Status: Working on it :) Comment/reccomend pretty please it makes me more inclined to write. :)

Would You Bargain With Hell?

Patrick

Greg was stirring in the small kitchen, concocting some tea. I waited patiently on his canvas couch observing. The room was the direct opposite of Grace’s house. His walls were painted badly, splotches of red stained against them. I wouldn’t dare ask what it was, hoping it was paint, as the ceiling was about the same shade of red. The walls were a mustardy yellow and his carpet shag and green. His coffee table was cluttered with books with the authors on the covers, a tell-tale sign it was the memoir of some famous celebrity.

His house looked incomplete; it lacked decoration, only having two pictures up on the far wall, to distant for me to focus in on. Something fell in the kitchen and Greg cursed. He had aged well. His hair was still dark though there were some grey streaks, and he now wore a light beard. His eyes a tender green.

He balanced a tray of tea on his hand and walked in, setting the tray on top of some of the books. He poured into a teacup and offered it to me, his hand shaky. I took it and sipped at it.

“So, uhh Rayder, that is you right?” He chugged down the small cup and poured himself another one.

“Am I forgettable?” I smiled.

“No of course not. How are you doing? How are the Tamerlane’s?” He bit at his lip looking anywhere but at me.

“I’m not here to talk about them; they would never have let me come here. Greg. I want to know about my parents?”

He sighed setting his cup down; it teetered a bit before settling. “I knew this day would come.”

He looked at me now. “Rayder, your parents did what was best.”

“I already know that bit.”

“Your mother’s name was Daisy and your father’s name was Jasper.”

“Is that all you’re going to tell me?”

“I worry about you Rayder, more than the other kids.”

“Why? Did you know how awful they were when you sold me to them?” I spat, I hadn’t meant to be harsh, he did his job and that was fine I didn’t hold it against him.

“I suspected, but they interviewed brilliantly, they didn’t have anything wrong on paper, and they donated a generous sum to my orphanage.” He looked down at his hands, wrinkled with age.

“I really don’t want to talk about them Greg, please just tell me if they’re alive.”

“Your father is well; he misses you more than you could ever comprehend. He wishes you knew who he was and that he could be himself to you, but he knows it would do more harm than good. Your mother, bless her soul, passed away a few years after you were adopted.”

“Wait! My father wants to see me?” I nearly popped out of my seat, a bit of tea slipping out.

“He does yes, but it’s not a good idea Rayder.”

“Of course it is!”

“He’s ill.”

“How ill?”

“Its cancer Rayder, he’s faring well now, but he won’t be for long. He doesn’t want to break your heart more than he already has.” Tears welled up in the corners of Greg’s emerald eyes, a few escaping and rolling down his cheek.

My heart sunk. “What about what I want!! I want to see him! That’s not fair! I don’t care if he is ill! I need to know him!” Sobs escaped through my throat and crystal drops flew down my face. Greg stood and wrapped him arms around me tightly.

“I love you Rayder, remember that.”

I nodded.
“I love you to Greg.”

After sorrowful goodbyes I left. Lost in a trance the whole way home, catatonic through dinner, and slept easy dreaming of my sad sallow father.

I woke up, not remembering the last time I slept. I dug around the floor for my alarm clock. I said Tuesday. I yawned. I sat up sniffling a bit.

The intercom went off. “Miss Rayder, are you up yet?”

I groaned and stood walking up to the intercom and holding down the button. “Yes.”

“Great, Miss Grace has a fancy brunch and she’d like for you to join her.”

“What should I wear?”

“A dress Miss Rayder.”

“Right, thank you.”

I ran my fingers through my hair a few times; lacing myself into another of Graces choice dresses.

I reached the foyer, where grace alone waited for me. She grinned. “Hi Rayder.”

“Where is everyone else?”

“They aren’t coming.”

My heart fell to the pit of my stomach she had to be up to something.

I nodded.

I slept in the limo, shaken awake by the stop of the vehicle. I stepped out at yet another fancy café I didn’t recognize. When we walked in Grace waved at a table with one woman Graces age and a boy my age. Oh no, I thought as I sat. The boy was dressed nicely and his blonde hair was gelled back. He held his head high in an obnoxious kind of way.

“Rayder, this is Lady Howell, she is from England.” I nodded and shook the woman’s hand.

“And this is her son Patrick.” I shook his hand as well.

“Nice to meet you.”

“You and Patrick are going to get married.” The Lady boasted.

“Pardon miss?”

“I’m just joking my dear, but it would be a smart couple, right Grace?”

“Indeed. In fact why don’t you two get to know each other, Rayder show him around Manhattan, and report back in four hours.”

“Uh, Alright.” I was shocked as I left the table, waiting by the door for the pompous Patrick.

We walked in silence, which I preferred for an hour before he asked me to kindly sit. I sat on a wooden bench beside him.

“Rayder m’dear. You are lovely, just as Grace promised. Look at this porcelain face.” He reached his hand to touch me and I shied away.

“Thank you.”

“Do I suit you?” He sat straight, his back erect and his nose in the air.

“You are…very good looking Patrick.”

He smiled snidely. He looked me in the eyes, I returned with a confused gaze. He leaned in, closing his eyes and puckering his lips out.

I backed up as much as I could.

When he didn’t reach me he opened his eyes. “What’s the matter Rayder? Are you…interested in someone else?”

“No.” I knew that was the safest answer whether it was true though I didn’t know.

“Did I offend you?”

“No.”

“Then why can’t I kiss you? I fancy you, and I thought you fancied me.”

“I do.” I lied. “I haven’t ever kissed anyone before.” That although was a truth.

“Don’t worry, with those lips, you’ll be perfect.” He leaned in again, my brain was fried trying to figure out what to do when I figured the best way to handle this…was to kiss him.

His lips were wet, and sticky against mine. I felt his tongue trying to pry open my lips, but I wasn’t letting that happen. After an awkward while he pulled back.

“See, wasn’t that hard. You’re a natural.”

You’re not, I thought, and a rubbish first kiss. I smiled at him.

He held my hand, intertwine our fingers. “You will be my new girlfriend Rayder Tamerlane.”

I smiled, my heart thudding in my chest, as if crying for help. No, not help I knew exactly what it wanted, Mason.

“I’m very excited Patrick, isn’t it about time we head back, and tell our parents of the grand news.”

“Yes my love.”