Status: Keep or delete?

Pathways

Conditions

It was past midnight when I finally found the guts to bound into the village. By the time I got there the alpha-or more likely known as Roe to everyone- had already called a meeting. Everyone was making their way to the large log cabin where it was held. Smoke was already barreling out of the chimney, and the lights creeped out of the four pained windows. My nerves got the best of me when I realized that the alpha from earlier today was indeed coming to visit us. I was going to be in trouble soon, I rejected his orders which-now that he was here-would be like rejecting an order from Roe-my alpha.

Sighing to myself I made my way over to my own tiny cabin, knowing that I can’t just walk into a meeting in my wolf form, and it was to cold outside to simply change than walking into the meeting naked. I wouldn’t want to anyway, that new guy would be there and I’ve already had enough of him looking me over for the day. On my way to my completely sad excuse of a shack many teasing comments were made to me, these were by the people already making their way to the cabin. Sayings like the ‘big bad mutt’, and ‘brown runty’ rang through the air but I simply ignored it. It was too much work to argue with them anymore, I was defeated.

When I reached my home my head hung low and I was attempting to hide, although that was hard considering I was the only wolf trotting through the village. When I raised my head I sighed at what I seen. There were plaster patches covering the holes in my roof and half of my covered deck was collapsed. The windows were no longer windows but simply holes covered with saran wrap to keep the warmth inside. Growling a little I then ripped into my human form, feeling my bones morph and my skin stretch to support a longer, leaner body. I must admit that I did get a few stares when I stood in the ankle deep snow clothes less. Ignoring them I rushed into the already heated building and walked just about five steps into my sorry excuse for a bedroom. A mattress rested on the floor with a couple of fur blankets to keep me warms, the floor in my room was littered in discarded clothing, and the shelves were covered in the few books that I had. Groaning I quickly grabbed a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt then made my way to the front door again, hopping out while trying to pull on my boots.

I had missed the first few minutes of the meeting, so when I get inside that cabin it was already full. Everyone was chatting lightly and had formed groups. Because of my position in the pack I ended up alone in the corner with my arms crossed, waiting for the two alphas to start talking. He was already up there, his blonde hair still wind tussled and those gorgeous hazel eyes were searching the crowd for someone…hopefully not me. Instead of being naked he had uncovered some clothes from someone, probably from Roe because even though my alpha was a lot older he seemed to have the same build as the new one. The clothes were a loose fitting brown winter jacket that was unzipped to so that muscular body, the six pack and that v that shaped between his hips. The faded jeans hung low, probably showing of more skin then most men were willing to show.

Roe cleared his throat deeply, catching the attention of his loyal pack. Every single wolf was silent, all turning their attention to the pack. Polite smiles were granted towards him as they all waited for him to begin talking while the new alpha waited behind him.

“As you all know,” Roe began, leaning against the pedestal in the front of the crowd, a few steps above up on the stage used for these types of meetings. “the alpha for our enemy tribe has died, and his son-Darren-has taken over. His tribe is willing to make a truce for a few minor…requests. First, no one may cross the boundary lines, this of course was already set in stone and I’m assuming no one has any problems with that.” No one seemed to object and I certainly didn’t either. We’ve never been able to cross the boundary lines; they protected us from each other. “Second, the mating laws are kept in place. We don’t know what would happen if our tribes mated and combining our tribes isn’t an option right now, for the moment we are not sure if the truce with work. Third, all species of wolves need to return to where they originally came from.”

That was the request that brought on some murmuring. I didn’t see why they were concerned though, the only person it affected was me. That rule meant I either had to go rogue or go back to this new alpha’s pack. That broke my heart; even if this pack wasn’t my home and that I would actually like to go away from here…how could Roe agree to this? Out of anyone here he was the one person who I thought cared a little about me. It was like a dagger to my heart; couldn’t he at least ask me if I wanted to leave? I guess it’s a little selfish to feel hurt right now, if my leaving meant that there wouldn’t be a war then I should be happy to leave. I meant I would be saving lives…right? Although why should I care? These people ruthlessly teased me everyday! I guess I could argue both sides with that one; I should leave because I’m not accepted but this place is all I know.

“So,” A voice cut through the quiet, mumbling pack. It was an older man, a wolf that was respected because he was a war hero. He saved the former alpha before Roe in battle, saving us from finding a new one. “you are telling me that in order to end this war all we have to do is kick out that runt.” He pointed back to me, shocking me that he would single me out like that. Everyone’s eyes turned to me, watching me with my crossed arms and shocked face. I found myself beginning to glair at him, I didn’t like the fact that he turned the attention towards me.

Roe sighed, leaning further against the pedestal. I brought my eyes to him, glaring angrily. “It’s not that easy, Mack.” He addressed the old wolf that spoke before. As I looked up at my alpha I realized the distress it his voice, and the sadness in his eyes. That at least told me that he was distressed about doing this to me. “Rose has been a part of our pack since she was an infant, despite the color of her fur she is still one of us.”

“She’s useless, get rid of her!” One woman snapped, I recognized her as the nurse. Her once soft green eyes that comforted me when I was sick turned deadly on me. I didn’t blame her though, her son was on the battle lines. If I left she would have him back.

The butcher spoke up then, on my side to my surprise. “Useless!? That girl feeds every single one of you; she brings meat back everyday from her hunts. If she’s gone we’ll be training a new hunter, and you’re spoiled little mouths will not be eating deer, we’ll be back to moose and stray owls.”

That’s when a full blown argument began, people turned to me and screamed in my face and others bullied them back. At least I had some people on my side, granted it was probably ten out of fifty but it was still some. By the time Roe had calmed everyone down I was fighting back tears and had yet to say anything. I was afraid if I opened my mouth that I would either break down or lash out. It was still so terrifying to me.

“Calm down, everyone please.” Roe begged up front once more. His eyes landed on me again, apologetically. “Rose is technically a part of Darren’s part.” He gestured towards Darren. “There will be the ups and downs of loosing her, but all in all I believe that she will have a better life in his pack. Her body is made for warmer temperature, so down there she will be more comfortable with the weather changes. Plus we all must admit that she is not accepted here, even since the war started anyone with brown fur was considered an enemy. Down there she will be accepted and I think that will make her life easier. So I have the good of my pack in mind and the good of Rose, I’m sorry but she will be leaving with Darren.”

There were cheers as well as gasps and one extremely loud Fuck you Roe that left my lips before I stormed out of the cabin and simply left. I didn’t stop at my cabin, and I most definitely didn’t stop at the village limits. The slam of the cabin door followed me and then Roe calling my name. Although now I guess he wasn’t my alpha so I didn’t have to stop, I didn’t care anyway. Get my in trouble, I had the right to be upset right now. I was being kicked out of the god damn pack.

He was faster than me though and caught up to me around the edge of a few trees. I was ready to lash out at him but when I turned to him after his heavy, wrinkled hand landed on my shoulder. I took in his aging face and sad old eyes. He was around fifty years old now, but he looked older. The stress of being the alpha was defiantly taking its toll on him.

He placed his hands on both of my shoulders and placed a small kiss on my forehead. “Honey, I don’t have a choice.”

I scowled at him. “Yes you do, but you won’t make it. I don’t belong to him or them, I’ve been here all my life!”

He snarled at me and I thought for sure I was going to be smacked, but he just let go of me and crossed his arms angrily. “I have to make this choice, Rose. You are a part of my pack and I will always take you back if something happens, but you are also theirs. As a child you just showed up here, I should’ve taken you back to them then but I didn’t, I took you in as my own. Now you have a chance to go home and I want you to take it. Take him, Rose. He is asking for you for a reason, I know you were by the boundary lines and that is where he seen you. He told me about what happened earlier as well, I’m ashamed that you talked to him like that, if what he tells me is true then you found your mate. He wants you, Rose. Let him have you, go home with him. You know as well as I do that you hate it here, you’ll have a life there. Besides if he truly is your mate and I keep you here for my own selfish reasons I’ll be depriving you of love. Mother Nature has decided that you are his, now let her take you to him. Go with him, Rose.”

A twig snapped and we both looked up quickly, ready for anything. Then we both seen who it was, Darren was standing at the village limit. Looking at us, eves dropping on the conversation. Did I really have to go with this man, and was he really my mate? I understood the reason why Darren thought so, I mean his scent over powered me as well, but I don’t think I have what it takes. Could I really be an alpha’s mate?
♠ ♠ ♠
So who likes it? Any comments for me :)