Status: In the works

Two Plus Two Equals One

Battle Of The Bands

The rest of the week for both bands went as followed: Get up, sleep during class, practice all night till everyone’s bleeding for some reason, repeat. It was a stress filled week for sure, Alex ran out of band aids at his house and Rian had a bad scratch on his neck (who would’ve thought a guitar pick could do such damage?!). Finally, Friday comes along and the stress level is positively through the roof.
    It was about quarter to six that night when Alicia, Zack and Jack pulled up in Alex’s driveway. His garage was open, and their band was set up on one side. Zack and Jack get out all their equipment and start setting up, exchanging glares with Alex and Rian every chance they have. “I hate that little fucker, waltzing in here like he’s the king of the world...Rian, I swear I’m thisclose to snapping his pretty little neck...” Alex hisses through his teeth as he sends another glare at the side of Jack’s head, trying to burn a hole through his dumb stripey hair. “Calm down Lex, he’s not worth it. He’s all talk man, you’ll see. We’ll be awesome and he’ll cry, just wait.” Rian told him, patting him on the shoulder reassuringly. Alex grins a wicked smile and nods and goes to warm up a bit on his guitar. Hannah and Alicia are standing in the middle of the two groups of boys, idly talking, warming up their vocal chords together and exchanging annoyed glances with each other and with the members of their respective bands. Hannah was also extremely annoyed with Jack but she held nothing against Alicia or Zack, it’s not like they did anything.
    Soon, Alicia and Hannah deemed themselves warmed up enough, bid each other good luck and make their way over to their mic’s.
    “So, you guys ready for the ass kicking of a lifetime?” Jack asks with a sneer from across the garage. “Yeah, too bad it’s your ass that’s getting the kicking though.” Alex calls back. “Whose first?” Alicia asks everyone. “You guy can go, it would be cruel to make you try and follow us.” Alex says into Hannah’s mic. She elbows him in the stomach and he OOFS loudly and goes back to his spot. “You guys can go.” Hannah tells Alicia and she lounges on the ground to listen to them play. A fire lights up in Alicia’s eyes and the look is mirrored on both Jack and Zack’s faces. Then Alicia took a breath and said, “Are you ready? Good. One, two, one, two, three, four...” And she started singing the opening verse to Downtown Fiction’s I Just Wanna Run while Jack played his guitar like a pro and Zack pulled it all together with his bass playing. To be honest, Hannah thought they sounded a lot like her band. Alicia sang in a higher range than she did and they had Zack’s bass instead of Rian’s drums but her voice and the instrumentation sort of fell together in the same way. Hannah was impressed and she could tell by the tenseness of Alex, who was sitting next to her, and the look on his face, which was getting angrier by the second, that he was impressed too and he was pissed. Turning her head around to look at Rian,
she saw him gazing at Alicia with a thoughtful look on his face and she figured he thought they were good too.
    The song ended soon enough and Alicia, Jack and Zack looked at the other band in anticipation, of what, no one was really sure. So Hannah just nudged Alex, nodded to Rian and stood up. “Alrighty, this song is called ‘Tell Me I’m A Wreck’ by Every Avenue. One, two, three, four...” She started singing, her voice being complemented by Alex’s phenomenal guitar playing and Rian’s beat keeping time. Hannah smiled as she sang the song straight to Jack’s face which was looking more dumbstruck then she was sure he would like. And she was right. Jack was impressed and vaguely registered how their music was so similar sounding. Alex caught the look on Jack’s face and started smiling like the Chesire Cat, flipping the other boy off just because he could. Rian smiled and almost burst out laughing at Jack’s insulted face. Hannah, Alicia and Zack all just rolled their eyes and then the song was done. The bands just stared at each other for a moment. Then they heard the clapping and all turned to notice a small group of about 10 people crowded in the driveway. Hannah’s band waved and smiled, Alicia did as well, Zack just smiled and Jack was still busy being offended.
    I won’t be shown up and flipped off like a chump! Jack thought furiously. He jumped to his feet and started playing a random guitar solo that was absolutely sick. He gave Alex a rude look as he faded his guitar out and Alex returned the glower and retaliated with his own sick riff. Soon enough it was a full on guitar battle that Rian accented with his drumming and Zack added random bass too. The two girls looked on helplessly as Alex ended the battle by swinging his guitar around his neck and catching it and playing a last riff. The look on all the boys faces looked like they were thisclose to getting into a full on brawl. Hannah had already grabbed Alex by the arms because he had put his guitar down and looked like he was about to charge. The fight was stopped, however, by a massive amount of cheering. The crowd of people had to have doubled in size, now there were probably 50 people in the driveway and on the lawn. It was weird, they had just appeared and it was making Zack kind of uncomfortable, several young girls stared at him while clapping and cheering noisily. He awkwardly shifted from foot to foot and avoided looking at them and instead found his eyes fell on Hannah who was smiling and turning to look at the crowd. “Thank you all for listening to our little battle of the bands thing, if you’re looking for a band to play gigs, you can just approach me and my two best friends here, Hannah and Rian, we’re up for anything!” Alex wrapped an arm around each Rian and Hannah who were on either side of them and they posed for a picture a random person wanted. Zack couldn’t help the pang of jealousy he felt, why couldn’t HE put HIS arm around her? He huffed to himself and glared at the back of Alex’s head. “The same goes for me and my band, feel free to ask me, Alicia or Zack for details! Thanks for coming!” Jack butted in, stealing Alex’s thunder. “Goodnight!” They both exclaimed at the same time then settled into an angry silence, glowering at each other.
    All the people started to disperse until there was just one man who came up to both bands who were already packing their stuff up. He had short brown hair and a lip ring and was extremely cute. He walked into the garage and addressed everyone there who had yet to notice his presence. “So,” he started, startling everyone into turning towards his voice. “That was quite the show you guys put on. I have to say I’m impressed. You’re good, for a bunch of kids. I’m Matt Flyzik, I’m the owner of Flyzik On The Wall.” “OMG, I love that place! I always drag Alicia there for lunch!” Hannah exclaims. “Oh yeah, remember that time we saw that band there? They were
really good...and hot.” Alicia laughs, making Hannah roll her eyes. “Yeah, they were good but the band broke up so I started looking for a new one...and you guys are that good. You both are, really. And you have similar sound, and it’s a sound I really like. I’d like you to come play at my restaurant sometime. I’ll pay you too. Here’s my card, give me a call if you’re interested.” Matt winks at them, handing both Zack and Rian a card. Everyone shouts a thank you, and he leaves.
    “Guys, how awesome is this?! We got our first gig, this is amazing!” Alicia squeals, hugging Jack and Zack. “Yeah, this is wicked cool! The beginning of our fame!” Hannah high fives Alex and Rian. “And we get to do this together!” Alicia adds, hugging Hannah next. “Shit, we have to see them ALL the time now...well this blows.” Alex says. “Oh, like you’re not secretly happy about being able to see my beautiful face all the time.” Jack attempts to do a hair flip. “Wait, I think there’s something on it, let me get off for you.” Alex lunges towards Jack, arm poised to punch him in the face. Luckily, Rian grabs him, pulling him backwards. “Trying to beat someone up doesn’t make you look cool, dumbass. Failing at it just makes you look even more pathetic. But whatever, I’m gonna be the bigger man and just walk away. See you soon, loser.” Jack blows a kiss at Alex, making him even more pissed off as he squirms in Rian’s grasp. “YOU FUCKING RETARD YOU GET BACK HERE! BE A MAN YOU COWARD! YOU KNOW I COULD TAKE YOU DOWN!” Alex yells at the top his lungs. “Time to go inside, say goodnight Lex.” Rian says, dragging Alex slowly toward the house. “I’M GONNA KILL YOU ONE DAY JACK BARAKAT!” Alex rages as the door slams shut behind them. Hannah gives an apologetic look to Zack and Alicia who are watching this scene like it’s an interesting documentary on wild animals. “Well that was...interesting... I better go after Jack, he went right past the car...” Alicia sighs, then takes off running after Jack, who’s walking down the sidewalk with his hands in his pockets.
    “Um... well, I uh... better start packing up I guess...” Zack mutters awkwardly, his eyes avoiding Hannah’s. “Oh here, I’ll help.” She offers, and Zack only nods, still looking at his shoes. He appreciated the help, especially from someone as fun as she is. He didn’t know what to say after that, so he just started silently packing away extension cords. He looked up for a second, and saw Hannah handing him another cord and smiling that cute little smile she had, and he blushed. He wasn’t good with girls, especially when they were pretty. He took a step back, and walked into the mic stand, knocking it over. The mic was still on, so when it hit the cement floor it made a terrible screeching noise. Zack freaked and started to stand it back up, and in the process he knocked over Jack’s guitar. “Goddammit!” He swore under his breath, Hannah softly laughing beside him. “Um...Jack doesn’t need to know about this...” Zack says, looking down at the guitar on the ground. “It’ll be our little secret.” Hannah agrees with a mischievous grin.
Zack smiled back, with teeth and everything, and met her eyes, and for a moment they just stared at each other. Zack couldn't deny it; he did have feelings for her, and he barely knew her. He also knew that if he didn't act now, he might never have this chance again. He takes a deep breath, gathering every ounce of courage in his body. "Hannah, would you be terribly offended if I asked you for your number?" he asked, his voice getting smaller with each word he said. He felt like an idiot and wished he could shove the words up his own ass, but at least he tried. "Oh, sure, I'll put it in your phone." Hannah replies with that smile of hers. Zack hands her his iPhone and she types for a few seconds before handing it back. "Text me later, okay? I should probably go check on Alex, make sure he hasn't given Rian too much trouble." "Oh, okay... I'll talk to you later then, bye." They exchanged grins and Hannah went into Alex's house, looking over her shoulder once to wave at Zack. He couldn't stop smiling. He had actually asked for her number; he was extremely proud of herself. Zack checked his phone to see Hannah’s contact entry and his grin spread wider and butterflies erupted in his stomach once again. The contact name was, "A girl who likes you." Zack felt like a million bucks.
~*~ATL~*~

Rian noticed Hannah come into the house, grinning, slightly breathless as she leaned up against the door. He nodded to her and then looked back at Alex who was still all worked up, yelling insults to Rian about Jack’s face and Jack’s band and Jack’s mom and anything Jack related. Rian was patiently trying to sooth the boy, who was knocking things over again. He managed to coax him into the living room and got him sitting down on the couch. But Alex continued his rant, his fingers wound tightly in his fluffy hair. Alex had been born in Essex and he was so mad that his accent was coming back sporadically and he hadn’t even lived there since he was 7. Just by this, Rian knew it would take a while for Alex to calm down. Neither he, nor Hannah had ever seen him this aggravated before. Hannah managed to get her smile under control and she assumed a serious face and sat down next to Rian on the coffee table in front of Alex and together the two got Alex to a quiet and calm, yet still frowning state. They continued to reason with him until the vein in his forehead disappeared and his eyebrows came unfurrowed and his body relaxed a bit. “There’s a good Alex. Here, have a Scooby Snack.” Rian says, patting Alex’s head, pulling a Starburst from his pocket and giving it to his friend. The last of the anger vanishes from Alex’s features and he smiles and laughs and snatches the candy from Rian’s hand, opens it and puts it in his mouth. “Ew it’s warm!” Alex exclaims in only slightly fake disgust. Rian rolls his eyes and Hannah laughs while they start a sissy fight.
Ending their fight by cracking up laughing, it’s almost like Alex never flipped out in the first place. That is, until 5 minutes later of sitting in a comfortable silence, Rian asks Hannah, “Why are you smiling like that?” “Because smiling’s her favorite!” Alex exclaims, never one to pass up a chance to make a movie reference. Rian gives Alex a look to which Alex holds up his hands in surrender, then leans towards Hannah and asks in a mock gossip girl voice, “So Han-Han, what’s the latest dirt? Why you so smiley?” Hannah laughs and rolls her eyes as Alex continues looking at her with wide eyes. “If you MUST know, Mister and Misses Nosey... there happens to be a man in my life that I’m quite... fond of.” “Ooh! Our wittle Hannah-Wannah is in wuvvvvv!” Alex gushed in a baby voice. Rian laughed, “So who's the lucky guy that’s caught the OH SO PICKY eye of our Hannah? Do we know him?” “Welllllll...” Hannah drawled teasing them, “Yeah, you do know him actually. I’ll give you a hint, he’s tall,  blonde, ripped and is named Zack Merrick.”
Alex and RIan both had dumbstruck looks on their faces for about five seconds before Alex totally blew his top again. “WHAT?!?!” he screams, flying to his feet. “HOW CAN YOU LIKE THAT DOUCHE-BAG?!” “He’s not a douche-bag, Zack’s just quiet...” Hannah timidly mutters. Alex ignores her and continues to shout. “YOU CAN’T BE FRATERNIZING WITH THE ENEMY HANNAH! THEN THEY’LL WIN! THEY. MUST. NOT. WIN!” “Alex, you need to calm down. Rian stands up, pushing Alex down back onto the couch. Hannah’s eyes are wide and she’s so shocked she doesn’t even feel the need to cry. Then she feels conflicted and just quietly reassures Alex, “Don’t worry Lex, it’s just a little crush, nothing will happen, it’s fading as we speak.” “Promise?” Alex demands. “Pinky swear.” She replies, hooking her little finger with his. Then Alex smiles and hugs her. “Good wittle Hannah-Wannah.”
~*~ATL~*~

"Jack! Gosh, didn't you hear me? You could've waited." Alicia pants. She had just chased Jack down 4 blocks, yelling his name the entire way. "I slowed down." he says nonchalantly. "Sure ya did. You just love to make things difficult for me, dontcha?" Alicia grins. "That I do, that I do..." He smirks. They keep walking in silence, until Alicia asks, "Jack, are you okay? First you put on this big show about how you hate the other band, specifically Alex, and now you're all quiet...what's going on?" "Nothing...and I don't hate them." Jack replies. "You don't? Since when?" Alicia questions. Jack shrugs, "I don't know, I never really did...they're just, I don't know..." "They're just what? Tell me." Alicia presses. "They're well...they're good. Really good. And I uh...I really like them. Especially Alex, he's got mega talent...not as much as me but...I wish I was friends with him..." He trails off. Jack looks over at Alicia, her expression completely shocked. "Wait, what? You actually LIKE them?! And you want to be FRIENDS with ALEX?! Then why did you say all that mean stuff to them?" Alicia cocks her head to the side, confused. "I don't know...I have a hard time expressing my emotions to people I really like I guess..." Jack stops walking and looks into Alicia's sea green eyes. "Well, maybe if you apologize to him, seriously apologize, you can have another shot at being friends with him." Alicia whispers without breaking their gaze. "That's not what I'm talking about." He says, taking a step closer to Alicia. She looks at him curiously, but says nothing, hoping he'll continue. He moves even closer, so Alicia has to look almost straight up to see him. He leans in whispering, "Close your eyes." She hesitates, but she trusts Jack and does as she's told. He leans in more and their lips connect, first gently until Jack puts his arm around her waist and deepens the kiss, needing her so badly right then. He feels Alicia's breath catch, but she kisses him back. Just as she starts to put her arms around him, he abruptly pulls away, turning on his heel and walking away. She doesn't understand what just happened, but in all honesty, Jack doesn't know either. He's liked Alicia, but he thought it would be weird to date his best friend. But ever since he saw the fiery passion in Alex's eyes when he played his guitar, Jack has been jealous that he could never express himself like that. And he desperately wanted to, to feel that passion. So he started with his long time crush for Alicia, but he just didn't know what to do, what to say. He couldn't explain this to Alicia, so he did the next best thing. He chickened out. "Just forget it. I don't know why I did that or said any of those things. It doesn't matter why. Don't repeat it." Jack calls over his shoulder. "What?" Alicia jogs after him, bewildered. For as long as she's known Jack, she still really didn't know him at all. He turns 180 degrees, taking her off guard so she crashed into his chest. "Forget what just happened." Alicia looks at him for a long moment, searching his eyes before slowly nodding. He seems satisfied with that answer, and they walk back to Alex's house together in complete silence.  
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, hope you like this chapter, we kinda jumped right into it...too ramble-y? Or was it okay? Send is your thoughts! :D