The Passenger Seat

Prologue

"Are you trying to blow out my ears?" I shouted over the bass that shook the car. My hand reached for the volume dial but he swatted it away.
"Touch it and I'll kill you," he yelled back putting his hand over the button so that I couldn't touch it. He looked over at me smiling that annoying grin that he used when he knew he won.
"Can you keep your eyes on the road please?" I shouted back, trying my best to glare at him. He just wiggled his eyebrows up and down at me. "Jesus christ, who taught you how to drive. Two hands on the wheel."
"Oh stop it, you know I always drive with one hand." He slapped my bare leg, leaving a mark in the shape of his hand.
"Ow." I said with no emotion looking straight at him. He laughed and winked.
"Shh, this is my favorite part." he shouted, turning the volume dial until it could turn no more.
"Louder, really?!" I shouted at him, but he ignored me.
"Tomorrow will be far away, tomorrow is the judgement day, tomorrow we'll discover what God in Heaven has in store. One more dawn, one more day, one day more!" He belted out at the top of his lungs until the music started to die down into nothing. He lowered the volume dial all the way back down. "What a great song," he said finally, not really addressing me.
"Sorry, what was that? I think I may have gone deaf." I replied, narrowing my eyes in his direction.
"Thats unfortunate for you then, isn't it?" He shrugged with a bit of a laugh.
"Do you know how much shit you'd get if people knew that you like to drive and belt out Les Mis?" I said, cocking my head to the side ever so slightly.
"That may be true. But you like Les Mis."
"Love," I corrected.
"Right. You love Les Mis so you won't tell anyone because then you'd have no one to sing with." He said back to me. I rolled my eyes knowing he was right.
"Whatever, put on my song."