I'm Fine in the Fire, Don't Try and Fix Me

Head On A Silver Platter

I took a deep breath, and then another, and then another. It seemed as though there was too much oxygen getting to my brain, but then at time it felt like there wasn't enough.

He knew. I knew he knew. He had to. My father told me he knew it about mom before she did. That was why he said everything was going to be okay. That's why he was so nice to me on the first day. He knew all this time. Why didn't he tell me though?

I wasn't a scary person. You guys know that. I felt I had a right to know when he did, so why didn't he just tell me? It would have been easier. I wouldn't have been mad at him for being seen with me in public. It would have explained why I cared so much.

God, now I know why people got so stressed over this thing. It was damn well nerve killing! I didn't know if I should be happy or sad or even mad. What would you feel? I mean he is a nice guy and everything, damn well attractive, but if something like this happened, what would you feel? I was never really good with emotions. I was always taught that it was better to have none than too many. Everyone else seemed happy. Maybe, that's what I should do, but then again. I've never been like anybody else.

He followed me to my house. There is this whole tradition thing where he meets my parents and shit like that. He's already met my fucking parent, and I don't want to have to go through this bull shit. Ugh, now I'm cursing like a sailor!

I don't know what to do. I just don't! My entire life I thought my name would never get called. I thought that I would just be alone because everyone hated me. A part of my actually wanted that, and I didn't know why. Maybe, it was the fact that now I needed to be a real person. I had to have feelings and personality. I've never needed those things before. And, while I know you find that odd because my snarky charm and witty humor, I never really showed that to people before. He doesn't even know the real me, but now it is expected that i show it to him.

This was way too stressful for my own good, and I could tell by the fact the wind was picking up a little too fast to be natural. Okay, I just need to calm down. This isn't that bad. He is a delightful young man, has real promise this one. If anything, I should be glad. I could have been stuck with some asshole douche that hates me for my powers for the rest of my life. Well, not really, because eventually I would get mad enough and a little magic would kick in from there. What? Don't give me that tone! When I'm angry, it sort of just happens.

My hands were shaking as I opened the door. I should be acting like this. It isn't that bad. He seems to like me perfectly fine, and that's the important part, right? Yeah, I don't really know either.

"Are you all right?" He asked me when we were walking up my porch.

I looked at him for a second before realizing he was actually expecting an answer. "Yeah, I'm fine, just peachy."

He gave some sort of acknowledgement, but I didn't really bother seeing if it was real or not. My job right now was just to open the door, walk into the house, and tell my parents I was home. That was it. And, that is what I was doing. I never said I had to do it confidently or did I say I had to do it quickly.

"Mom, dad, I'm home." I yelled into the house. I knew they wouldn't be all up in Vlad's face with questions and concerns because they knew him just as well as I did, but I didn't expect this to happen.

My mother came walking into the room with a questioning look on her face. My father quickly followed her from a different direction. Dad quickly smiled when he saw that Vladimir was at my side, but my mother didn't look too thrilled. She took a bill out of her pocket and handed it to my father with a defeated look.

"You owe me twenty bucks, kid." She said, pointing at Vladimir before exiting the room.

I stared at my father for a few moments. What the hell? You guys have any clue what just happened? Neither do I? "Um, what's going on?" I asked him.

"Well, you mother and I had a bet to see who your mate was. I said it would be Vlad here, and your mom said that it wasn't going to be. She lost." He answered with a smile.

I gave him my all too frequent you have to be kidding me look. "You aren't serious." I said.

"Well, when a dom knows, he knows. Might as well make some money off of it, and it is always nice to outsmart a witch." The same victorious smirk played at his lips, and I rolled my eyes. Vlad was laughing, and it took my all not to smack him right upside the head. "Lookie here, kid. I could give you the whole spiel about not taking advantage of my son, and having enough power in this world to make you disappear to where your parents won't even miss you, but I trust you enough. And, I think you are smart enough o realize if anything happens to Liam, and I mean anything, your head will be on a shiny platter in my trophy case before you can count to ten. Understand?"

"Yes, sir." Vlad replied with a look that said he wasn't going to mess with him. That is quite smart of him. There are only two people I know who can screw with my dad and get away with it. The first being my mother because it is my mother and all. The second being Uncle Ronnie for the fact that they have been friends most of their lives, and if anything happens to Ronnie, Uncle Max will be quite upset. And if someone upsets Max, they upset my mom. My mother is not someone you want to upset. Need I re-explain the topic of most powerful witch to walk the Earth ever? No? Didn't think so.

"Good," Dad said. "Carry on, but I don't want to hear any funny business."

He walked off, and I didn't know what to do. This wasn't a situation that happens every day, and I kind of thought my parents would take more of his attention than that. But, they didn't, and I'm screwed.

"Um," I sighed. "Do you want to come up to my room or something?" I asked. He nodded, and we walked up there. Okay, I can do this. He doesn't seem that difficult to entertain. I mean, he is a dom. If worse comes to worse, I can just put a horror flick on and get him some blood to suck on, or send him down with my father to torture whatever poor soul is down there. But, I don't think the last one would be a good idea. Don't want to scare the boy away now.

My room wasn't all too complicated. I was never really one for bling or posters or anything like that in my room. No, it was pretty simple. But, then again you would expect this.

Mom suggested the blue walls when she realized I was going to be a witch like her. Apparently it has some calming effect or something. Everything else is what you would see in any other teenage boy's room. There was a messy bed, a messy desk, random clothes on the floor, a dresser, and a closet that was thrown open. I never shut it for some reason. It was just more effort in the morning to open.

I sat crossed legged on my bed while he sat lazily in my desk chair. There was a silence. I don't think he thought it was awkward, but I sure as hell did. What was I supposed to say to him? Hey, I know I'm your mate and everything, but I don't have emotions. Sorry bout that? Yeah, I'm sure that would go over great. Oh, don't start with me! If you have such great suggestions, let's hear them! I would love to indulge you in the pleasure of being right. Oh, really? You have nothing? Not even a little bit? No, I didn't think so.

"Look, I know I'm not what you expected." Vladimir spoke up.

I scoffed. "Damn right, you're not what I thought at all."

"Come on. You're telling me you didn't have the slightest clue that it would be me?" He asked.

"Not really," I replied. "If anything, I thought I would end up alone."

"You know that's not how it works." He sighed.

"Well," I said. "I'm not exactly the poster board for normal, now am I?"

"You certainly are not." He mumbled under his breath. I rolled my eyes. What a great start we're off to. "Okay, so this isn't what you expected, but are you revolted by the idea of us being together?"

"No," I answered honestly.

"So, that's a start right?" He asked.

I nodded my head. "What now?"

"Well," he smirked. "I could just claim you right here if you want."

I could feel my face heat up to a thousand degrees at that exact moment. His smirk only got wider. "Um, no. I'm okay." I muttered.

"Then we go as fast or slow as you want." He shrugged.

"What if the only thing I want to do for the next six months is hug you?" I questioned.

"Then for the next six months, we'll hug," He replied. "We will go whatever pace you want, Liam. I'm not going anywhere."