Status: Keep or delete?

Pathways

Fever Frustrations

The next day I found myself waking to an empty bed. There was no Darren, and the covers weren't warm like they would be if he had just left. Deep in my heart I was hoping that he was simply in the bathroom, or maybe he was making breakfast. I knew better though, I was the alpha's mate after all. I should expect this, I need to learn to expect this. Right now-with our bond so fresh- I hated it when he left. I urned to wake up to him sleeping next to me, or at the very least feeling him kiss me goodbye. Maybe one day we will get to that point, although having it now would be nice.

Groaning, I rolled over in the warm covers. The morning sun light seeped through the windows like a plague and it burned my sleep infested eyes. Out of habit I buried my face back in the pillow, not noticing that it was in fact Darren's pillow. Either way I ended up crushing a note that was sprawled in bad handwriting. Carefully I stroked it until it was flat again then I squinted until it was readable.

Rose,

I know I should've woken you up before I left but you looked comfortable. I'd like to apologize for last night, just because you said you'd stay with me shouldn't mean that I force you into sex. Just tell me when you're ready, I don't want you rushing into things. I won't be back for dinner today, but I'll be back tonight. We will do something tomorrow together, I'm starting to feel guilty for leaving you alone all the time.

Love, Darren.

I could feel my face heating up. Did I worry him last night? Did I say something odd that I don't remember? All the same I guess, at least he left me this note. I knew he cared and maybe it was a good thing that he wasn't here because I'm not exactly sure what I would've said to him if he told me this in person. I'm very privet and shy, this just would've been awkward. Honestly I'll probably never tell him when I'm 'ready' because I'll be to shy. I guess he will figure that out himself.

I must have laid in that bed for at least another hour. I'm not sure if I was sulking because Darren was gone, or if was unsure about what I would do after I got out of the inviting covers. Eventually I made my way half out of the bed, I was sitting up on the edge of it when suddenly I got lightheaded. I understand this happens sometimes, but watching the wall turn almost sideways for me wasn't inviting. It was scary actually. Here I was, alone and just about fainting.

Well my head was spinning I sat with it in my hands for about three minutes before I was able to stand and literally stumble my way to the bathroom. With one flick I had the light on and found myself cringing at the bee stings in my eyes from it. Another three minutes was waisted for my eyes adjusting. When I finally was able to open my eyes I discovered a horrific sight. My eyes were blood shot, so bad to where it looked like I have rays of crimson radiating towards a sun. My body was pale white and my cheeks were flushed, and even though I felt warm my body was covered in goose bumps. Great I had a fever at the very least, I wonder why I hadn't noticed it until now. Maybe it was because I was laying in bed without moving, or maybe it wasn't as bad at it looked. Either way I slowly made it back to bed and curled back up.

If I was sick and this wasn't just my imagination I couldn't risk getting anyway else sick. They already have to much to worry about. The best thing I could do was lay down and stay here, the only person that would actually hang out with me-Ryder-shouldn't get sick because I'm careless.

Dreams soon invaded my head. I was home, in my shack. My fireplace was burning bring and I was curled in front of it with a book. Everything was perfect. A cup of steaming hot chocolate sat by my feet and this book seemed to have me very entertained. For what seemed like forever I watched myself turn the pages of the book and make different reactions to what ever I was reading. Eventually I began to grow uncomfortably hot, blankets began appearing around me, strangling me and dragging me closer to the fire, I couldn't get away! My body struggled against them, screaming and yanking until my arms grew weak like noodles and my throat felt like I was swallowing daggers. After I was too weak to fight the fire slowly engulfed me into it, and the dream ended with me laying in the ashes of the fire.

Something cold pressed to my forehead, it felt nice and I found myself pressing closer to it. "Jesus." Someone muttered. I felt the warm blankets being pulled on to my hot body. Whines lifted from my chest and I weakly tired to kick them away, it was just like the dream! The hand was back pulling the blanket tighter around me. "Leave it, Rose."

Ryder's voice echoed though the room. "Is she okay, I didn't want to call you Darren but I didn't know what to do. She was so hot but she's shivering, I don't understand."

A weight pressed down on the bed. "She just has a fever, Ryder."

I heard footsteps clicking against the wooden floor. "How? She's use to this kind of weather, shouldn't you be the sick one?"

Darren chuckled a little. "She's use to snow, not a blizzard. Besides it's been warm here, the sudden weather changes have probably given her body whiplash." The hand pressed to my forehead again and then his deep sigh filled the room. "The council will be pissed." He said this quietly, almost as if he were talking to himself. "Thank you Ryder, will you call Alex and tell him I was caught up."

Ryder's intake of breath told me this Alex person wasn't someone he generally talked to, or enjoyed talking to. "But Darren you've never skipped a meeting, you'll be in serious trouble."

Darren snorted back a laugh. "This is a good reason, my mate is sick and she needs to be cared for. You obviously aren't going to do it, you can't see her. Tell him I won't be there tomorrow either." My body shifted, but I couldn't tell how or where or even why. That was until I felt my head tuck against a familiar warm shoulder. "Shhh Ros-" Had I made a noise?

"Darren you can't skip tomorrow!" Ryder's voice was desperate, like something was meant to happen tomorrow and he didn't want Darren here for it.

"IT'S FINAL!" Darren growled loudly, my body jumped out of fear. I've never heard him that annoyed, or angry...commanding. He was the alpha right now, not Darren. "I gave you a task so do it, and stay out of here!"

Something happened then, almost unexplainable. Ryder went into loyal servant mode, a subject to its master. "Yes, sir." With that said the door to the bedroom closed and I knew we were alone.

Darren began mumbling angrily and I felt his stand off from the bed. My eyes squinted open and I found the shades pulled on the windows and just the lamp turned on. In this light Darren looked furious, was he angry that I got sick?

With the light hitting his face in this way shadows danced across it. His eye lashes cast streaks across his cheeks, and his teeth were slightly showing in a small growl. Before I knew what I was doing I had reached out and touched my alpha's chin, my mate's chin. His gaze turned to me, softening almost to a concerned look.

"Don't be scared of me, darling." He muttered, "I'll take care of you."

I was transported out to the bathroom where I was forced to take multiple medications that tasted like death. I had whispered about being hot plenty of times, simply whining at him until he loosened the blanket around my shoulders. His rough hands slowly wiped the sweat off my body with a warm towel. As of this moment he was treating me like a child, or a wounded pup but I liked it. I knew I was cared for.

"Why didn't you call me?" He hummed, running the wash cloth over my forehead and looking down into my eyes.

I questioned his weakly, "Call you?"

He chuckled a little at me and moved to washing my cheeks. "Yes, like on a phone. If you are sick like this I'd like to know, so I can come and care for you. You are my mate after all."

I smirked a little, leaning back against the back of the counter where I was sitting. "You were working, and I don't have a phone or your number."

He pressed his lips softly to my forehead, almost like he was scared he would break me. "I'll get you one, Ryder had me thinking you were dying. I'm frustrated with him at the moment for it."

After he was done with the wash cloth he brought me back to the bed. I was tucked in and then told to sleep which didn't take long. Silently I was hoping that'd he would be here when I woke up, that's all I truly want.
♠ ♠ ♠
TWITTER @acookieissam If you guys follow me be sure to tell me you are from here because if I get people on there i will post stuff about updates and such, I do follow back and I'm glad to answer any questions you have about myself or the story/stories.

COMMENTS COMMENTS COMMENTS lol please