Status: new story that i'm starting. one chapter per week. comment and let me know what you think.

Contemporary Love

Chapter Three: Dancer's Talk

Chapter Three: Dancer’s Talk

I jumped a little and then laughed as I opened my window.

“You scared me.” I said and he chuckled.

“Sorry Mac.” He said as he opened his window.

“Well at least I’ll have a pretty view every morning when I wake up.” Blake said and I looked down, blushing.

“If you consider Godzilla a pretty view then sure.” I said and he chuckled.

“I’m sure you’re not that bad.” He said and leaned against his windowsill as I did the same.

“I have a honeycomb for a hairdo and bags under my eyes bigger than your grandma’s purse.” I said and he cracked a smile.

“Well maybe you need a break from your life. You’re a teenager, not a mother. You deserve to live a little.” He said and I nodded.

“I know, but now that Danny is in the picture, he comes first. I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if something happened to him while I was relaxing, or god forbid the social services comes because Ruth doesn’t know how to be a mother.” I said and huffed as a said Ruth’s name.

“Well I think you’re doing a great job so far, just hang in there. And sleep well tonight. No more bags as big as my grandma’s purse under those pretty eyes of yours, you hear me Macie Aurora?” he said in a playful scolding voice.

“Yes dad.” I said and closed my curtains, but leaving my window open for the breeze that comes through at night.

I changed into my pajamas and went to check on Danny one more time before locking the doors. I walked back into my room and fish-tailed my hair quickly before brushing my teeth. I couldn’t help myself form peeking through my curtains one more time. I really had to get a grip of myself. I couldn’t afford to start falling for someone right now. Danny was my only priority now and my happiness is on the back burner. I held onto the stuffed frog that my dad gave me as a toddler and tried to sleep.

I woke up to the sound of a radio the next morning and groaned. It was only five o’clock and I normally got up at five forty-five. I was going to hurt someone. I knew it wasn’t Danny because he would have come to wake me up, so that left the new neighbor. I opened my curtain and saw Blake dancing around while eating the chicken from last night. I slammed my window shut. I was not a happy camper when I got woken up before I had to be woken up.

As the morning dragged on Danny was in an even worse mood than I was. He told me that he had a nightmare last light and he couldn’t find his teddy to make it better. He even refused to eat my pancakes that I made him for breakfast so I packed some dry cereal for the bus trip. As we walked out the door to get ready to go to his school, Blake walked outside too, and met us at our car.

“Good morning Mac and Danny.” Blake said and I sneered.

“It was a good morning until I got woken up by a radio and horrible dancing.” I huffed and backed out of the driveway. Blake turned his head toward me quickly.

“Shit you saw that? I’m sorry Macie; I didn’t think that it was that loud. I’ll try and keep it down next time, I promise.” He said and I nodded.

“Twenty-five cents in the swear jar Mister.” Danny said and Blake laughed.

“He’s not joking Blake. We have a swear jar at home, and one in the car, so quarter up bub.” I said as Danny rummaged around in the back for the jar.

“Here it is!” Danny exclaimed, and thrusted the jar towards Blake’s head. He pulled a quarter out of his wallet and put it in the jar.

“Thank you.” Danny said happily and put the jar back down. The rest of the ride was silent besides my quite singing along to the songs on the radio. Blake followed us into the day care center for the second time and Danny skipped ahead a few feet.

“Is he excited for the field trip?” Blake asked me and I shrugged.

“He seems happy enough. I’m just going to miss him when he’s gone. It’s going to be a lonely night that’s all.” I said and he nodded.

“Hello Macie, Danny, and Mr. Blake.” Mrs. Jones said as we entered.

“Blake is fine Ma’am.” He said and she nodded.

“Are you excited Daniel?” Mrs. Jones asked and Danny hid behind my leg and nodded.

“You have his extra epi-pen right? I put the other in his bag just in case.” I said and she nodded.

“It’s right here in the emergency bag. I’m sure nothing is going to happen.” She said and I shrugged.

“Better safe than sorry I guess.” I said and gave Danny one last hug and kiss.

“I’m gonna miss you Mac.” He said as his lip quivered.

“Hey Buddy, no crying. I’ll see you in a few days. Just remember, when you look at the moon, I’ll be looking at it too, and I’ll be thinking of you. Now you have fun, and take lots of pictures okay?” I said and he nodded and hugged me again before waving goodbye and walking over to the blocks.

“Have a safe trip Mrs. Jones.” I said and headed back out to my car with Blake.

“Well that was more difficult that I thought it was going to be.” Said as I wiped the under neigh of my eye.

“I’m sure it’s going to get easier the more you do it.” Blake said and I nodded.

“Well, let’s get to school. We don’t want to be late on your second day there.” I said and he chuckled. We made it through our classes easily, and this time had the Italian bar for lunch. As we made our way to the bottom floor, I knew that something was off. Everyone was changed into their dance clothes, but no one was talking. They were all sitting in a circle. Blake and I joined them and I looked around. I looked at the girl next to me to see if she knew what was going on.

“Do you know what’s going on?” I asked and she shook her head.

“No, we were just told to change into our dance clothes and sit in a circle and don’t talk.” she said and I nodded.

“Okay, thanks anyway.” I said with a small smile which she returned. A few minutes later our instructors came into the studio.

“Good afternoon guys and gals, I trust that you’re all wondering why you’re all sitting around right?” Autumn asked and we all mumbled in agreement.

“Well, we have decided to enter a select number of you into the national dance competition for this year. The top male dancer and the top female dancer will receive a scholarship to Julliard. We’re giving you the rest of the week to finalize your audition, because we will be picking who goes. There will be no group dancing, only individual so we can assess everyone equally. You can however help each other if you’d like to. I will have the list posted in the order that you will audition in for Friday. I hope that you guys will get creative with your moves, and really wow us, because not everyone will be going through. If you use a prop, the dance only has to be a minute or two, but if not it has to be longer. This is because integrating a prop into a dance can be difficult, whereas dancing without one is easier. Good luck, and start choreographing.” James finished for her and the studio came alive with a buzz. Everyone was talking about what they were going to do. Blake and I were the only quiet ones in the studio.

“Do you want to go to the back and start brain storming ideas for our auditions?” Blake asked me after a few minutes and I nodded. We got up and made our way to the back. We sat there for a while until I got an idea.

“How about I design your audition, and you design mine? This will help us if we ever get paired together. We can trust each other’s skills and creativity.” I said and he smiled.

“That sounds great. Let’s get started.” He said and helped me up.

By the end of practice we were both covered in sweat and breathing hard. I looked at Blake and smiled, which he returned.

“We’re going to rock this audition.” He said and picked me up and twirled me around. I laughed and hit his shoulder so he would put me down.

“That we are, but I have to go, I have to be to work soon and I need a shower before then, but we need to work on our solos some more so when can we meet up?” I asked and chugged some water down.

“How about tomorrow night?” he said and I shook my head.

“I have to work and then pick up Danny. How about Thursday afternoon?” I asked and he nodded.

“Yeah that sounds good. I’m free whenever you need me Mac. Have fun at work.” He said.

“Shoot, I’m your ride home.” I said and he frowned.

“That’s right. Can you drop me off on your way to work?” he asked and I calculated the timing in my head.

“Yeah if we hurry. Let me shower quickly, and meet me out by my car in ten.” I said and sprinted into the showers. I quickly showered and threw on my uniform. I ran to my locker and then ran out to my car. I was going to be pushing it for time. When Blake saw me he smirked.

“Well this is picture worthy.” He said and I smacked his arm.

“Shut up, it brings in the money that I need, so I’m not complaining. And I like the fifties look.” I said and looked at my yellow and black poodle skirt and my bright yellow top. I started the car and drove just above the speed limit all the way to Blake’s house.

“Thanks again Mac. I hope that you’re not late for work.” He said and grabbed his bags from the back seat.

“Don’t worry about it. And this will be my first time if I’m late. I’m sure that my boss won’t mind. And thank you again for helping with my choreography today. I can’t wait to see the finished product.” I said and waved goodbye to him as he walked up the front path to his house. I waited until he was inside to drive away. As I pulled into the diner, I saw that I had about a minute to clock in. I dashed inside and waved to Joey and Joyce, the owners of the place.

“Just in time Macie. What kept you so long?” Joyce asked as I punched in.

“I had to drop a friend off at his house after school. It won’t happen again, I swear.” I said and she laughed.

“A friend? And it’s a male? Where has my Macie gone to?” she said and I blushed.

“She’s right here, and she was just being nice. And we’re not really friends, he’s my neighbor and I just happen to give him a ride to school. That’s all.” I said and she shrugged.

“Mhm, I’m sure that’s all it is.” She said and walked over to go greet a couple that had just walked in. She seated them in my section, so I went over to take their order.

“Hi my name is Macie, and I’ll be your waitress tonight. What can I start you off with to drink folks?” I asked with my signature smile for work.

“We’re going to split a chocolate malt shake please.” The elderly woman said and I nodded.

“Whipped cream and a cherry on top too?” I asked and she nodded. “Alright I’ll be back with that for you in a few minutes. In the meantime have at our menu. I’ll take your order when I get back.” I said and walked away to place the drink order.

“One cold brown cow with whip and cherry on top.” I said and Terry, the drink prep nodded.

“Where do you come up with these things Macie?” he asked with a chuckle and I shrugged.

“Just keeping things original.” I said and waited for the milkshake to be done.

“Here’s you cold brown cow with whip and cherry on top.” He said and I smiled.

“Thanks Terry.” I said and walked back to my table.

“Here’s your milkshake, now what would you like to order?” I asked as they continued to browse through the menu.

“I’ll have the All American Burger, medium rare, with no mustard and extra relish, with a side of chili fries.” The man said and I wrote it down on my pad.

“And for you Mrs?” I asked and she shrugged.

“I’ll have the chicken club sandwich with curly fries I guess.” She said and I nodded.

“Alright, I’ll go put your order in and it will be out in about ten minutes. In the meantime, feel free to pick out some music from the music box.” I said and walked away.

The rest of the evening went smoothly and by ten o’clock I was ready to go. I clocked out and went out to my car. It started with ease, and I drove home in a comfortable silence. I pulled into my driveway and killed the engine. Going inside, it was eerily quiet and I didn’t like it. I grabbed a drink from the fridge and walked into my room after locking the doors. I turned on my light and turned the radio on softly. I wasn’t used to being alone, and I really missed Danny. I changed into my pajamas, and climbed into my bed with the music still playing softly. I tried to fall asleep for a while, but it just didn’t happen. I got up and turned on my side lamp. I sat in my chair and looked out my window and up to the moon.

“I miss you Danny. I told you I’d be looking at the same moon and thinking about you.” I said and wiped a tear from my eye. I closed my eyes for a few seconds and reopened them to see Blake staring back at me. I jumped in my chair and held a hand over my heart.

“You scared me again Blake. What the heck?” I said and he looked down sheepishly.

“Are you okay Macie?” he asked and I shrugged.

“I just miss Danny. And I can’t sleep that’s all. I don’t like being the only one home. I get lonely.” I said and he nodded.

“I can come over if you’d like? That way you won’t be lonely long.” He said and started to climb through his window. He ran across the small lawn between our windows and climbed in through mine.

“Now go to sleep, you’ll need it for the dancing we’re going to be doing tomorrow.” He said and made me get back in bed.

“Yes dad.” I said and he smiled.

“I’ll stay here until you fall asleep.” He said and I nodded. It didn’t take me long to fall asleep at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment and please let me know what you think