I'm Fine in the Fire, Don't Try and Fix Me

Freak Of Nature

I shifted my gaze from my desk to the teacher. This wasn't a particularly interesting class, and this wasn't a very interesting school. It was just to pass the time, honestly. School wasn't really for me. It was a social world. I wasn't social. Therefore, I didn't fit in.

Sometimes I would get a look here and there. Once, someone who was new tried to be my friend. Then, they heard the rumors. They weren't anything bad, just stuff like I was a freak of nature and thing of that nature. It didn't bother me that much thought because technically, I am a freak of nature. I wasn't normal. I can do things other kids can't. It intimidates them. Well, I like to think that because then I can pretend that maybe, just maybe, it wasn't me that they hated. It was my blood. You can't blame your blood for your misfortune, but others can. So, if they just hated what was inside of me, they didn't really hate me. I liked it better that way.

I was in math, I think. Like I said, I wasn't paying much attention. Math was easier than most other subjects for me. It was same for my mother, so I used to think it was because of her. I later learned it was the fact that there was a right and a wrong answer. You can't judge numbers. You can't take what happened in the last problem and compare it to this one because you could get it wrong. I'm thinking too much again. Bad thing happen when I think too much.

This was my last class, though, so that was at least good. I suffered through all the other subjects, eating alone at lunch, and then the weird looks in the hall. It isn't always like that. When my brother is around, things are different.

I think there is something I forgot to mention about my father. He was very, very frightening. People say they have never seen so much rage in one dom before. Also, he was a class one dom. Now, that doesn't make much sense to someone who doesn't understand it. Let me put it into perspective. There are ten cases of doms. You earn your ranking the older you get and the more experience and training you have. Now, my uncle Ronnie is the type of dom that when you see him, you run out of the way, and I mean like full on sprint. He's only a class three dom. That was very respectable, and it can take a life time to make it to there. But, my father was better than that. He was a class one, and he didn't just become class one. He became a class one in high school, before his senior year even. That rarely happens. In fact, it happened once. That was my father. More likely than not, if you were to become a class one dom, it would be after a few hundred years, and you usually die shortly after that. As depressing as that sounds, it's true. Most class one doms are dead. There are maybe two hundred out of a few billion, and by far, my father is the most famous. Everyone knows the name Oliver Sykes.

I'm pretty sure that's why I wasn't picked on. Everyone was terrified of my father, even doms. And, if you hurt me, he will personally see to it that you have a long and painful death. He doesn't care who you are. I'm his child. He would kill anyone for his family, especially his only fertile.

Back to the point, my brother protected me from everyone's stares, and he was also one of my only friends. Remember, everyone thinks I am a weirdo, a freak, an outsider. But, not with him. My brother was already a class three. It was possible that he was going to be a class one by the time he was twenty, my other brother as well. So, when he walks by, people respect him, even the older doms. Not only is he more powerful, than most of these people and their fathers, but everything he knows was taught by my father. Add those factors together and you got one scary motherfucker. I couldn’t wait until Blake and Thane were together in high school. Every fertile would swoon, and every human wouldn't even be in their sights. They sure are a couple of characters.

The bell rang, bringing me out of my thoughts. I swung my backpack over my shoulder and quickly exited the building. Walking out to the parking lot, I turned on my phone to see if anyone bothered to contact me. There was a message rom my mom saying that training was moved to right after school instead of at five. There was another message from my uncle Max telling me to ask my mother if she would like to go to dinner because she wouldn't answer her phone, and I was more trusting than my brothers. I laughed at how true it was.

I waited for Blake at the car. It was just an old beat up mustang that had seen better days. I remembered when I got the car. My mother was just grateful I didn't take after my father with the motorcycles. She was terrified that one of her boys would get into a crash or something. My father then told her that sounded stupid because vampires don't injure like humans. He got slapped for that, and then yelled at because she was our mother. She was going to worry anyways.

A familiar head of dark hair came into my view. Blake waved to his friends before trotting over to where I stood.

"Can I drive?" He asked quickly.

"Well," I said. "It's nice to see you too, Blake. Yes, I had a great day, just fantastic. How was yours?"

He looked at me like 'are you done yet?'

"No, you can't drive because I have training soon, and you will want to take the longest way home possible when we don't time." I responded.

"Oh, come on, Liam. I need to get hours, and you said I could drive last night." He pleaded with puppy dog eyes.

"Yeah," I said. "That was before mom rescheduled."

He grumbled but otherwise walked to the passenger seat. "You and your stupid powers. Ruin all of my fun."

"What was that?" I asked.

"Nothing." He answered quickly.

I smiled to myself. "Good boy."
♠ ♠ ♠
Not really long, but it's something.