Till Death Do Us Part

i do

Niall couldn’t wait to go home and see his boyfriend… he’d been all he thought about all day. They had been together for three years and Niall didn’t think he could ever not get excited about going home to see him.

“Zee, I’m home!” He called through the house, placing his keys on the kitchen bench. No answer. He walked through the house and finally made it to the bedroom, only to turn around and walk back out, not even a little bit as happy as he had been seconds ago.

“Niall, baby, where are you going?” Zayn asked, getting out of the bed and pulling on boxers, running out after him.

Niall turned around to glare at him, “Away from you.”

Zayn’s face fell, “But… you have nowhere to stay.” He whispered.

Niall turned around, not able to stand the sight of Zayn right now, “I’ll stay at Harry’s. He won’t mind.” He grabbed his keys back off the bench, walking towards the door,

“Niall, you can’t do this!”

Niall stopped before slowly turning around, “I can’t do this? I can’t do what? I can’t leave my cheating boyfriend? What the fuck is this, Zayn? I can’t leave, but you can fuck that chick in our bed! I must have missed the part in the boyfriend handbook where it says that you’re allowed to chest, because I personally thought it was an unacceptable thing to do…” He stormed out the door, reaching his car, he looked at Zayn one last time before driving away.

~

The following day, Niall came back home to get a few of the things that he would need. He wasn’t in the right state of mind to be looking for houses and talking to agents about them so Harry said he was happy for him to stay with him

Harry dropped him off on the way to Louis’, Niall had told him he would be fine to get a taxi back, so he would be fine. He walked into the house to find Zayn on the couch with red rimmed eyes and empty bottles of beer scattered on the floor.

“Niall!” Zayn said and jumped off the couch.

“I’m only coming back to get some stuff. Then I’m leaving again.” Zayn’s face turned from one of relief to one of horror.

“Niall, you have to believe me, I didn’t mean it!” Zayn said, following Niall into their room while Niall threw his clothes into a duffle bag.

Niall laughed humourlessly, “Well, I didn’t mean to fall in love with an asshole.”

“Niall, it was one time! You love me! I know you do.” He was almost begging, anything to get Niall to stay.

Niall glared at him, “Zayn, you’re a fucking asshole. Of course I fucking love you, but I can’t be with you. I can’t be with someone that can sleep with another person.”

Zayn just started crying, “Niall! I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean it! It meant nothing! I was drunk, and she was there, and I was horny.” He said, “I’m so sorry! Really, I love you and only you!”

“Yeah, I’m sure.” Niall started walking towards the door but Zayn grabbed his hand and pushed him against the wall.

“I love you!” Zayn kissed Niall, just like he used to and Niall couldn’t handle knowing that those lips had been on someone elses.

When Zayn pulled away, Niall barely knew what was happening as he slaped him hard across the face. “Fuck off.” Niall ran out of the house. Zayn cupped his cheek then ran out of the house, just in time to see it happen. A car ran a red light just as Niall crossed the road. There were screams everywhere and horns beeping as the car came to a stop. Niall slid off the bonnet and onto the floor, his bag laying in the middle of the road.

Zayn screamed and ran across the road to kneel beside Niall, “Baby?” He asked frantically, he was brushing hair out of his face and cupping his cheeks, “Niall?” He choked a little when there was no answer, “Niall! Niall baby, please!” He looked up to the surrounding people, “Call an ambulance!” He looked back to the beautiful blonde boy laying on the floor, he had a large cut on his cheek. Zayn pulled his shirt off and placed it over the injury to reduce the amount of blood flowing from the wound. “Niall, wake up, baby… come on baby, please… I love you so much, don’t leave me… Ni, please…” Tears fell from his cheeks and onto Niall’s pale skin. Zayn looks around at the people surrounding them. “Who the fuck did this?!” He asked, hatred seeping into his words.

A man maybe in his early thirties stepped up, “I am so sorry… I wasn’t paying attention to the lights. Is he conscious?”

“No, he’s not fucking conscious! He’s going to fucking die!” Zayn screamed, he stood up and walked towards the man. “He’s going to fucking die, and it’s your fault. You just killed my fucking boyfriend! I am going to kill you! You will pay for what you did to him!” Zayn threw a punch at the man’s face. If it wasn’t for the circumstances Zayn would have found the man quite attractive but at that moment, he was the ugliest thing on the face of the earth. He had just taken away his world. He kept throwing punches, and wouldn’t have stopped if it wasn’t for the girl that pulled him away. She gave him a massive hug, there were tears running down her face as well as his. She was a complete stranger but he couldn’t help throwing his arms around her and holding her tight.

“He’ll be alright. He’s not dead… he’ll be okay, just calm down.”

Finally the ambulance arrive and gently put Niall on a stretcher before putting him in the back of the truck. Zayn got in next to the younger boy and held his limp hand the whole way to the hospital.

“Niall, you have to stay alive for me.”

It had been a week since Niall was hit, Zayn was beginning to lose hope. Every day dragged on like an eternity. He cried into Niall’s chest everyday begging him to wake up. “Please wake up Niall. Its been a week, you’ve punished me enough! I really need you to wake up! I love you. You are the most important thing to me. I really hope you’re going to wake up because if you don’t, I don’t know what I’ll do with myself, or this engagement ring I bought… I uh, I don’t know how to do this so I’ll practice for when you wake up. I feel like an ass but I guess I’ll start by getting down on one knee…” He gets down on his knee, looking at his beloved. “Niall Horan, I love you with all my heart… I have since the moment I met you… when I looked into your eyes, I just knew you were the one. I knew one day that I would be on my knee, asking you to be mine forever. You’ve stayed with me through all the bad times, and the good. I think what happened pushed you over the edge and I regret doing it so much, and I just want you to find it in your heart to forgive me, this one last time, because I swear to you Niall, I swear that I will be the most loyal husband I can be. I will never look at another person ever again. Even if you don’t forgive me, I want you to know that I am forever grateful for the time I’ve had with you.” He paused to wipe a tear from his face, “Niall you are absolutely perfect in every way imaginable. I love you more than anyone in this world… I wouldn’t want to spend my life with anyone else. I want to wake up to your beautiful blue eyes staring at me and your fingers pressing into the bruises you left the night before while you made love to me. I want to be able to hold you while I fall asleep and kiss you until my lips are red and swollen. I want you to be the one that gets into my shower when I’m supposed to be going to work… I want you.” He cleared his throat and wiped a few tears again, “Niall Horan, will you marry me?”

Zayn stood up and pressed a kiss to Niall’s lips. He feels a shaky hand come up and touch his cheek and he can feel lips pressing against his. He sobs into the kiss, thanking the lord that Niall was alive. He pulls away and looks into Niall’s eyes. “Yes.” He hears the boy whisper, his voice is so quiet and strained and it breaks Zayn’s heart all over again. He just kissed him softly again.

“I love you so much.”

Niall smiled, “I love you too.”

“So you want to be my husband even after all the shit I did?” Zayn squeezed Niall’s hand gently.

“Of course I do, Zee.”

“Are you going to be okay, Niall?” Zayn asked, cupping the pale boys cheek. Niall didn’t answer, just gave Zayn a sad smile as a tear fell from his eye. Zayn looked down, almost expecting that answer. “I’m going to miss you so much, Niall.” A tear fell down his face and onto Niall’s hand.

“You’re going to make the perfect husband Zayn…” Niall said, squeezing Zayn’s hand lightly.

“No…”

“I’m not the one, Zayn…” Niall sighed, “As much as I wish I was… you’re going to meet someone… I’ve seen it in my dreams. He had brown shaggy hair, a great body… you two will be perfect.”

“No.”

“Please Zayn, stop. Just don’t be sad… I’ll be watching over you, okay? I’ll always be with you, if you let me.”

“You’re all I have Niall…” Zayn sobbed, “I have nothing else.”

“You will.”

Niall died that night, wrapped tightly in Zayn’s arms, he didn’t die alone like he always thought… he died loved. He died happy.