I'm Fine in the Fire, Don't Try and Fix Me

Pulling Me Back

It was early in the morning when I woke up. My mind still didn't seem to comprehend what was happening to me. All it could do was my normal routine. Get up, get dressed, get breakfast, leave for school with my brother. But, I couldn't do that today. No, Vlad asked my dad if he could drive us, and he said yes.

Though, it isn't much of a surprise, I would still like to be in charge of my own decisions. Who am I kidding? That's a horrible idea. Oh, stop laughing! I know you think I'm completely hopeless at this whole romantic crap, but I am still my own person. Well, now I'm not just one person. I'm two. I'm a mate, in a couple, a couple with two people. It was different to think I was by myself anymore, but then again I couldn't tell what kind of different, the good or the bad. Yeah, I know. I'm hopeless.

"So, does this mean that you and him are going to be making out at stops signs and stuff?" Blake asked.

I looked at him for a moment, processing the strange question passing through his lips. "Why would we do that?" I asked.

He shrugged. "That's what's mates do, isn't it? I mean that's what mom and dad sometimes do when they think we aren't watching."

"That's different," I said. "They've been mated for over twenty years. I've known Vlad for what? Less than a couple of months? Besides, you know I'm not like that."

"I knew it." He muttered to himself.

"Knew what?" I asked suspiciously.

He looked up at me like he just got caught stealing the last cookie or something. "Well," he started without looking over at me. "Thane and I were talking with dad last night, after you went to bed, and dad was saying how he was worried that you weren't going to open up to Vlad at all. Like, you wouldn't even try to make this thing work." His eyes darted around the room, never crossing over to look near me.

"Dad said that?" I asked. My voice didn't sound quiet at the time, but I realized later I could barely hear it myself.

He looked down slightly and nodded.

I just stood there in shock for a moment. Dad, of all people, didn't think I could do this. He never said that about my mother when she was in new situations. He didn't seem worried about anyone else, but he didn't think I could do this. I didn't really know what to think. What would you? Knowing your father thought that your relationship, set out to be perfect, would end in turmoil, what then? Maybe, this isn't a big shock. I wasn't the best in social situations, but I wasn't that pathetic was I? How should you know? You're forced to like me.

There was a quick knock on the door. "Um, we should get going then." I muttered to him. He looked upset, but it wasn't his fault really. He was just the messenger, and you know what they say about shooting them. You shouldn't.

Vlad smiled at me when I answered the door. I could barely manage a small, fake one. There was a part of me that noticed that, well, he noticed, but I choose to ignore it and brushed past him. I shouldn't get to upset over this. It wasn't good for anyone, almost dangerous.

I would hear Vlad greet Blake, but the others words they said seemed to be mumbled out. Damn, why is this getting me upset? It was nothing new! I was used to people not having faith in me. It wasn't fucking new! Why did this one hurt more than the others then? Why did it sting when the others were a distant memory? I couldn't answer my own questions. Maybe one day you can, but right now, I can't.

Blake and Vlad both threw me questioning, even concerned glances every now and then, as if I was sitting there crying and they didn't know what to do about it. I don't cry, for one. Never have, and I most likely never will. They shouldn't worry about me. I'm not that important in the grand scheme of things.

We got to the school in what seemed like a blur. Blake got out, so did I, and so did Vlad. These things were normal. What wasn't normal was the fact that Vlad pulled me back while Blake continued to walk to school. I gave him a questioning look.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"I'm fine," I said. "Nothing's wrong."

He sighed. "You're lying."

"No, I'm not." I countered.

"Liam, will you just tell me what's wrong, please? I could help." He suggested.

"Why do you care?" I spat before I realized it.

He seemed to find that question so amusing to himself. "Why do I care?" He repeated to himself. "You've been alone for so long that you can't figure out how to work with another person. I understand that, okay? You're scared, and you don't know what to do." He said.

"I'm not scared." I whispered, though I even knew that was a lie. I was terrified, petrified even. The thought of this relationship made me want to turn into stone the second it was mentioned.

"But, you are, and that's fine. Darling, I know what to do. I know how this works, so just trust me," he said with a smile. "I care about you, Liam. I really, really do. One you'll se that. Now come on, if you're late, you're mother will eat me for dinner."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, I know, but now the stress is over, so more updates.