Status: COMPLETED.

The Man Who Couldn't Die

TWENTY;

He sat in his room for hours, contemplating what he would say to her. He stared at the picture on the wall. It was from their wedding night. He was in his uniform and she looked so beautiful in her white gown. Even then, nothing was the same as it had been before.

He heard the door slam downstairs and he closed his eyes.

"Rhett?" Holland called. In a second, she was upstairs and coming towards him. His eyes were still closed.

"There you are!" she exclaimed, closing the door behind her. He opened his eyes and she sat down next to him on the bed. "Where were you this morning?"

"I, was," he cleared his throat, his eyes flickering down to her protruding stomach. His own child was growing in there. He looked away almost immediately. "I was in the garden," he said.

"Oh, well I had my doctor's appointment today," Holland explained. "I wish you were there. I actually told you about it..." she furrowed her eyebrows.

"I forgot."

"Well, Dr. Jennings said everything was good," she smiled.

He closed his eyes and shook his head. "No," he muttered.

"The expected due–"

"No!" He stood up, opening his eyes. Holland looked up at him, confused.

"Rhett, what's wrong?"

"I can't do this."

"Do what?"

"HAVE ALL OF THIS!" he yelled. Holland was taken aback and she stood up slowly. She looked at him with wide eyes and he said, "I've tried getting better. I've tried everything. I can't do this anymore."

"Rhett, what are you saying?" Holland asked, her voice weak.

"I've given this a lot of thought and I want to rejoin the army," he said, finally. He looked straight into her eyes and waited for a response. "I want to go back there and–"

"And what?!" Holland snapped. "You will die, Rhett."

"I know," he nodded.

Holland shook her head. Her breath was coming short and she ran her fingers through her hair. She couldn't believe what was happening. All that they had been through, just for this.

"Holland..." He reached to touch her arm, but she pulled it away and took a step back from him. He sighed, "Holland, please..."

"No," she shook her head. She turned around and when she reached the door, she said, "We're done, Rhett."