Sequel: Everything We Had
Status: Updated regularly

Stay With Me

Twenty-Four

I sat in my math class starring at the page in front of me. It made no sense at all, It may as well have been in another language. I starred at it for another minute or two hoping the answer would just appear out of nowhere but it never did. I finally caved and asked the stranger next to me for help.

Usually I wouldn’t have even been bothered doing the work but since Jack still hated me and I wasn’t allowed to sit next to Jess, I had no other option but to do work. It sucked, maths used to be fun because I had Jack and Jess but now I may as well have no one.

Mitch, the guy next to me, finished attempting to explain the question but I had spaced out when I noticed Jess gazing lovingly at Jack. I didn't get how she could still love him after he humiliated her infront of everyone.

“Oh thanks bro. I get it now!” I lied and just copied his answer instead. It was easier than working it out for myself.

When I walked into class this morning I was tempted to sit in the free seat next to Jess but I knew better. It would upset Jack and prolong the silent treatment he was giving me. It had been a month and I was so sick of being ignored by my best friend!

I looked over to where Jack was sitting on the other side of the classroom. He looked upset but he always looked like that these days. It made me feel guilty, He just wasn’t the same old Jack anymore and that was because of me.

I missed having my bro. Now instead of spending lunch laughing we spent it participating in forced conversations that Jack wouldn’t even take notice of. I always tried to make jokes that he would usually laugh at but now he never would. It was like he was a different person and it was all my fault. Everyone missed having Jess sit with us, especially Kara. She just bought an extra something to our lunch times but now she sat with other people, who I didn't know nor like. They took Jess away, well actually I took Jess away but still.

I got distracted from my work, again, and started using my pencil as a drum stick, tapping some random beat, It didn’t sound great but hey I wasn’t the drummer of the band which reminded me of our lack of practice.

We hadn’t had band practice since the 'incident', It was the longest we have ever gone without practice since we started. We usually went to Rian’s house every tuesday and thursday afternoon but lately we just didn't. It was weird no one said we weren’t having it, we just didn’t. It was like an unspoken cancellation. I was scared Jack would quite the band but I don’t think he would go that far.

I did only kiss Jess. It wasn’t even a real kiss. It was a good kiss but unfortunately not a long one. Ugh. I still really liked her and that was bad but not as bad as before seeming as her and Jack weren’t together anymore, I felt bad for breaking them up. It’s weird to think that one small kiss could fuck so many things up.

I still try and talk to Jess everyday just to see how she's going. She alway looks upset when I see her just like Jack, so everyday I attempt to cheer her up. At first she would just ignore me but now she will actually have a conversation with me. Not a very long one but it was still something.

“Class Diss-missed.” The teacher said pulling me back to reality.

I quickly picked up my books and raced over to Jack to talk to him before he ran out fo the classroom.

“So Jack” I said standing in front of him so he couldn’t leave. He glared at me and attempted to walk around me but I blocked him from leaving.

“What do you want Alex?” He said clenching his Jaw.

“Well I was just thinking the we haven’t had band practice in a while, so why don’t we all go to Rian’s tonight?” I said hopefully, with a smile hoping it would sweeten the deal, then I remembered Jack was a guy and not some girl I was attempting to sleep with.

”Alex I can barley stand talking to you for more than a minute. What makes you think that I want to spend my friday night playing guitar with you?” he spat at me.

“You used to love band practice!” I said getting frustrated.

“Yeah and I used to like you but things change!” Can’t he just get over it already?! He is such a girl.

“Ugh fine whatever have it your way! We just won’t practice and then sound like shit and not get a record deal and spend our lives playing on the streets!” I said getting angry at him. I had had enough of being treated like shit none stop for a month.

“What makes you think I still wanna be in band with you anyway?” Jack said pushing past me. My mouth dropped to the ground in shock. He could not quite the band! It was our life! Our dream. He couldn't leave over one fucking kiss!

“Fuck” I muttered as I threw my head back.

“Just give him sometime” I quickly snapped my head to the side to see Jess standing towards the back of the classroom.

“Oh Jess I didn’t see you there” I hadn’t realised anyone was still in the room. She gave me a small smile before packing away her things

“Yeah well you started talking to Jack before I had left the room and I didn’t want to interrupt so I just kind of stayed still. I didn’t mean to listen in or anything.” She said as she began to walk to the door, I caught up with her as we left the classroom together.

“Don’t worry, It’s not like you don’t know what’s going on. I just thought he would be over it by now.” I said as we walked down the hallway together getting looks from some of the people as they saw us together.

I guess it was kind of my fault that everyone knew about the fight but I wasn’t the one making up the rumours. I felt bad because almost every story had Jess as the villain and me as the innocent by stander.

“Same but it's Jack and we really hurt him. So Just give him time and a some space and then he will get over it.” She reassured me as we entered the english classroom together.

“Yeah I guess you’re right.” I said shrugging my shoulders and walking to the other side of the room, away from Jess. I could feel her eyes still following me, I turned to see her looking confused and a little hurt.

“What?” I asked from across the room, we were the only two that had arrived.

“Nothing, I just thought you were going to sit next to me seeming as we are or were partners.” She said taking her seat and breaking our eye contact.

“Oh right I forgot!” I said as I raced over to take the seat next to her before anyone else could. She actually wanted me to sit next to her, Progress!

Jess P.O.V.

Alex had my eyes watering from laughter. I knew he was trying his hardest to cheer me up and it worked. I hadn’t laughed this much in ages and it felt good. Alex wasn’t that bad. Yeah he ruined my relationship with Jack but at least he tried to make up for it.

I felt bad for him when I saw the way Jack treated him earlier. He looked as if someone had just murdered his puppy. Even though Alex caused the problem he was still living with the consequences and he was doing it pretty well.

I was upset when the bell went signifying the end of the class and the beginning of another boring, uneventful lunch. I missed the yelling and mischievous we used to get up to. My new group was nice but they weren’t fun.

“Thanks Lex, I had fun this lesson” I said as I packed up my books, I waited for Alex to pack his things up so we could walk out together.

“Well the fun doesn’t have to end here!” He said in a stupid accent which was something between Scottish and Australian either way it made me erupt in another fit of giggles.

“I’m sorry to say but it does time for lunch but maybe we can continue this tomorrow?” Alex’s face suddenly fell slightly.

“Right for a moment there I forgot about… everything.” He muttered under his breath thinking I wouldn’t hear.

“Bye Alex” I said as I walked out of the classroom. There was on point in waiting for Alex if we weren’t siting together anyway.

“Jess! Wait!” I heard someone yell through the crowed hallways. I immediately stopped and turned around to see Alex rushing towards me. It was funny watching him try to make his way through the traffic of people.

“Yes?” I said as he finally reached me.

“Nothing just wanted to say hey” He said as he leaned against the locker with his elbow resting his head on his hand like an idiot. I rolled my eyes and punched him in the arm.

“But seriously what are you doing this afternoon?” He asked smiling up at me. My smile suddenly changed to a nervous frown and Alex noticed straight away.

“I mean like if you’re not busy or anything we could get coffee or go to the park like we used to” He said beginning to ramble, a sign that he was nervous.

Was it really a good idea for Alex and I to be hanging out together… alone? It wasn’t like it was before now that I knew he liked me more than just friends. And if Jack found out it would upset him even more.

“I don’t know if that’s such a good idea Lex.” I said looking to the ground. He was silent until I looked up at him again.

“Oh don’t worry I get it! I’ll um I have to go” He had left before I could say anything. He was out of there faster than a cat in water. I felt terrible. He was so happy for the first time in a long time and I completely ruined that in a space of five seconds.
♠ ♠ ♠
OMG 50 SUBSCRIBERS!!!! Thank you so much!!! You people are actually the best! Hope you like the chapter. Remember to subscribe, comment and recommend! xx