Status: I wrote this a few years ago. It will probably remind you of a familiar story, but dont judge me.

Secret

Chris

It’s been a week since I met ‘Personal-questions’ guy. I still don’t know his name. He sits with me every day at lunch and every day he gives me one of his sandwiches whether I have one or not. He’s a really nice guy actually. One day we were sitting together, both eating peanut butter sandwiches when ‘personal-questions’ guy (god do I hate calling him that) turned to me.

“Do you wanna go out with me on Friday?” He asked suddenly.

“I...Uh...I...” I didn’t know what to say to that.

“Great! I’ll pick you up at 7.” He said. He stood up and walked away. I was stunned. I am going out on a date with a guy whose name I don’t even know! I thought.
At the end of the day I saw ‘personal-questions’ guy walking to his car. I ran up to him and grabbed his arm. He turned around and looked at me confused.

“If I am going to go out with you I am going to need to know your name.” I said firmly. He chuckled and nodded.

“Of course. I’m Chris.” He said as he stuck his hand out. “Nice to meet you.” I smiled and shook his hand. He smiled back and turned to his car. “See you tomorrow.” He said as he got in his car. I smiled and walked to my car. When I signed in Sara wasn’t on. I left her a offline message telling her I was going on a date with ‘personal-questions’ guy and that I found out his name was Chris.

It’s Friday and I was home getting ready for my date I was excited, we were going to see a movie. I don’t know what movie but a movie. It was 7:28 PM when the doorbell rang. My little sister Tess got the door.

“Jenn some guy’s here to see you!!!!! He says he’s your date!!!!!!!!!!!” She yelled. I groaned. Great now the whole world knows I’m going on a date. I thought. I walked down the stairs my mom was at the door talking to Chris. Chris looked over at me.

“Hey.” He said. He smiled as I walked over to him.

“Hi.” I said. My mom smiled at me and patted my shoulder. It was like I was going to the prom or something! I shook off my mom’s hand and walked to the door. “Bye mom. I’ll see you later.” I said. My mom sighed.

“Have fun you two. And don’t stay out too long.” My mom replied.

“No problem Mrs. Marshall. I’ll have her back by 11.” Chris assured my mom. I shook my head slightly as we walked outside.

“Bye Jenn!!! Have fun!!! Don’t get into trouble!!!” Tess yelled from the door. I groaned and continued to walk with Chris. He opened the door for me. How sweet. I thought. We got to the movie theatre and Chris picked a movie because I didn’t really care. He picked “Changeling”. Typical. I thought. A horror film. Why did I let him choose what we watch? I asked myself. We walked into the theatre and picked a seat. Well actually Chris picked a seat. I sat through the whole movie gripping Chris’s arm as tight as possible. Chris drove me home. When we got to my place he walked me to the door.

“I had a really good time.” He said.

“Yeah me too.” I said. He smiled.

“I’ll see you on Monday?” He asked hopeful.

“Of course, I can’t miss school can I?” I said with a smile.

“Of course. See you.” He said then left with a wave.

The next morning I got up and did laundry nothing fun. Once my laundry was done I decided to watch a movie. My mom and sister went shopping for the day so I had the whole day to myself. I decided to watch my favourite movie of all time. “The Sound of Music.” It was the last thing my dad gave me before he died. He had given it to me on my 11th birthday. I watched it as much as possible. Only because it reminded me of him. He showed it to me when I was little. He would make me sit and watch it with him whenever it was playing on TV no matter how late it got or what my mom said I had to watch it. My mom hated that about my dad. That he loved all things musical. He loved ever kind of music possible. He would listen to everything musical...
It was at my favourite scene. The thunder storm scene!

“Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favourite things” I sang long.

“Cream coloured ponies and crisp apple strudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favourite things
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favourite things”

I was almost at the climax of the song and tears were running down my face. This happened every time I watched this movie. Not because I thought it was sad but because it reminded me so much of my dad.

“When the dog bites.
When the bee stings.
When I'm feeling sad.
I simply remember my favourite things
And then I don't feel so bad!” I sang. I was crying by the end of the song.

The next day my mom showed me all the clothes she bought. For her, for my sister and for me. For me! She bought clothes without my personal thoughts of how I felt about the clothes. So now I was stuck with a bunch of clothes that I would never wear.

On Monday I walked to my locker. I haven’t gotten any secret notes for awhile. I opened my locker and a sheet of paper fell out of my locker. I grabbed it before it hit the ground. I opened it up and looked around. No one was watching. I looked back at the note and started read.

Dear Jenn,
A bell is no bell ‘til you ring it. A song is no song ‘til you sing it. And love in your heart wasn’t put there to stay- Love isn’t love ‘til you give it away. “The Sound of Music.” My favourite movie. A wise man once told me To fall in love is awfully simple, but to fall out of love is simply awful. That was one thing I could agree with. A hundred hearts would be too few To carry all my love for you. I wish I could tell you face to face all the things I have been writing. I promise you one day I will gather the courage and we will meet. But not yet. Just wait. And wait patiently.
Love,
Your Secret Admirer

I was astonished this guy, whoever he is, just quoted “The Sound of Music.” and Bess Myerson all in one note. His favourite movie. I thought to myself. He has good taste to like “The Sound of Music.” I was abruptly pulled out of my thoughts when the first bell rang. I grabbed my stuff and headed for my first class.

When the lunch bell rang I went to my locker. I opened it and out fell a slip of paper;

If music be the food of love, play on

That’s all it said, nothing else. In that same beautiful handwriting. It was William Shakespeare. Now that was romantic. I thought just as I stuffed the note into my pocket. Someone’s arms were around me then. I jumped and spun around. Then I sighed a sigh of relief. It was only Chris. We walked to our spot.