Into the Wild...Boyz

Party Foul

Their cab pulled up to Steve-O’s building and as Savannah got out to light a cigarette, Darcie paid the driver. Darcie then exited the cab and started to haul Savannah toward the building where she noticed some people were heading towards the big, glass doors of it.

“Come on, come on, come on”, Darcie tugged on Savannah’s arm then took the cigarette from her. “Plenty of time to do that once we get upstairs I’m sure.” Darcie took a drag of the cigarette and tossed it away while they squeaked through the door behind the man and woman that were ahead of them.

“I thought you said he’d buzz us in”, said Savannah.

“Well, this is better. A sneak attack”, replied Darcie as she surveyed the rows of little mailboxes on the wall. They were inside the building but Darcie didn’t know what Steve-O’s apartment number was. She was hoping that maybe the mailboxes would give her a clue.

Savannah sighed, a hint of annoyance in her voice. “Just call him and find out what the apartment number is.” Her buzz was fading fast.

“I got this”, said Darcie while she was still looking at the names on the mailboxes. Savannah got out her phone and shot a quick text to Knoxville. Thankfully he answered her immediately.

“Come on, I know which one it is”, said Savannah and started heading down the hall.

“Hey, wait for me!” exclaimed Darcie and took off after Savannah, who held the elevator for her. “You sure you know where you’re going?”

“Yeah”, replied Savannah as she stabbed the button for the floor they needed.

“Is your buzz wearing off? You seem tense.”

“I just think this is a bad idea, that’s all.”

“You’re supposed to be my wingman not my conscience.”

“I’m your best friend so I’m going to tell it like it is.”

Darcie just stuck her tongue out at her, “first thing we’re doing when we get in there is find you more alcohol. You’re not fun half way sober right now.” The elevator doors opened and Darcie was all smiles as she followed Savannah down the hall to Steve-O’s apartment. “Hmm, think we should knock?”

Before either of them could raise a hand to the door, it opened and Dimitry smiled at them. “Hey!” he exclaimed and gave Darcie a big hug. “And Darcie’s bestest friend!” He gave Savannah a big hug too. Savannah shot a worried look at Darcie.

“Don’t worry, that’s Dimitry”, said Darcie. “He’s cool.”

“We’ve met before”, Dimitry said to Darcie.

“Good to see you again”, said Savannah but it came out muffled because she was crushed against his chest. What a friendly guy.

“And I totally know your name”, he said as he released Savannah from the bear hug he gave her. “I’ve had a few but I know it. It’s another word for desert. Uh…don’t tell me. It’s also a place in Georgia. Um….Savannah! Yeah! I told you I knew it. Come on in, you two.” He pulled both of them inside the apartment and shut the door.

It was wall to wall people in there, or so it seemed for such a tiny space. Every counter and table was littered with plastic cups, beers and liquor bottles. Dimitry led them into the living room and was telling them how he was just about to go on a beer run when he was interrupted by Steve-O who flew off the couch to greet them.

“You made it!” Steve-O hugged Darcie. “Come on let’s go get you a drink so we can talk.”

Steve-O steered Darcie toward the kitchen where more alcohol was and left Dimitry and Savannah in the dust. “I’m so glad you stopped by”, he said while he sorted through the various liquor bottles on the counter. He was looking for something specific. “You seemed pissed off at me today and we really didn’t get a chance to talk about it. And I kinda feel bad about the whole Misty thing. You’re probably thinking the worst.” He grabbed a plastic cup and started adding a few different liquors to it then leaned into her so the others around them couldn’t hear their conversation. “I’m not fucking her, just so you know.”

“Uh okay”, was all Darcie said.

“But my roommate is”, Steve-O laughed as he grabbed a pitcher of juice from the refrigerator and added some to her cup then handed it to her.

As she took it she said, “We had this conversation already, Steve. I don’t care what you do, remember?”

“No, I know that, Babe, but I just wanted to clarify is all.”

Darcie took a sip of her drink then stared at the cup in her hand. It took all her will power not to throw the drink in his face. She saw him with Misty that morning when the woman dropped him off and they looked pretty cozy as they sucked face in the front seat of her Mercedes. Did he think she was that drunk or that naïve for that matter?

“So, do you smoke? I was in the midst of rolling one while you were walking in. Come on.” He took her gently by the wrist and led her out of the small kitchen and back to the couch and sat down while she just stood nearby. “Come on, sit down, Babe.” He patted the spot next to him and she reluctantly sat while he went back to rolling a joint. “This’ll be a hold me over until later. I’m waiting on my friend to show up with the good shit.”

They sat there in silence as she sipped at her drink and watched him finish rolling the joint. He seemed different to her. More polite, more focused on being nice to her, or maybe more focused on her, it seemed. She wondered what that was all about. Sure he had a buzz but she had a feeling it wasn’t just the alcohol or even the joint they shared. Oh of course it might have been just the weed she thought as she inhaled the smoke, held it and blew it out. As she exhaled, she felt her whole body relax. Steve-O smiled and put his around her as she passed the joint back to him.

Savannah’s nose immediately wrinkled while she was in mid-conversation with Dimitry.

“Uh, did I say something wrong?” he asked.

“No, I’m just not a pot fan. Sorry, Dimitry. Continue.” Savannah waved him on to pick up their conversation.

“Gladly”, he paused, “if I could only remember what we were talking about.” They shared a laugh.

“I should check on Darcie.”

“I’m sure she’s fine. I think Steve-O’s got a little crush on her maybe. Or rather they have a crush on each other.”

“Yeah that’s what I’m kinda worried about”, Savannah replied as she glanced at her phone and frowned a little. “I should find her so we can go probably. It’s getting late. I think I have court tomorrow.”

“You have court? What did you do?”

“No, with Casey. I need a different job. Working for family’s okay and all but I could use something else.”

“You should totally come work with me and Darcie. Shit, what we do isn’t even work really. It’s all fun and games. You’d love it. Got any film background?”

“Slightly.”

“Then the job’s a perfect fit!” Savannah just smirked at Dimitry’s boisterous enthusiasm. All of the sudden, the mood in the entire room seemed to shift and a chorus of cheers whipped through it. Just about everyone in the apartment was crowded around the front door to be around the person that just walked in.

“Well there goes the party”, said Dimitry, lamely. He and Savannah watched as Steve-O smiled and hopped off the couch to greet the guy that just walked in. Steve-O led him over to the couch and introduced him to Darcie. Darcie just nodded politely at him as Steve-O sat down next to her again. She was too stoned to really talk, or just really didn’t feel like it as she sipped her drink. The man went through the pockets of his low slung jeans and produced a baggie of white powder. Darcie’s eyes went wide.

“There it goes you’re right, Dimitry”, said Savannah as she made her way over to the couch but it was too late.

“Are you fucking kidding me?” Darcie’s blue eyes turned sharply to Steve-O.

Steve-O shrugged, “What, dude? It’s a party.” Darcie didn’t reply. She pushed herself off of the couch, completely disgusted and joined Savannah who stood nearby. Steve-O gave her a cursory glance but his tuned changed when he heard Darcie tell Savannah they were leaving. “No, wait. Don’t leave, Babe.” He gently tugged on her arm and Darcie wrenched herself free from him.

“I’m out of here. You’re fucking crazy to be doing that shit, you know that? Savannah, I’m leaving with or without you.” Darcie pushed past the people in her way and left, slamming Steve-O’s front door.

“What the fuck is her problem?” asked Steve-O. “It’s just a little bit of coke.”

“It’s not my story to tell, Steve. Thanks for the hospitality”, and Savannah quickly left to catch up with Darcie.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Darcie was a fast walker. By the time Savannah caught up with her, Darcie was half way across the parking lot of Steve-O’s complex. Tears streaked her cheeks and she hastily wiped them away with the sleeve of her jacket as she heard heavy footsteps approaching on the pavement. Darcie turned around and Savannah came to an abrupt halt as if her presence would send Darcie running away like a scared rabbit.

“I had to get out of there.” Darcie choked back tears as Savannah’s arms came around her and hugged her close. “I haven’t touched that shit in years and I’m not about to start up again, regardless if I like that asshole or not.”

“I know”, said Savannah as she released her from their hug.

“No wonder why he was being so nice to me.”

“Don’t say that. I think he does really like you.”

“Yeah but I can’t be around that, Savannah, I just can’t. I’ve worked so hard up to this point to stay away from it. It would be too easy to get caught up in all that if I keep hanging out with him.” Darcie looked up at the starless, night sky then let go a ragged breath. “At least I know what he’s about now. And it breaks my heart.” Savannah frowned a little, she had no words of comfort for her best friend and it was rare that Savannah was without words.

“Maybe you should tell him, Darcie. About your past.”

“Why? It’s just going to fall on deaf ears anyway.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I gave you guys a sort of cliffhanger, I'm sorry. *dodges things thrown at her* But I promise I'll make it up to you Friday when I get back to work and am able to use the internet again. Thank you, 17 subscribers, you guys are awesome!! And my commentors too. Ya'll kick butt and keep me going really :) Internet hugs for all!!! :)