Status: COMPLETED.

The Man Who Couldn't Die

TWENTY-ONE;

They locked themselves in their house for five days without ever leaving. The first day, Holland stayed in the bedroom with half the food from their refrigerator. Rhett tried to talk to her, but she didn't say a single word. The second day, she moved to the room that was going to be the nursery for the baby. Rhett managed to get in but she was asleep on the floor, so he placed a blanket over her and left her be. The third day, she went to the kitchen to get something to eat, but when he caught her, she slapped him across the face and went back to the nursery. The fourth day, she came out to the living room, where he was, and sat down next to him. They listened to the radio until the fifth day, when they turned it off and turned to look at each other.

"You're willing to leave me and your unborn child to go to a war that killed your brother and almost killed you, just so you can die?" Holland asked, bitterness in her voice.

"Holland..." he sighed. "You don't understand."

"Enlighten me, Rhett! Tell me! What am I missing here that you would rather die than be with me?"

"Holland, that's not–no! That's not what I meant! Of course I want to be with you. I love you more than anything in this world. I just–" he sighed, shaking his head. "I don't feel like I deserve to be here anymore. I've almost died so many times I can barely remember some of the things that's happened to me."

"You selfish bastard," Holland whispered, closing her eyes. She stood up and exclaimed, "You're having a baby! How can you say these things to me? You want to die. You want to end your life and leave me and your child alone in this world."

"Holland, I'm sorry. I don't know how else I can explain this to you. This is just...this is for the best. You know I love you."

"What is the point of us being together if this is how you want the rest of your life to go?" Holland asked, the tears falling.

"Holland, I love you," Rhett whispered. "I don't know what I want out of this. This is just all I can think about day and night."

"Rhett–" Holland started, placing a hand on stomach. Her eyes were wide.

"Hol, I want this baby to have someone who'll give it everything. I can't do that! Not when I'm feeling like this–like I have no reason to be here anymore. I know that this is selfish, but I know you can do this. I would never do anything that I knew you couldn't handle, Holland."

"Rhett–!" Holland exclaimed, a searing pain shooting through her abdomen. She cried in pain; this wasn't normal. Holland doubled over and Rhett exclaimed, "Holland?!" before she collapsed on the floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
I updated twice tonight so if you missed it, check out chapter 21!