Silly Of Me

Plans

Chapter 2: Plans


Amelia walks down the halls of her school, glad to be done with school for the day. Three more weeks and school will be out for the summer. She’s not certain as to what she’s going to do during the summer yet, but she’s excited. Why? Plain and simple, she’ll be allowed to sleep after noon once again. She’s on her way to get a bite to eat before studying in the library. It’s never too early to study for finals.

Her phone vibrates in her hand, Elyse’s name flashing on the screen. She smiles seeing her cousin’s name, sliding her finger across the screen to answer it.

“What have I done to deserve a phone call from my lovely cousin?” Amelia answers her phone in a teasing manner.

“I’m offended, are you insinuating that I do not call you?” She hears the accusing tone in her voice.

“No, I just feel blessed that you would call me when it’s not my birthday.” Amelia continues, hearing Elyse laugh.

“Yeah, yeah, you’re such a meanie.” She can see the pout on Elyse face causing laughter to come out from her own mouth. “How are you?”

“I’m good, about to get some lunch, you? How are you?” Amelia slides inside her car, placing her books and bag on the passenger seat.

“Good, getting ready for class.” She hears a voice in the background, male, she debates whether it’s Jake or Ryan. But knowing Jake would be at work right now, it has to be Ryan. “Ryan says hi.”

Amelia laughs, loving the fact she’s correct. “Hello Lochte, how are the fishes?”

She hears a bit of a struggle after Elyse tells Ryan her reply. There’s a few ‘shut up, I’m talking to my cousin,’ and a respond ‘I know, but she doesn’t answer my phone calls which is a bit rude’.

“Can you tell Lochte I see his calls. I know it’s to ask about girls and I’ve heard enough stories, thank you very much.” Amelia tells the message to Elyse, which causes laughter to come out from her, while Ryan groans.

“Mia, you’re not supposed to tell Elyse that, she’s going to be upset that I don’t talk to her about my problems.” Ryan scolds her.

“Oh no, Elyse knows our secret affair, Ryan. We must end this devious relationship.” Amelia teases him. She hears Elyse laughing in the background and a loud smack before her cousin’s voice is heard once again.

“Sorry, the five year old needed attention. So, I wanted to tell you that I’m going to be in Texas in a week’s time!” Elyse tells her excitedly, Amelia shrieks. She definitely misses her cousin. Even though they’re family, Elyse is like her best friend. Everything there is to know about Amelia, Elyse knows. Maybe the distance makes it much more comfortable for them to share secrets; they didn’t have any mutual friends so their secrets are safe.

“Really?! School’s done for you?!” Amelia questions.

“My last day is this coming Friday and then next Wednesday I’m flying to Texas with gator boy.” Elyse informs her.

“Eww, why is Lochte coming?”

“I heard that Mia!” Amelia hears Ryan shout out, a smack coming after.

“Thank you,” she tells Elyse.

“Anytime, anyways I just wanted to let you know so you can pick us up at the airport.” Elyse replies.

“I’m not sure I can pick you up, but I’ll definitely let Chris or Aaron know so they can pick you guys up. I have class, depending on what time you two come.”

“Aww, okay, as long as I get to see you.”

“Why are you two coming to Texas?”

“Some charity thing that Ryan wants me to accompany him to,”

“Hmm, I think Aaron mentioned that to me when he was over Saturday night. Isn’t a couple of swimmers coming, it’s an auction of some sorts?”

“Yes that one,” Elyse replies. “Hold on, why is Aaron Peirsol’s always coming up in this conversation?”

“What? I’ve only said his name twice,” Amelia consciously looks around the parking lot, finding no one there with her, but a couple of cars.

“Yes, but you know, does he know of your little crush on him?” Elyse questions.

“You like Aaron?!” Amelia wants to hit Ryan Lochte. She knows that the two still speak to one another from time to time. Elyse has the tendency of letting a couple of things out when Ryan’s around, doing it subconsciously. Amelia in some ways is used to it, those two are practically one person; she’s surprised Ryan just found out.

“GET OUT RYAN!” She hears Elyse yell out before hearing someone being pushed out of a room and a door slamming.

“Ryan’s going to ruin my life isn’t he?” Amelia asks Elyse.

Amelia has had feelings for Aaron Peirsol for the last four years. Everything started in Beijing when Aaron decided to invite her and her brother to accompany him and his sister to the Olympics. Even though Aaron had a girlfriend then, to be more specific, Amelia’s best friend, she developed a crush on Aaron. Hayley Peirsol, his younger sister, was the first to learn about it, followed by Elyse then her brother.

If anything, she thought it was a phase, she was bound to like her brother’s best friend. But it didn’t fade away, as hard as she tried to make it fade. The guy was dating her best friend for crying out loud. But oddly enough, the two didn’t last as soon as Amelia’s best friend, Eva decided to move to New York to further her fashion career, things broke down with Aaron. She’s not really sure what occurred between the two since Eva never discussed it with her, which she respected. But she’s not going to lie; she’s always wondered what went wrong. Was it the distance? Was there another person? Lack of support?

“No, he’s not. I’ll punch his face in if he even mutters a word to Aaron.” Elyse assures her. “But it seems like Aaron’s been around much more often than usual. Anything going on?”

“Yeah, he retired from swimming.” Amelia sighs. “Nothing’s going on, nothing will ever happen. You know its girl code.”

“Screw girl code, Eva has moved on to another person, I’m sure she doesn’t even remember her relationship with Aaron.”

“You don’t know that, Eva never discussed why they broke up. Maybe it was that bad.” Amelia frowns. “Look, I’m starving, we’ll continue to discuss your trip later, is that cool?”

“Sure, but you want to tag along? Love the swimmers and all, but I need some sanity as well.” Elyse reasons. “Go, I’ll make it worth your while.”

“I’m sure you will,” Amelia chuckles. “I’m in as long as the charity event is on a weekend.”

“It is, that’s perfect.” Elyse replies. “I’ll see you in a week, and screw girl code, okay? Eva does not care for Aaron anymore. Believe me. Love you!”

“Love you too, you’re such a bad influence.” Amelia tells her.

“Yeah, yeah, Ryan is to blame.”

“Everything is Lochte’s fault.”

“Exactly.”

Amelia laughs before ending the call with Elyse. She definitely misses the girl and she’s glad that she can finally see her again. Skype can just do so much. She knows in some ways Elyse is right, Eva might not care for Aaron anymore. But the history is still there. Even though she’s not as close with Eva as she used to be, she still wouldn’t want to step on her foot. Besides, this crush will eventually fade away. It just hasn’t left because she hasn’t found another guy to go crazy over. Once that guy comes, everything will be back to normal with Aaron, feelings wise at least.

-----------------------------------------------------------

“Come on, Elyse, I’m not going to tell Aaron.” Ryan tries to convince his best friend as she slides in his car after her class. Elyse’s car is currently in an auto repair shop. She’s not mad at Ryan, but it’s always so fun to see him panic.

“Mmhmm, so you can guarantee that you haven’t texted Aaron to tell him that Amelia likes him?”

“Yes, I can guarantee that.” Ryan turns his car on, making his way out of the university. “Besides, I don’t see what the big deal. Aaron has the hots for her too.”

Elyse turns over to Ryan, raising an eyebrow. “What?”

“Yeah, it’s public knowledge that she’s the reason why he broke up with Eva and why he’s remained single this long.” Ryan explains.

“RYAN!”

Ryan slams on the brakes, honks heard from behind him. He’s panting, taking deep breaths as he looks over at Elyse to make sure she’s okay, before looking at the road before him to make sure he didn’t anyone or another car.

“Elyse! What the fuck?!” He shouts as he starts driving again.

“Ryan! How could have kept this from me?” Elyse emphasizes. “I understand when you go to Amelia for advice, which by the way is pointless because she tells me everything anyway, but we could have gotten them together so long ago!”

“Look, Elyse, Aaron isn’t exactly ready to tell Amelia how he feels. He knows she isn’t exactly going to welcome him with open arms because of his history with Eva.” Ryan replies. “I would have told you, but I know you’re going to meddle and try to push them together. If they’re meant to be, they’ll get together on their own. You need to let them go in their own flow.”

Elyse glares at him, smacking him on his arm. “Are you hearing yourself right now? You don’t even believe the words you’re spewing out right now.”

“I actually do, we have to respect their decisions and let them go on their own accord.”

“Well you just told me about Aaron’s feelings, you aren’t exactly keeping the secret to yourself anymore.” She points out.

Ryan cusses under his breath, shaking his head. “See what you did!”

“Me? You’re the one who blabbed it out! I’m surprised it took you this long.” She retorts.

“Listen here, Moore, there are some things we obviously don’t share with one another, which is a bit surprising to say the least. But we respect that, right?”

“Of course we do, Ryan, but Amelia has had this crush on Aaron and what’s happening? Absolutely nothing.” Elyse reasons with him.

“Yes, and Aaron has his reasons, you just need to let them handle this. Aaron will make his move soon.” Elyse makes a face and Ryan chuckles. “Okay, he might not, but you know that’s their loss.”

“How can you say that?!”

“Don’t meddle, Elyse.” Ryan warns her, turning to the parking of a restaurant that they frequent. “Elyse, honestly, what are you going to do? Bid on Aaron for the auction and then surprise Amelia with a swimming lesson with Aaron?”

Elyse looks over at Ryan, a smile spreading across her face. Ryan groans, smacking himself on the forehead. “I would give you the idea to this diabolical scheme of yours.”

“This is why you’re my best friend!”

“But you’re supposed to place a bid on me.” Ryan reminds her.

“I’ll have Amelia bid on you,” Elyse tells him. “Don’t worry, psycho stalker won’t get her hands on you.” She squeezes his hand for support.

The main reason that Ryan wants Elyse to tag along to Texas is because he knows that this girl who’s been obsessed with him for quite some time will be there. Maybe he wasn’t certain that she’s going to be there, but he didn’t want to take any chances. It was his mistake taking her out on a date, he wasn’t sure she was a psycho until then. She wouldn’t stop calling his phone, emailing him, texting him, it was getting a bit insane. So he changed his number and he hasn’t really heard from her since, except the occasional emails. She hasn’t tried going to Florida, thankfully, but you can never be too certain.

“Okay fine, but I’m not in this scheme of yours.” Ryan says to her before sliding out of his car. Elyse follows him out of his car and into the restaurant.

They’re taken to their seats, the booth they usually sit at when they’re there. It’s a bit weird how the employees know them now, but it’s not a surprise to either one of them. Elyse spots Ryan’s ex-girlfriend eating at a table nearby with a friend. She slightly ducks her head, gingerly kicking Ryan under the table.

“What?” Ryan questions.

“Your ex is here,” she informs him.

“Which one?”

Elyse gives him a look, kicking him under the table once more. “You’re such a douche.”

Ryan opens his mouth to reply, but is cut off by a familiar voice.

“Ryan! Elyse! Fancy seeing you two here,” Ryan’s ex-girlfriend Sandra says to the two.

“Oh you know us, craving the amazing burgers they serve here.” Elyse replies.

She got along with Sandra. No problems with her whatsoever. Ryan just got bored of her.

“I see,” she turns to Ryan. “How are you?”

“Good, how are you, looking beautiful as always.” Ryan’s charm has been turned on, flashing her that irresistible smile of his.

Elyse wants to laugh, but she holds it in, not knowing if Sandra would fall for this ‘Lochte charm’ he’s famous for. But she’s pretty sure she will.

Sandra blushes, lightly smacking Ryan on his chest. “Always the charmer,” she smiles. “Just wanted to say hi to you two, glad to see the relationship is still going strong.”

“I’m sorry?” Elyse asks.

“Didn’t you two finally get together? Isn’t that why Ryan ended things with me?” Sandra questions making the two best friends look at her in confusion before shaking their head profusely.

“Oh no, no, no way,” Elyse tells her. “We’re just best friends.”

“Yeah, Elyse is like the younger sister I’ve never had.” Ryan adds on.

Sandra smiles at the two, nodding her head. “Okay, I see, I’m sorry for assuming things. It was nice seeing you again Ryan, Elyse. Have a good day.” She walks away leaving the two awestruck by her question.

The waiter finally comes to take their orders, breaking the two from their silence. Ryan orders for the both of them, the waiter leaving them once again.

It’s not like the two never had this question asked before, but it never came from one of Ryan’s ex-girlfriends. His ex-girlfriends usually try to befriend Elyse to assure that Ryan will stay with her for a long time. Rule is, if Elyse likes you, Ryan will stay. The moment she disapproves, kiss your relationship goodbye.

“Sandra was always the one with the sense of humor.” Elyse makes a comment, breaking the silence between the two.

“Yeah, I know, the one with the wild imagination as well.” Ryan adds.

“Why did you two break up?” Ryan never discusses his break up with Elyse unless they were of importance. Sadly, Sandra was not of importance so the break-up was never discussed.

“Got bored of her,” Ryan shrugs.

Elyse rolls her eyes. “Douche,”

“I know, but you love me anyway.” He smirks.

“It’s because I didn’t meet Michael Phelps first,” she teases causing Ryan’s face to turn sour.

“Here you go again with the Michael Phelps crap,” he rolls his eyes. “Just admit it, you like the guy.”

“I do not, I’m simply teasing you.” Elyse replies. “I don’t think you would like it if I had feelings for Michael, even though he’s a friend of yours.”

“You’re right, I won’t because I know how he is. You deserve a guy who’s going to treat you right and will respect you.”

“And how do you know Michael won’t?”

“And how do you know he will?”

“You’re acting like a child.”

“Am not,”

“Are too,”

“Am not,”

“Are too,”

“Am not!”

Elyse laughs, “okay you big baby, you’re not. You’re acting like a baby.” Ryan pouts, crossing his arms over his chest, causing Elyse to laugh harder.

“Whatever, anyways, like I was saying, Michael isn’t as great as he’s made out to be.” Ryan says.

“I’m sure he’s not, but I can’t really judge. I’ve met the guy a couple of times when I’ve gone to your meets. I haven’t exactly made a full on conversation with him.”

“And a wave is all there should be, I don’t want you associating with him.”

“Ryan, I can talk to whoever I want to. Not saying I’m going to be best friends with the guy or if I’m even going to talk to him, but I don’t understand why you get so worked up over this.”

“I’m just trying to protect you.”

“Or you’re being selfish. You’re not going to lose me after one conversation, Ryan.”

Maybe he is afraid of losing her or maybe he’s afraid of Michael charming his best friend. He’s not sure, but the thought of Michael and Elyse getting cozy doesn’t sit well with him. What’s making everything worst is that the two aren’t even giving him a reason to think in this way. Michael has never expressed interest in Elyse and the same with Elyse unless she was joking around. He and Michael always talk to one another about the ladies in their life, at times they even compare notes. They quite often talk about how they would hit it and quit it, which is not uncommon for guys their age, but that’s the last thing he wants for Elyse. She deserves better than that, she’s not another notch to add.

He should breathe easier, there’s nothing to worry about. But he can be selfish with Elyse, he knows that. He just wants the best for her.

“I know, sorry,” Ryan apologizes.

“Okay, don’t be such a worry wart, you’re stuck with me.” Elyse sticks her tongue out at him.

Ryan smiles. “Thank God.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Everyone, thank you so much for the comments, the subscriptions and everything! I really appreciate the love I'm receiving from you all. I'm glad people read swimmer stories, it makes me happy. =) Anyways, I hope you guys will like the latest installment, it's still kind of going slow, but give it some time, it WILL pick up. Thanks again! :D