Status: Will be focusing on this story!

A Rose by Any Other Name

Eight

As of one hour ago, Rosalie was officially checked out of the Inn and at first she thought it would be hard, but it wasn’t. She liked knowing where she would sleep at night and knowing her car was within walking distance just in case she had to get out of town really quick. But since coming to this small town called Storybrooke so many things had changed in her life. She never thought that she would care what a man thought or felt towards her, all that mattered is what she thought and felt. But then Graham came into her life and she started thinking about him more often then she had of the men in her previous relationships.

When her only true friend that she had known her whole life basically said that there was nothing going on between herself and Graham, Rosalie believed her without a second thought. So when she learned that Emma had kissed him, she was hurt and shocked. Her first idea was to pack her bags and leave the cute little community that seemed to be growing on her each day. Graham had tried to talk her out of leaving but she couldn’t take anything he said too seriously since he was the one that could possibly be involved with Emma. So when Red had shown up to talk about what was going on it opened her eyes but it was more than that. Red seemed to understand that she was hurting even if the ones she cared so much for didn’t want to hurt her. So when Rosalie told her that she needed space from Emma and Graham always knowing where she was at, Red came up with the perfect solution to her problem.

Red had a spare bedroom in the apartment that she was renting and without a second thought, she offered up the second bedroom to her. What was more surprising was the fact that Rosalie didn’t have to think about it for long before she had agreed. And then Red even helped her park the car somewhere safe that no one would be able to find it. She was a wolf, so Rosalie wasn’t surprised when it took less than an hour for her to find the perfect spot for her car.

“Hey,” Red said as she walked into the room Rosalie would be using as her new bedroom. “I think it would be a good idea to turn off your phone for awhile. That way Emma can’t use some computer program to track you.”

“Don’t worry about that,” Rosalie said with smile on her face. “I have a friend that made my phone untraceable. It helped after a situation two years ago.”

“What situation?”

“An ex that couldn’t take no for an answer.”

“And the friend that helped you is?”

“He was a cop who had a sister who is a genius with computers and called in a favor that she owed him.”

“Was a cop?”

“He left the force after getting hurt in the line of duty.”

“I am so sorry, Rose.”

“Don’t be,” Rosalie said as she left the shoes in her suitcase and sat on the bed in her new room. “He is fine now and lives in California with his wife and newborn son. Well actually the baby isn’t a baby anymore. He’s two.”

“He was your friend.”

“Hard to believe?”

“No,” Red smiled as she took a seat at the foot of the bed. “I am just surprised because the only friend you usually talk about is Emma. I bet you have tons of friends back home.”

“The closest person in my life is Emma, but I had some friends here and there. I just never really fit in anywhere.”

“Until now.”

“I wouldn’t go that far. I can’t even look at Emma without thinking about her kissing Graham and then I start to feel sick about that and I just get so confused.”

“What do you usually do when you get like this?” Red asked.

“Run.”

“Run as in putting shoes on and running and then coming back or-”

“As in running away. I was never good about dealing with my feelings. Sometimes it was just easier to run from everything.”

“You aren’t running now.” Red said trying to get Rosalie to see the positive change that was happening in her life.

“But I’m hiding from the guy I have feelings for and it has been so long since I have actually felt something for someone that was more than friendship and I’m also hiding from Emma.”

“Only because you need some space. It’s okay to need some space so that you can think clearly. What you decide to do needs to be on you and without the influence of the others that want you to think a certain way.” Red said in an understanding tone of voice. “There is nothing wrong with needing some space to think about things.”

*~*~*~*~*~*

“What do you mean she checked out?”

Out of all the words that could come out of Granny’s mouth, not once did Emma think she would ever hear those ones. Sure, she knew she screwed up by kissing Graham to find out if he remembered anything. It was low of her, especially since she knew how Rosalie felt about Graham, but she needed to know. If she didn’t, then she would just keep thinking about it. And then she would be doing something when her friend could have been in love with the man in question instead of being unsure about how she felt for him. But if she really thought it over, Emma could tell Rosalie was falling in love with Graham and he was feeling the same with her. But she never thought what she did would cause Rosalie to skip town without saying anything to anyone.

“I mean, she paid what she owed and put her things in her car and drove away.”

“I just don’t get it,” Emma said shaking her head. “I know I messed up with her recently, but why would she run away.”

“Sometimes there are times where we need some air.”

“Running is Rosalie’s version of getting air.”

“I’m sure these things will work themselves out. They usually do.”

“Did she say anything when she checked out?” Emma asked. “Anyone with her?”

“She thanked me for the room and said there was some place she had to be. She did mention that she was thinking a fresh start would be best for her and those around her.”

Hearing the bell above the door ding, Emma and Grams looked over and saw Red holding an envelope in her hand and no smile upon her face. Looking at Grams she gave her a half smile, since she after all knew what was going on with Rosalie and had agreed to keep it a secret while she had the time to think about what everything meant.

“Have you-”

“Rosalie asked me to give this to you,” Red said as she looked at Emma. “I’m sorry she didn’t get the chance to talk to you again.”

Concerned about her friend, Emma took the envelope from Red before nodding her head at Grams in silent thanks before leaving. Knowing she didn’t want to open the letter in public, Emma walked to the station where she was hoping that she would get some privacy. As soon as she arrived, she saw that Graham was no where to be found which suited her just fine.

Sitting in her chair, she put her feet on her desk before taking the letter out of her red leather jacket. Looking at it, Emma smiled a half smile. It was purple. Definitely Rosalie’s style. Opening it up, she pulled out the card and started to read the words her friend had written.

Emma,

I know that this isn’t the way I wanted things to go down. But I just couldn’t look you in the eyes and tell you what I need to say without crying in front of you and whoever else might be around.

Okay, so here it goes.

You hurt me. A lot. I didn’t ever think I would have to worry about something like this with you. For as long as I care to remember you have been there for me and I like to think that the feeling went both ways.

But then you kissed Graham and I still can’t understand why.

Why would you do that when you knew I had some feelings for him? Especially after you told me that the two of you were not involved in any sort of way besides friendship.

I know that if I were standing there and I were to ask you that very question, you would either make something up or give me the run around and I don’t want anything but the truth right now.

So for now I need some space. Space from you, space from Graham, and space from everyone in Storybrooke.

Please don’t ask around town if they have seen me. The answer will be no. I didn’t tell anyone where I was going. I made sure you can’t track my car or my phone so don’t bother with that either.

Emma, please just give me some time. I need to think with a clear head. This is something I really need to do alone. Please.

Don’t forget you owe me.

Just be patient with me.

I’ll be in touch.

Rosalie.


“Whatcha got there?” Graham asked as he stood in front of the desk.

Being so engrossed in the letter, Emma didn’t even hear Graham coming into the station. She shouldn’t have been so involved in the letter, but she truly couldn’t help herself. She had acted rashly and didn’t even think things through and in doing so hurt her friend.

“Oh it’s a letter from Rose,” Emma said as she placed the card back into the envelope. “She checked out of Granny’s Inn.”

“She what?”

The shock was clear as day upon the man’s face. It was as if he hadn’t expected her to ever leave the town. There was the possibility that she wouldn’t have, but Emma knew why she did. It was her fault and she knew she had to somehow make it right. Not just between herself and Rosalie but between Rosalie and Graham as well.

“I’m sorry,” Emma said as she stood up from her seat and started to walk towards him, but then thought better of it. “She didn’t say anything to me. I tried to go and see her and Granny told me that she was gone and Red gave me a letter from her.”

“So that’s it? She’s just gone?” Graham asked shocked that Rosalie would just leave like that. He knew she was upset, he saw it first hand when he was with her last night before Red had come to see her.

Without looking in Emma’s direction, Graham walked back out of the sheriff’s office. He had a feeling that Red knew more than she was letting on. Emma might be okay with a simple letter, but he wasn’t.

“Graham, wait,” Emma called after him. “Please.”

Stopping at the doorway, he turned and looked at her. “What more could you have to say?”

“I’m really sorry,” Emma said as she crossed her arms in front of her in a defensive posture. “I shouldn’t have been talking about what happened when I knew Rose would be coming at anytime.”

“Then why would you?” Graham asked. “Why did you even kiss me when you knew that your friend had feelings for me? But not only that, but I had feelings for her. It doesn’t make sense to me, so please explain it to me.”

Emma didn’t know what to say, but she knew that Graham deserved honesty. After everything he had been through. With Regina, with her and even with Rosalie. But Rosalie hadn’t hurt him the way Regina did when she crushed his heart, but if she thought about it Emma knew that she was the one that hurt him when it came to Rosalie. If she hadn’t kissed Graham, then Rosalie would still be in Storybrooke and most likely she’d be happy.

“I shouldn’t have kissed you. I know that now, but I needed to know if you still cared-”

“Of course I care Emma,” Graham said as he let out a frustrated sigh. “You are my friend, but you were gossiping about it to your mother at Granny’s Diner where anyone could hear anything you say. What if she hadn’t heard you that day? What would have happened if she heard it from someone else that she doesn’t know?”

“I’m sorry, okay?” Emma said. “I will get her back here and make things right. I promise.”

“I hope you’re right,” Graham told her. “Because without her around, nothing seems right.”

And without giving her a chance to say anything else, Graham walked out. He was on a personal mission to find Red and figure out what she knew about Rosalie’s sudden disappearance. If anyone would know something, Graham figured it would be her since she was the one person to befriend the woman without anyone asking her to.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed it. What are your thoughts about sending some of the gang back to the enchanted forest? Or even bringing Rosalie’s father in? Let me know what you think!