Into the Wild...Boyz

Like The Blind Leading The Blind....Dates

Chris was sick and tired of sitting in his truck waiting on Steve-O in the lot in front of Steve-O’s apartment. He got out and walked into the building and headed to Steve-O’s place. Before he even knocked on the door Steve-O opened it and joined him in the hall.

“Finally”, said Chris. “I’ve been waiting outside for 20 minutes. What the hell was taking you so long?”

“I got up late”, said Steve-O and he led the way back outside.

“What are you all dressed up for?” asked Chris as they got into his truck.

“This isn’t dressed up, dude.” Steve-O adjusted the collar on his short sleeve button up and brushed off his khaki shorts.

“Could’ve fooled me”, Chris said breezily as he checked the rearview while he backed up out of the space. “And you smell like a French whore.” He wrinkled his nose as he rolled his window down and had Steve-O do the same. “Smells to me like you’re trying to impress someone.”

Steve-O just rolled his eyes and lit a cigarette. They spent the rest of the drive to the office in silence aside from the radio that was on for background noise.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Savannah pulled her aging LTD into the parking lot of the Dickhouse offices and sighed as she checked her phone to see what the time was. She had a little less than two hours to kill before she was to go on her blind date. Hopefully Darcie wasn’t too busy; she could kill time with her. She got out of the car and got midway to the front door before she remembered to grab the envelope Casey gave her to deliver. Her body was half in the car when she heard someone whistle at her and she chose to just ignore it as she grabbed the envelope and her phone, as an afterthought then shut the car door once again. As she made her way to the front doors of the office, the someone whistled again at her which made her stop and survey her surroundings. There was no one else in the parking lot except for herself as far as she could see.

“Hot mama!” she heard a male voice exclaim. Her head turned to the patio and it was Jeff whose face fell when he saw her. “Never mind, it’s just Savannah.” Savannah didn’t have a snappy comeback for him, she just smacked him in the chest with the envelope she had. “Thanks”, Jeff grunted and rubbed his chest. “Suppose I might have deserved that.”

“You’re an ass.”

“You look kinda nice”, he said as he busied himself with opening the envelope. “Casey must’ve had court today.”

“Yeah. I’ve got time to kill, is Darcie around?”

“Sure, she’s inside.” He pushed the sliding glass door open for her. “Last I saw her she was in her office talking with Manny.”

“You actually gave her an office?”

“Well, cubicle. You’ll find it. It’s in the common area. Near Wolfie’s office. Do you need an escort?”

“No, I can find it.”

“Good, I didn’t want to walk around with you anyway.” He followed her inside.

“And you’re following me because?”

“Because I have to get back to my office. I can’t help it if you’re going the same way as I am. Geez.” He jokingly rolled his eyes at her and let out a sigh of exasperation. “Women.” He left her in the common area and continued on to his office. Savannah took a look around and noticed it was a little neater than what it was when she was last there. She had a feeling that had to do with Darcie occupying the space as well more than likely. Savannah smiled as she knocked on the wall of Darcie’s cubicle. Darcie looked up from her conversation with Manny and smiled at her best friend.

“Hey, bestest friend”, she said.

“Hey, bestest friend”, Savannah returned the greeting.

“Wow, pretty women sure aren’t in short supply around here”, said Manny and he quickly got up from his chair to offer it to Savannah. “How’ve you been, Savannah?”

“Good, Manny. Thanks for your chair”, said Savannah as she sat down.

“No problem. Still working for Casey?”

“Here and there for now.”

Manny nodded, “Darcie and I have become fast friends. She might be the first woman I’ve met that has piranhas as pets. That’s pretty cool.”

“So what brings you here?” Darcie asked Savannah.

“Casey had me drop off something to Jeff and I thought I’d come by your office”, said Savannah as she surveyed Darcie’s cubicle. “Nice place ya got here.”

Darcie chuckled, “yeah, Jeff says if I continue to do what I’m doing I’ll have a real office soon which would be nice. You wouldn’t believe what I overhear being in here. People forget that I’m in this thing.”

“Someday I’m sure that’ll work to your advantage though”, said Manny. Darcie gave him a small smile.

“Look at those legs in Darcie’s cubicle”, Chris said quietly to Steve-O as they entered the common area. They couldn’t see it was Savannah. All they saw was black nylons and Manny standing by them, chatting away.

“I wonder who they belong to”, said Steve-O.

“Well let’s find out”, replied Chris as they neared Darcie’s cubicle.

“All right, Manny, quit hogging the hot chicks”, said Steve-O with a grin.

“Oh hey, guys”, said Manny. They exchanged quick pleasantries and manly hugs. “I can’t help myself. Red heads are my weakness, man.” He smiled at Darcie.

“Aw, it’s nice to know that I can be somebody’s weakness”, said Darcie as she sat a little taller in her chair.

“You’re not just Manny’s weakness, Darcie”, said Chris and he cast a quick glance at Steve-O.

“What?” asked Steve-O.

“What?” asked Chris, innocently then he smiled and chuckled at Darcie.

“Uh huh”, said Darcie. “You know I hate to toss you guys out but I have some things I have to do before I have to leave; phone calls and such so we can film tomorrow.”

“Oh sure, sure, we’ll leave you alone”, said Chris. “Come on, Manny. Say good bye to the pretty girls.”

“Good bye, pretty girls”, said Manny as Chris and Steve-O led him away from Darcie’s cubicle and out of the room.

“Steve-O looked kinda handsome all dressed up”, said Savannah after she was sure the men were gone.

“Oh I hadn’t noticed”, Darcie replied. She was busying herself with the notes she made from that morning’s meeting.

“Liar”, said Savannah. “I know you noticed. Do I have to do everything?” Savannah went to get up out of her seat.

“Freeze!” Darcie commanded and Savannah’s rump hovered over her chair. “Sit down.” Savannah sat back down. “Just leave it alone.”

“All right then.”

“He’s making things awkward all of the sudden”, said Darcie in a voice just above a whisper.

“Why?” asked Savannah as she moved her chair a little closer to hear her better.

“Well we’ve been texting back and forth a bit over the weekend. Just basic getting to know you stuff.”

“You didn’t tell me that”, said Savannah aloud. Darcie harshly shushed her.

“That’s exactly why I didn’t tell you that”, Darcie snapped at her. “I knew you’d get all girly and shit.”

“You know, it wouldn’t kill you to do the same. Quit being a cold fish.”

“I’m not a cold fish. It’s called being cautious.” Darcie paused and had a little grin on her face, “Although it has been nice texting back and forth with him.” She was sure to keep her voice low when she came out with that revelation. “Know what? Let me finish up here and we’ll go get a drink and talk more about it.”

“I can’t.”

“Oh you got plans with Knoxville already, don’t you?”

“Well, I have plans but just not with him.” As if on cue, they could hear Johnny’s laughter down the hall and as it got closer and closer to them, Savannah felt a small sense of dread. She wasn’t sure how Johnny was going to take the news of her blind date. It’s not that he’d be jealous but she was sure he was going to be disappointed about her breaking their plans at the last minute, any friend would. Meanwhile, Darcie looked at Savannah with a sort of shocked look on her face. Savannah was so predictable. If she wasn’t at Casey’s she was either at Darcie’s or hanging out with Johnny. What plans could Savannah possibly have she wondered.

“So spill it”, said Darcie.

“Oh, man”, Savannah groaned. “I’d rather not. Especially here.” Now it was Savannah’s turn to whisper and Darcie couldn’t help but notice that Savannah had now totally invaded the tiny cubicle with her chair. It was starting to get crowded with the two of them in the already little space.

“I did now it’s your turn.”

“Casey set me up on a stupid blind date. The guy’s some sort of self-made business man.” Darcie quickly hid her face with her notepad. “Stop laughing.”

“I’m not laughing”, replied Darcie from behind the safety of the yellow legal pad then took it away from her face. Savannah was just about to say something else when her cell phone went off in her lap and she frowned as she struggled to silence it.

“Ah ha!” Johnny said triumphantly as his head popped over the cubicle wall. “I found you. Nice legs, by the way.”

“Yeah thanks”, muttered Savannah as she glanced at the screen on her phone. “So how’d you know I was here?” Savannah looked up at him.

“Well, there’s only one person I know of that runs around town in a such a busted looking car”, he grinned.

“Speak for yourself”, she said.

“Hey, I’ve gone to great lengths to restore that Caddy. What’s your excuse?” Savannah rolled her eyes at him and just sighed heavily. “What are you so grumpy for? Are you mad because you’re still stuck in your court clothes?” He grinned at her.

“I’ve got a blind date tonight, Knox. Casey set me up.”

Johnny couldn’t and wouldn’t contain his laughter. “Oh that’s too much.” He wiped tears from his eyes he laughed so hard. Savannah stood up with her arms defensively crossed. Johnny’s laughter immediately died down. “You’re serious.”

“Yeah and I don’t see what’s so funny because I’m really not looking forward to it.”

“Well I wasn’t laughing because of you. I was laughing because Casey had to set you up.” A scowl spread like wildfire across Savannah’s face. “No, no, no”, he said quickly. “It’s not that you’d need help or anything.”

“You’ve said enough.”

“Savannah, I’m sorry. I meant that you’d have no trouble getting a date on your own if you wanted to. That’s what I should’ve said.”

“You’ve said plenty, I think.”

“Don’t be mad.”

“I’m not. I really don’t care at this point.”

“You’re a very pretty woman. There’s no reason for blind dates.”

“Yeah well. Casey thinks I need to meet new people, I guess. Anyway, I’ll call you or something. I have to go.”

“Well I can’t wait to hear all about it. I’ll bring you some ice cream tomorrow for damage control.”

“You know what?” Savannah sneered and picked up the closest thing to her which was Darcie’s rubber band ball. She chucked it at Johnny with all her might. He had no time to react before it made direct contact with his eye.

“Geez, Savannah!” He exclaimed but did his best to laugh it off.

“I didn’t think it’d hit you, for that I’m sorry. But I wish I would’ve aimed lower.” Without another word she stalked out of the office.

“Aw, Savannah, come back!” Johnny checked to see if she was gone and when he was sure she was, his hand went to his eye. “She’s got deadly aim.”

“You want some ice, Knox?” asked Darcie.

“Would you think less of me if I said yes?”

“Not really.”

“Then I would love some ice, Darcie. Thank you.” He whimpered a bit.