Status: This is a work in progress, so even though I have about 30 parts written already (the length of each will vary), I will only post once or twice a week until I have it all completely figured out. Sharing this and getting feedback is my motivation!

Stereotype

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Gerard was extremely thankful that the new school was just a couple of blocks away from his house. Not only could he now save the money he used to spend on gas, but it also meant his dad had no excuse for wanting to go with him. He had tried, though. He had even offered to give Gerard a guided tour once the "just to make sure you get there fine on your first day" plan failed. The boy had gently declined. His dad could visit his old school and feel worshiped whenever he wanted...just as long as Gerard wasn't there when he did.

The building was significantly smaller than the public school Gerard had transfered from, however older. There wasn't anything particularly attractive about it. It was painted an odd, blueish light gray, and the rugosity of the walls was evidence of the many layers of paint there probably were under the current one. There was a lot of glass, too. Big windows -some almost reaching the floor- and a huge double-glassed door. Gerard was surprised to not find any crack; those wouldn't have last lasted much where he came from. Then again, classes had only started about two months ago.

Still not ready to step ahead into the groups of boys, Gerard let his eyes land on the sign above the door, on the emblem he had seen everywhere at home since he was a kid. Luckily, the school had gotten rid of the awful uniforms his father worn back in the day. Only some black blazers with the famous emblem on survived. If Gerard had understood that part right, they weren't obliged to wear them unless there was an important event.

He couldn't see much of the sports field from where he was standing, but he did see the decaying arch made of wood over the entrance of the path leading to it. Once red and golden letters commemorated a twenty-three-year old triumph. A memory he would be unwillingly refreshing. He already had, no doubt, even before setting foot into the school grounds. News ran fast.

As soon as he abandoned the shadows and walked towards what seemed to be the main gathering spot, he found himself instantly surrounded . He cursed internally, then quickly remembered his purpose.

"A social experiment," he repeated in his mind as self-reassurance.

"You're Donald Way's son, right?" he heard. The question didn't come from one boy, it did from many. Only the phrasing differed from one another.

The introduction had started exactly as bad as Gerard had been expecting. Those boys weren't excited to meet a new student. They were somehow competing to ensure themselves a friend position that would give them importance, make them popular.

"Uh, yeah. I'm Gerard." He smiled faintly, looking around to make it a general answer. He wasn't even sure he'd spoken loud enough -he could hardly hear himself among all the voices, but assumed he had when he received several "Please to meet you" and got lots of names thrown at him in return.

Gerard nodded and tried to pay attention, connecting as many names to the respective faces as it was possible. Matt, Steve, two Brians, Bob, Adam, Brandon, James, Ray, Mike, Keenan, John...those were the ones he could see. Many others were behind them, trying to make their way through the crowd. It didn't look like those right in front of Gerard would allow it, though.

"Do you play football?"

"I bet you're pretty good, uh? You have to!"

"What school did you go to before?"

"Tell us about your father?"

"Does your dad have stuff from those times at home? Can we see?"

As the questions kept on coming, Gerard attempted to answer them all without really saying much. Monosyllables, nods, shrugs. He didn't exactly lie, neither did he tell the whole truth or elaborate. He got the feeling that most of those guys didn't even care about getting actual answers. The situation was pathetic, but that was what made it amusing to him. He could have sworn there was even someone up the tree, spying him paparazzi-style.

When some of the students eventually gave up on getting to Gerard and left, the chatter slowed down and he was able to have something closer to a short conversation with the remaining ones. It was too soon for a definitive verdict, of course; but judging by that first exchange of words and their attitudes, Gerard could take some guesses. The most blatant popularity-seekers seemed to be tough-looking Matt and the blond Brian. Ray -the one with the crazy curls, he mentally noted- and Mike -contrasting shaved head, gave him a more genuine vibe. He didn't have a clear opinion about the rest yet.

The bell rang then and the group dissipated, leaving Gerard with only five potential ass kissers walking with him towards the building.

"...oh, and one important advice," the bigger blond -not Brian...was it Bob?- said, patting his back confidently, "for your own good, stay away from the little fag that was up the tree. You saw it, right?"

"Uh...it? I saw someone," Gerard replied, already not liking where that was going. He hadn't seen whoever was up the tree's face and he didn't care. "Why should I avoid him?"

"Just do it, you'll thank me."

Gerard didn't bother to answer. He wished he could just confess the truth to Bob and then tell him to fuck off; but that would ruin his plans and the future fun. No, he had to wait.