Status: Working on it :) Comment/reccomend pretty please it makes me more inclined to write. :)

Would You Bargain With Hell?

The Lake House.

I crossed my legs, dangling freely over my bed. Before me sat a bay window, curtains drawn to the side. The sky was blue and perfect like a painting. The sun was veiled by ivory clouds. The grass was as green as you've ever seen, and the dock recently washed. The water rippled, kissing the ground as it rose.

I stood, closing the curtain, the light filtered in now with a slight blue hue. I slid to the desk, where my mother left an outfit out for today's party. It was a purple gown, sweetheart neckline, draping and ruching around the abdomen, paired with pastel silver shoes. I dropped my silk pajama's and fastened myself in. It wasn't as tigh as i had imagined.

I looked out the window again, watching the birds flying, so easily. It was so basic to envy birds, to envy their ability to fly. At their own whim they can just get up and go and leave. Something at least i had never mastered. I, like many others wished I was a bird.

I walked to the mirror,seeing my reflection. I never felt right in gowns. I felt good, I looked good. But it never felt right. My hair was naturally wavy and a light brown caramel colour. It sat by my abs. My face was light, my eyes a nice green. Of course i didn't fit in with this family. My social worker had told me to be lucky such a great family adopted me. They were great, but they only adopted me for the good publicity. Why else would you adopt the wildest poorest miscreant?

I looked harder at the mirror, I was thinner than before, and my hair longer since my mother no longer let me cut it, my skin pale. I felt like i had slowly been withering away. She ran my life, what I did, where I went, it was all up to her. I would never be bold enough to defy her.

The intercom came on. "Rayder!" The electronic voice of my mother spoke.

I walked to the intercom and held down the button "Yes Mother?"

"Are you ready for The Bailey's fundraiser? It's about time to go."

"On my way down."

I released the button, lifting the skirt of the dress and maneuvering the corridors in the lake house until I came to the stairs, I walked carefully. My family stood like a Christmas photo waiting by the doors for me.

My father stood tall above them, his hair gelled back and his eyes dark, his glasses poised on his nose. His hand was on my mother’s shoulders, she was petite and blonde. They have three daughters, Celine, Marie, Sophie are triplets all blonde and beautiful. My age, 17.

My mother spoke. "You look nice Rayder, hmmm, we really should work on changing your name though, and Rayder does not suit a lady." She chuckled.

"Grace, that's her name we can't change it." My father spoke guiding everyone outside to the limo. I hung my head following behind like a dog.

I knew they didn't care for me, at least not like they cared for each other. My mother hates me, she thinks I’m dirt; she makes me eat alone in my own "dining room". My father ignores me, but I prefer that to my mother’s treatment.

I feel a tear roll down my cheek and I wipe it away raising my head high. I was better than that.

Everyone trailed into the second and third row of seats and prepped to get in and sit beside my mother.

"Rayder!" She said bewildered protecting the open seat with her hand. "Wouldn't you rather have the back all to yourself?" She smiled evilly.

I nodded backing out and sliding into the very back seat of the car shrinking down onto the floor.

I stared out the back window, as the lake house faded out of view.

In the films families go to lake houses to have fun, they swim and jump in the water and have
picnics. We went so that the magazines could get vacation pics. I bit my lip. I wanted it to end. I clawed at the leather seat, knowing nothing would happen. I would give anything to be back at the orphanage. At least I was human there. Here I am a pet.