Status: Keep or delete?

Pathways

My New Bodyguard

It was late at night and we still had not ventured back to the mansion. Through out the day Darren and I have spent much time together, and with his pack. Darren had lead me to a park with a hill that was used for sledding. When we arrived there at what seemed to be the stroke of noon there had been many members of his pack enjoying the winter weather. The children gliding down the small hill on wooden sleds, and the women watching from the fence that surrounded it. There were few guards around the area because it was so close to the woods, and ever few minutes you could see some form of wolf darting through the trees on the other end of the fence. These were the wolves meant to protect the village, and the ones that were not on duty right now were more then likely nestled away in their beds for rest. Upon walking to the sledding area both Darren and I were greeted kindly. Coos of Alpha and Luna left every member’s lips as they basically bowed to us. That left a deep blush on my lips; I did not like being treated in such a high manner. All I wanted was for them to accept me, not to bow to me. I wanted them to be my friends, not my servants. Yet whenever I opened my mouth to protest Darren stopped me. Because he was my alpha and my mate I listened to him.

We spent most of the day in that park. Darren was running around and playing with some of the kids and I was left with the women. They all seemed to accept me, and because the fact that Darren wasn’t there I was able to make friends with a couple of them. The ones that I made friends with were my age and they were beautiful with kind hearts.

Telle was the first person who had talked to me. With pixie cut red hair and freckles dancing a crossed the bridge of her nose. She was sixteen and all she talked about was finding her mate. Telle smiled at the thought of ever finding love, she wanted noting more. All the questions that lifted from her lips were questions about Darren and me. She wanted to know what mating felt like, if it hurt to be mated, and most of all she wanted to know what sex with like. I just laughed at her and told her to ask her mate when he came around. Giving her answers about that would not only be awkward, but they were also questions that she should be asking the man she was mated to. Not me.

My next friend was named Lilly. We had joked about being named after flowers for quite some time. She was gorgeous, long curly black hair and snow white skin. When I had first seen her I had half expected her name to be Snow White. She was much taller then I was, in fact I half expected her to be as tall as Darren. Lilly spoke of her mate as well; it seemed that was who all the women were talking about. Apparently when I was recovering from being claimed there had been a war threat. It was not from my former pack, it was from a pack from the west. Lilly had told me that it was more of a suggestion and not a threat, and that it was about me. That pack had threatened to take me away, was that why Darren had been so strict about keeping me in the house? When I had asked her when it had happened she had told me that it was right before I was claimed, and that by claiming me Darren now had the ability to feel my emotions. Meaning that if I were taken, he would be able to find me quite easily.

That also told me why Darren had ever male wolf out patrolling the woods. He was risking their lives to protect mine; he was taking them away from their mates. I could not imagine their pain. Just being away from Darren for a few hours left me anxious, knowing that he was in danger would drive me insane.

By the time every women, child, and men retired to their cabin for the night it was ten o clock. Darren and I were still in the park. He sat at the top of the hill, looking out into the woods. I stood at the gate of the park, leaning against it for support. It has been weeks seen I had stayed up this late. I have been lavished and spoiled, able to lie each day in Darren’s arms. Comfort that needed to be left, if these war threats were true it meant that our spoiling days are over. It was time to fight, time to take action. Darren would stand up for me, and I would be a fool to think that he would let these threats go. Loosing a mate would be like loosing your own heart; he wasn’t going to allow that to happen. After fifteen minutes had passed of Darren looking into the woods I approached him. Tired and cold, it would be a nice to be able to return to our home.

As I made my way up to the top of the hill Darren watched me. Chuckling at me as I tripped and slid down the icy snow a couple times. By the time I had finally reached him I was shivering and covered in snow. Darren had a hint of joy in his eyes; he liked knowing that I was out of bed and out of our home. Yet, there was also fear in his eyes. He knew that if I was outside then I was in danger. He pulled me into his warm arms and nodded to the bottom of the hill. Looking down the sparkling moon lit snow I seen the rest of his pack, his guard dogs. Three huge wolves, all half bowing at our sight. The first wolf to the right was the smallest, yet he was still larger then I was. His fur was a deep brown with reddish tints, and from Lilly’s description of him he was her mate. I knew him all because of Lilly, he was Eragon. The middle wolf was the largest, he was smaller then Darren still but he was massive. A huge black wolf that would dart through the night with no hassle. By his size and muscle I could assume that he was Darren’s beta, the wolf that would take Darren’s place if anything happened to him. He was the second in command to Darren’s pack. The third wolf was another brown wolf, larger then most. He was mangled and scarred; I could tell from here that he was been through plenty of fights and loss. Even now my heart ached from him. I was already feeling for this pack and I had not been Luna for two days now.

“Come!” Darren called down to them, barking his order. As the began to walk up the hill much easier then I had Darren tightened his arms around me, pinning my back to his stomach. His chin rested on the top of my head.

When they reached us they all changed into their human forms. Stark naked and all heavily muscled. The beta of the pack was at least six feet tall, and his bicep was equal to the size of my head. If I were have been in his arms I feel like I would sink completely into him for the lack of muscle I held. His darting brown eyes seemed deadly, like he was ready to protect Darren and me without a thought. Even his messy brown hair screamed lethal. Lilly’s mate was an inch shorter then him, and clearly less toned. He would be compared to Darren’s size. He was well groomed and his eyes were so green that I did not think it possible. Last but not least was the second largest wolf. He was short, only an inch or so taller then I, and he looked as though he had been to hell and back. A crossed his tan face were scars from being slashed by someone’s paw. The same scars were all over his chest, and arms. When I looked into his eyes I saw the absence of happiness, I seen sadness and pain. I saw a wolf that was defeated.

“There is nothing to report, Alpha.” The beta informed, his arms crossed behind his back. Almost like he was in an army. “It is nice to see you on your feet, Luna.” A huge blush creeped onto my face, how was I supposed to reply to that…Had he seen me off my feet?!

“Thank you, Alex.” Darren lifted his chain from my head and smiled down at me. “Rose, this is Alex. He is my beta, and this is Lilly’s mate Lucas, and this is your new body guard Jay.” He gestured to each and every one of them, and I said hello to each and they demanded on kissing my knuckles which was the worst part of all of it. Once they all were introduced Darren released me from his warm inviting grip and pressed his lips to my forehead quickly. “I will be home later tonight, Jay will take you home and you two can get acquainted. Alex, Lucas, please go home to your mates. Jay, you can move into my home for the time being.”

With that said Darren changed into his beautiful wolf. I marveled at him for a few seconds as he looked over at me before tearing into the woods. Leaving the four of us behind. I found myself looking into the dark woods for a couple seconds before I felt Jay’s hand touch mine. I looked up at his beaten face and he gave me a soft smile.

“Good night Luna.” Lucas said before turning towards the path to the village, Alex did the same.

Jay stood there for a few moments with me. Allowing me to take in his scar covered body as he took in the sight of me. Seeing his nostrils flair I knew he was memorizing me, making sure he knew ever inch of my body, ever smell that radiated off from me. He was making sure he knew what to do if he ever lost sight of me. Darren had assigned me a body guard, and he did not hesitate to get someone that he knew would risk everything for me. It dawned on me then, Darren had reached out to someone that was an enemy to him. Jay was rouge, and he had no ties to anyone. He was willing to give his life to protect me because Darren had saved his life, and because he had already lost the one thing that he could live for. Jay had already lost his mate, and if he died he would be able to be with her again. Was my life really in that much danger?

“Come Luna, I must get you home.” Jay said then, intertwining his fingers with mine so he could easily pull me to the streets of the village that were now desolate.

I looked up at him and smiled a little, hoping that he would like me. I can see now that we are going to be spending a lot of time together. “Please, call me Rose.”

He smiled down at me then, nodding and starting to walk a little faster. My feet clicked on the stone pathway of the main street, and I found myself almost having to run to keep up with him. I could tell that he wanted to get me into the house, somewhere that was barricaded. Jay seemed to be the type of man that was going to stick to protecting me, what had Darren offered up to gain his loyalty?

He had me inside Darren’s bed room within ten minutes, and that was where I offered him a pair of Darren’s sweatpants. It was honestly uncomfortable seeing him completely naked, Darren was the only man I preferred to see that way. Gladly accepting the warm clothing I offered him I found myself changing into warmer clothes as well. A pair of sweats and a red long sleeved v-neck. I wouldn’t shower until Darren got home, that way I would be able to maybe get into the shower with him.

Jay smiled at me and sat onto the plush couch. “Well Rose, I think we should get to know each other.”

I smiled back at him and sat at the end of Darren and I’s bed, pulling the soft fur blanket around my shoulders. It smelled like Darren, it smelled like home. Honestly it helped me not worry about what was going on with their threat. I knew that I would be safe as long as I didn’t leave the village, and it would soon be taken care of. Jay watched me closely until I was settled in, buried in the blanket.

“Well, what would you like to know?” I hummed, watching his as he turned towards me. Most of the scars were now concealed by a t-shirt and sweatpants, but I could see the ones that were on his face still. That sliced through his features, leaving his left eye slightly drooping and his lips on his left side immobilized.

“I will tell you about myself first, Rose.” He promise, standing up from the couch and approaching me. He kneeled in front of where I was sitting on the floor and took my hand in his once more. “Your mate has allowed me to come here in search of my mate, I can sense them here. I can smell them. As you can tell I was rouge, and I announced my loyalty to him. He has decided to keep me as your body guard, and I agreed because he allowed me to enter and join your pack in hopes of discovering who my mate is. I swear I have searched this pack over and over for them and I can smell their scent every where…” He stood up then, scratching the back of his head and beginning to pace in front of me. “I can smell them most here but its only Darren and yourself, I have no other idea where to look Rose. I don’t even understand why I have them as a mate, but I know they are mine. I had a mate once, but she is long dead now. I believe that they moon goddess has given me a new person to live for; she has given me a new mate. Someone who was rejected as someone else’s mate more the likely, or someone who has lost their mate just like I have.” He turned back to me then, kneeling back in front of me and taking my hands once more. His deep blue eyes looking into mine with hope. “Can you help me, Luna?”

I could feel his desperation. It was not despair that I had seen in him earlier, he was scared. He thought that I would know where his mate was, hell maybe he thought we were keeping his mate from him until this was all over. Yet I knew that Darren would never do that to anyone, taking Jay’s mate away would be putting me in harms way. My brain dug around for answers. The only people that he would smell here would be Darren, Ryder, Max, and I. Each and ever one of us have a mat-…Ryder. Ryder does not have a mate, but does it work that way? Can two males be fated to each other? I never thought about it, I do not see why they could not be. Both Jay and Ryder were damaged, they were both someone who has lost their mate. Ryder was rejected by Gwen, and Jay had lost his mate. If that were the case then I think that maybe…

I took in a deep breath. “Can two males be mates?”

Jay was taken back for a second; he stood up quickly and backed away from me. His eyes full of shock for a second as he took in what I had asked him. “I…I suppose it’s possible, it is not unheard of but it is rare.”

The it is possible. “Then come with me.”

Jay followed me quickly out of the bedroom and through the glorious hallways of the mansion. I knew Ryder would be in the library, he was always in there waiting for me to either come read to him or he was searching for books in braille. If I was right about Jay and Ryder being mates that meant that Ryder would finally be able to find love. If I was wrong Ryder would be none the wiser and I would still help Jay find his mate. Now that I have Darren I am finally happy, everyone deserves that. As we reached the open doors of the library I could tell that he was inside of it, and by the looks of Jay’s face I had been right about them being mates. His half smile was stretched tight and he was just about hopping on his feet. He smelled Ryder, and he knew that the scent he smelled on Ryder meant that he had found his mate. Just as he was about to dart into the library and rush to Ryder I placed a firm hand on his chest. I could feel the indentation of his scars underneath my fingers; they were deep enough to where I wondered how he had survived the attack.

He looked down at me with wondering eyes. “What’s wrong Luna?” He questioned impatiently, wanting to get closer to Ryder.

“He is my best friend, do not hurt him. It is not his fault.” I almost growled, I could not stand it if something were to have happened to Ryder because I had introduced them. He has done so much for me; I will do the same for him.

Jay looked at me once more, his eyes now even more confused. He could see the firmness in mine, the promise that I was making to Ryder. I would not stand for any ill treatment of him, and I think that Jay could see that. “What is not his fault?” He asked, I could hear the worry now residing in his voice.

I gestured into the room and led him into it; he would find out soon enough that Ryder was blind. Hopefully he still accepted him. “Ryder?” I hummed with a smile on my face, looking back at Jay to see him still in the doorway, looking in carefully. He could see the back of Ryder’s extremely messy black haired head as Ryder sat in front of the blazing fire place, a book in his hands as his fingers grazed a crossed the words. He had stopped when he heard me call his voice softly.

“What is that smell Rose, you brought it in with you when you came home? He questioned quietly, I smirked a little to myself, sitting down beside him on the soft red carpet and enveloping him in a small hug. He smells Jay to, which is a great sign.

“Come here Jay.”

I looked up at him and motioned for him to come into the library. I swear he just about ran over, the joy in his eyes over whelming. I loved seeing that he did not care that Ryder was a boy, he only cared that Ryder was his mate. The one true test would be to see that Ryder was blind. As he approached up I waited, and it seemed that Ryder was waiting as well. Jay walked over and in front of Ryder and I, gasping when he seen the color of Ryder’s eyes. He knew that Ryder was blind, and it shocked him. That worried me a great deal, would he leave Ryder just like Gwen did?

“Ryder, this is Jay. He says that he is your mate.” I whispered in Ryder’s ear quietly, hoping that this would go well.

“But Gwen is my mate.” Ryder stated, I could almost see the hurt in Jay’s eyes when he said that and I knew then that Jay would not be the problem in this mating, I was Ryder.

“No honey, Gwen rejected you. Do not throw this chance away, she will not come back.” It hurt me to say those words to him, but I meant them. Ryder would only get thigh chance once; I do not want him to force Jay to reject him as well.

Jay sat down then in front of Ryder and stretched out his hand to him. Taking it off from Ryder’s book and placing it into his own. I could see both of their eyes widen as their skin touched. Sparking each other into what was sure to be love. They felt the same spark of electricity that I felt with Darren touched me.

“Do you still have feelings for this Gwen, Ryder?” Jay asked sweetly, raising his other hand to place it softly on Ryder’s cheek. “I will not abandon you as she did just because you cannot see me, I will protect you and care for you for the rest of your life.” The only thing that stopped them from living in happily ever after would be Ryder’s acceptance of Jay, and I have no foresight on what he will say.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think Ryder should do?

Please check out my new story Battlefield, the link is in my last chapter :)