Status: Completed.

Metamorphosis

kept in the dark but you were there in front of me

"This was my mother's room," I say to Tyler. He slowly follows me into the room, looking around. “And this was her piano.” I run my fingers gently over the keys.

I sit down on the rickety bench, staring down at my mother’s name carved into the sleek, black wood.

"Do you miss her?" Tyler asks, sitting down next to me.

"Everyday."

"Will you play something for me?"

I look over at him, his eyes meeting mine. He smiles at me encouragingly and I try to smile back. I look down at the dusty keys. Slowly, I lower my hands down and with a deep breath, I close my eyes and begin to play. It didn’t even think about which song to play. It was the one that reminded me of her and I couldn't help the shiver that ran down my spine; it felt like she was here in the room with me. Call it a gut instinct or call it insanity, but as my fingers flew over the keys, the chords still etched into memory, I swore I could feel my mother standing just behind me.

It was like she was coming back from the other side to give me some words of wisdom just through this piece. There didn't need to be any words or bright lights. My mother, much like she had taught me, spoke through music. It brought tears to my eyes as I played, my fingers refusing to stumble as my eyes dripped with tears, still closed. By the time I had finished playing, my shoulders were shaking but oddly my heart felt calm. I could feel Tyler's eyes burning into the side of my head but I refused to look at him. I took in a shaky breath as I shut the piano.

"That was beautiful," Tyler murmured, "What was it?"

"Metamorphosis by Philip Glass; it was my mom's favorite piece." My voice cracked.

Tyler's arms circled around my body, pulling me into his chest. He held me as I lost every bit of self-control. I felt vulnerable and empty, two feelings I despised.

"I miss her so much," I whisper, "I used to talk to her every night while sitting here."

"Do you still do that?" Tyler asks as I pull away gently, wiping tears from my face with his shirt sleeve.

"Sometimes. Other nights, I just sit up here because I know she's here and it makes me feel safe." I pause, grabbing onto his hands, "I'm so scared I'm going to forget about her."

Tyler smiles sadly at me, shaking his head. "She’ll always be with you, Abbey. Maybe you can't see her or hear her, but she's here.” He places my hand over my heart. "She's right in there, with you all the time, no matter where you go. You can live your life still and move on, be happy. It doesn't mean you're leaving her behind or losing what you have. It just means that she's with you in a different way; in your heart."