But I was asking for more. This time, I was asking for much more.

“I’ve told you a lot already, what else would you like to know?” Alex asked carefully.

“I don’t want you to tell me.” A confused expression passed over his aged face. “I want to meet
the people she toured with. I want to know the people she knew before she toured. I want to ask them about her. I want other people’s point of view also. I just want to know the her that others knew.”

I loved many things about my uncle, but the one I loved the most was: he understood. Alex looked at me, and bit his lip.

“You might not like what you find.” He warned me.

“I’ve read her diary, I know I won’t.” I warned him. Alex paled slightly. I knew.

“You have to underst-“ Alex started to rush, losing his cool demeanor as the seconds ticked.

“I do.” I said, reaching across and gripping his hand. Alex froze, staring at our hands, then
slowly raised his gaze to my face. “She explained why. I…It’s okay. I’m okay with it.” I whispered the last part. Alex looked apprehensive.

“I-un-uh-ah…I…oh god, how do I put this?” Alex squeezed my hand, looking extremely uncomfortable. “I…I love you like a niece.” He started to explain, his voice mirroring his body language. A horrified look stamped itself on my face. I pulled my hand back.

“Oh gosh no! You thought I…? Dude.” I shook my head. Alex looked at me in defense.

“Well excuse me! I’m a very attractive person!”

“You’re 49! You’re old!” I exclaimed.

“Just because you’re 14!” Alex whined. I giggled at him. He shook his head, trying to stifle his grin. “Okay. I get what you mean.” Alex said, slowly turning serious. I looked to him in strict attentiveness. “You don’t know the important stuff because of how bad it all sounds. Some of it is. But I want a plan though, of how you want to accomplish this.” He told me as I grinned.

“You remember ATL Straight to DVD? And what Zack said?” Alex looked slightly confused. “He said that he didn’t see you guys being in your 40’s or 50’s dragging their kids around the country. Look where you are now.” I smirked.

“You’re not my kid-“ Alex started to shrug off.

“Ever since you took me in two years ago, I became yours.” I countered.

“I have a teenager…” He said, shaking his head.

“Old man.”

“Shut up!” He whined. Then his eyes widened. “Around the country?”

I took a breath. “I was wondering if we could drive to the band members houses or places where we could meet? Bonding experience!” I offered. He shook his head in disbelief.

“Leave it to you to come up with that!” Alex rolled his eyes. “But if we’re doing this I’m not going to do it for you. I’ll drive you. I’ll walk you to the door. I’ll give you background information. But you’re conducting the interviews yourself, by yourself. I won’t go with you.” My uncle told me seriously.

“I know. I was kind of counting on it. Except for the first few I want to do.” I rushed the last sentence. Alex raised an eye brow. “I want to talk to Rejected Since Birth and the people from that time.”

Alex’s face darkened. “You mean what’s left of them?”

“Left…?” I asked faintly.

“Yeah. Drugs, alcohol, suicide. You name it, one of those people probably died from it.” He told me, standing up to put his dish away.

“But Sam didn’t. And neither did Lysander.” I called to his back. Alex dropped the mug, creating a loud crash.

“Did you read that too?” His dangerously calm voice told me what he wanted to hear. But he’d find out sooner or later, and maybe Alex could help.

“No.” Alex sucked in a breath and turned to face me. “No, Lysander waited for me after school.

He talked to me about her a little, and then told me he’d be back the next day. He came back and gave me an old necklace of hers, his phone number, and someone named Sam’s.” I said. On the inside I was nervous as hell, but I kept my cool. Alex took a few calming breaths.

“You didn’t tell me because?”

“I knew you would be upset and I didn’t think-“ I started to explain almost desperately.

“That’s right! You couldn’t have been thinking! Do you know what he did to her?” Alex asked in an accusing sort of tone. I swallowed.

“Actually, yes. I do. She explained it and then Lysander did.” I told him carefully.

“Okay, here’s what’s going to happen.” Alex said trying to calm down enough to be reasonable. “I will go with you to talk to them. But if they pull anything we are leaving immediately. Understand?” He gave me a hard look.

“I understand.” I said quietly.

“Good. I’ll contact them and anyone else she knew or might have known, okay?” I nodded, a small, grateful smile painting itself on my pale face.

“Thank you.” I sincerely told him.

“Yeah, yeah, I know I’m awesome. Why don’t you talk to Jace and Katie today, tell them what’s going on?” He suggested tiredly.

“Heh Jace actually suggested it, so they don’t mind. But I think I should tell them." I thought aloud. He nodded, rubbing his face.

I got up from my chair and took his hands from his face. I sat on his lap, and cuddled into him, his arms wrapping around me. “Love you Lexi.”I said in a little kid voice. Alex kissed my head.

“Love you too Scare.”
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter!

Specifically this is for ThisKitty because I didn't know what I wanted to do with this chapter. So I ranted to her, and figured it because of that. Thanks hun!

My spacebar is being a bitch.

Whatcha think?

Two subscribers in advance!

Check out izzysreclist.tumblr.com because I'm adding awesomeness. And it has amazing stories (and then there's mine) on it.

Love ya!