Status: New Story! Keep or Kill

Burning Hope

Graduation

A couple days passed by and it’s now graduation day and I’ve been sitting in this seat for hours after having my name called. I have my diploma in my hands and the smell of the person I’m sitting next to is going to make me throw up. Seriously, it’s like he didn’t bother to take a damn bath in months before today. I sighed in relief though when I heard the words I’ve been waiting for.

“Congrats to the Class of 2012!” the principle said loudly into the microphone and every in my class stood up and cheered, throwing their hats in the air.

I felt a hand grab my shoulder and I was about to turn around and yell, but it was only Jamie. I wonder how the hell he got over here so fast though I learned not to question him anymore. Without a single word he reaches for my hand and tugs me out of the crowd, pulling me against them.

“J-Jamie!” I called out, “Where are we going?”

“To get Richard and Ashley, they’re waiting for us over here!” he shouted over his shoulder. I can see the smile on his face.

I giggled to myself. Seeing Jamie so excited about his new plan is adorable. He can always put me in a better, lighter mood. I will always be happy being with him no matter what and I’ll never forget the day we met. He was sitting outside his house and I don’t know why I decided to take that road home that day, but I’m glad I did. I remembered how he looked, his clothes were faded and torn, and his hair was a greasy mess. He had holes in his shoes and he needed new pants. Jamie on the outside was a mess and on the inside a disaster. I tapped his shoulder to get his attention and the sight before me made me frown. I remember his red, puffy eyes and how he hung his head in shame. He looked at me shocked, or sacred…I never really figured out what emotion it was. I thought he was about to get up and runaway but he instead just stared at me. Examining my clothes, the way I held myself, how my hair was fixed and how I had bright eyes filled with hope.

Now here he is, a new person jumping up and down holding onto Richard’s hands excitedly. Rambling on about his foolish dreams that he promises will come true. He’s not the boy I met two years ago on the streets anymore. He’s grown up and got happier, and there is never a dull moment around Jamie Rodriguez.

***


Standing inside of Jamie’s old house, I never thought would happen again. Dating him for two years well he’s always been at my house. He told me about his past and how he wants nothing to do with his parents, therefore he never brought me to his house. Now I see why. It’s beaten down and barely livable. There are holes in the furniture, the walls and the floors. It kind of looks like no one even lives here anymore, but I know I’m wrong about that. I hear Jamie’s footsteps running back and forth upstairs as he gathers what possessions he has left. He wants to leave for California today even though I don’t start school until August 22, he just wants to start living his dream as soon as possible and honestly nothing is holding him back from it. Moments later Jamie came down the stairs with a few rolled posters in hand, his electronics and his guitar.

“Is that everything?” I asked him as I opened the front door, it creaked from old age.

“Yep!” he smiled widely, “I didn’t have much really.”

I sighed as I opened the back door to my car, “And how much money do you have? We need at least $500 for the down payment.”

“My parents had at least $1,200 cash. I had to search high and low for this money, plus I stole their credit cards. I’m eighteen so I’m old enough to with-drawl the rest of their cash,” he smirked as he jumped in the front seat of the started car.

“You’re so bad Jamie,” I shook my head as I pulled out of the driveway, “And how are you so sure you won’t get arrested for this?” I don’t bother asking how he’s going to get the money out of the bank; he tends to have his ways.

“I don’t!” he chirped and I nearly banged my head against the steering wheel, “My parents don’t deserve me or this money, we’ll be good for a while paying the bills and whatnot.”

I tighten my grip on the wheel and sighed. I feel like a criminal now, knowing my boyfriend is going into a bank and taking the rest of the money out of his parents back account. I hope to God it goes smoothly, my nerves can’t handle the thought of going to jail right after I graduate. I watch him enter the back and a couple minutes later he skips back to the car with a huge grin on his face, hugging a huge amount of cash. I opened the car door for him and wait for him to jump in.

I felt my heart beating against my chest as Jamie stuffed the cash into the dashboard, “S-So how much money?”

“About $4,000 more!” he said excitedly, “We’re so set for a long ass time!” he stared back at the bank longingly though and that sets my heart off faster, “But um we really should leave, because I’m pretty sure the bank owner will inform my parents that they’re broke.”

“Damn it Jamie!” I shouted as I pulled out of the parking lot of the bank. He’s going to get us all arrested one of these days I swear.

With Jamie giggling like mad in the seat next to me, I pulled up into Ashley’s driveway. She was waiting there with her stuff in her hand. She packed light since we don’t have enough room for everything in this car.

“Where have you guys been?” she snapped playfully, “I’ve been waiting in this damn heat!”

“We were at the bank!” Jamie cheered, “We got a shit ton of money.”

“How much are we talking about?” Ashley asked and I shook my head.

“Hold the answer until we get Richard, then you can announce to the whole world how much money you stole from your parents,” I rolled my eyes.

I heard Ashley gasp loudly as I pulled out of the driveway. We drove down the street in silence and picked Richard up. Once he was settled in the car Jamie announced that he took about $5,200 from his parents’ total. Ashley smacked him in the back of the head and scolded him for being a dumbass, Richard just said ‘I hope we don’t get arrested idiot.’ My thoughts exactly I had to fall in love with the world’s dumbest person.

***


Even though it was about eight something in the morning when we left our home, we’re still on the damn road. I’m so glad we all can drive or else I would’ve killed someone by now. We made a pit stop a couple hours ago and switched drivers. Richard is now driving with Ashley in the front seat; Jamie and I are in the back resting. My parents told me that my first semester intuition is already paid in full and I’ll get a call on my cellphone from the college around the time classes’ start. I’m excited that I’m one step closer to becoming a vet. I’ve always had a love for animals and becoming a vet would be a dream come true for me.

I heard Jamie yawn loudly, “Damn what time is it?” I struggled to get my cellphone out of my back pocket.

“It’s around 3:15,” I sighed as I slipped my phone back in my pocket, “Go to sleep if you’re tired, you know waking up early isn’t your thing,” I laughed softly and he smiled.

Jamie kissed the top of my head and leaned his head against the back seat. He closed his eyes and fell into a deep slumber. I snuggled up to him and rested my head over his heart. It always became the best lullaby, a strong steady beat. I sighed contently and smiled as I closed my eyes to get some rest as well.

***


“Kyle,” I felt someone shake my shoulder, “Hey, wake up! We’re here!”

I groaned out in annoyance as I sat up from the seat I was laying on. I rubbed my eyes as I remembered I fell asleep on Jamie. I opened my eyes to only whine as the sun shined through the car window and nearly blinded me.

“Ugh, damn it,” I groaned.

“Good afternoon sleepyhead!” Jamie called out, “Look! The apartment building is over there!”

I crawled my way out of the backseat of the car and into Jamie’s arms. He lifts me up and carries me towards the apartment place. I looked up at the multistory building and smiled widely. We finally made it to California and I couldn’t be happier. Richard and Ashley were talking to the people at the desk while Jamie and I sat on the couch in the lobby.

“I can’t believe we finally made here,” Jamie whispered, “I never saw it coming.”

I playfully slapped his chest, “Yes you did,” I giggled, “You planned since the beginning of Senior year.”

“Okay, okay I know,” he chuckled, “But still I can’t help but be shocked.”

“Hey guys!” Ashley called out to us, “We got the apartment, we can go get settled in.”

I groaned knowing how I hate unpacking my stuff more than packing it. It’s not that easy and it’s just plain annoying. I get off the couch and drag my feet to the car while the other’s laugh at me, they know how much I hate unpacking. It took hours but we finally got done with carrying our stuff up to the second level and unpacking all our things. We got ourselves a two bedroom apartment, with a small bathroom, kitchen and living room. It’s a medium size place but it’s enough for us.

“So Jamie that money you have,” Richard started as he stood by the front door.

“Yes deary?” he called out, batting his eyelashes.

“We need some of it, as you can see we have no food or the necessities of living in this apartment. A couple hundred should do it for now,” Richard rolled his eyes.

“Right, I’ll be right back,” Jamie said as he runs to our room.

“You know eventually we’ll have to get jobs,” Ashley spoke up.

“I was thinking of getting applying for some next week, only because if we do run low at least the jobs we have will give us some money,” I shrugged. Thinking ahead was always my forte.

“Well while we’re out Ashley and I will search for some jobs for you and ourselves. Jamie I’m pretty sure has a plan to get into Hollywood, I’m actually excited for him,” Richard smiled.

I nodded my head as Jamie came rushing back into the room and handing Richard the money. We waved goodbye to him and Ashley as they left to go to the store and job hunting. Jamie and I plopped down on the couch and sat in a comfortable silence. I yawned loudly as I was still tired from the trip here and decided to take this time to sleep some more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Special thanks to this commenter for the comment:
justeva.

I do hope to get some feedback, I've noticed I got more subscribers and readers. If I get some love on this story I'll post more chapters a day c:
Comment&Subscribe please!