Status: Working on it :) Comment/reccomend pretty please it makes me more inclined to write. :)

Would You Bargain With Hell?

The Fundraiser

Getting out of the limo I was embarrassed, I was sure makeup had run from my silent sobs and tears in the back seat. I stepped out, in front of a lavish hotel in upstate New York. Surely, my house was not far from here. I could walk; I stared down the streets, the sidewalk free of cracks the streets free of dirt. I felt a hand on my arms.

My mother dragged me inside. In the ballroom many well-dressed man and women mingled with cups of wine. A few people danced and some people stared at the buffet table. A crystal chandelier hung neatly above the room.

My mother released me in a corner that was otherwise uninhabited. She held me firmly.
“Alright you little twat, make friends, be pretty and respectful okay? Don’t dare make a fool of my name.” She smiled cleanly and went off.

I ran to the bathroom, looking at myself in the mirror. I couldn’t picture myself as a grown woman; I couldn’t picture myself any better. I knew I was vulnerable. Like a wounded bird in the hand of a bully. The bully could just simply close his hand and I’d be squashed to pieces. Even though, he has the opportunity to help, you know he won’t because those that trap you from what you need are never those that you need.

I wiped below my eyes and held my head high, like Greg had told me. His reassuring voice. “Rayder, now it’s inevitable, dear, that at some point one of the foster parents might be…mean. What I need for you to do is hold your head high, never let anyone see you weak. You are better than that. Always hold your head high even if you’re only hanging on.” Then he had smiled and kissed my forehead.

I lifted my chin and joined the party, as much as the slave child of a wealthy family can join a party. Mostly I ate delicate appetizers and walked around. I got the usual glances, and the sneer. The eyes that said,” isn’t that the orphan girl the Tamerlane’s adopted?” “I thought she was pretty.” And “The Tamerlane’s are just saints.”

I try to keep moving, but as more and more people flood in I start to have to wade my way through the crowd, and then I see no point in remaining in motion so I stand still near the wall.
I hear the thud of a freshly turned on microphone. A red-headed woman donning an elegant gown stands behind the podium.

“Hello everyone,” she gives a ditzy wave her eyes skimming over the crowd in pseudo-happiness as you can tell she wants these people out of her hotel. “I’m Mariette Munster, but of course if you’re here you know that,” The crowd erupted in false laughter “Thank everyone for coming today, you’re all so lovely. I'm told there is a special occasion at the Tamerlane household, Grace, would you like to speak?” Grace nodded and made her way to the podium as the crowd clapped.

I furrowed my brow. “Hello Everyone.” “I’m Grace Tamerlane, and today is a beautiful occasion, my daughter’s birthday.”

What, I thought, Celine’s birthday isn’t for two months?

“As many of you know, me and Marco had the opportunity to adopt a child, and we did. She was a wonderful addition to our family and she fit right in. I’d just like to say happy birthday to Penelope Rayder Tamerlane.”

Aaaand, you’ve bloody lost your mind woman
.
“Penelope please come say something.” Grace smiled looking at me.

I remained stoic, but a burly man escorted me to the podium. Hundreds of expecting faces, I tapped the mic and flinched at the noise.

“Uhm, Hello. I’m Rayder; my name isn’t Penelope, sorry Grace. However I really…love living with the Tamerlane’s. They really…accept me for who I am. They are genuinely kind people. I can’t imagine my life without them.” I swallowed and nodded walking off the podium; I saw my mother’s beady eyes scorching holes in my retinas.

Mariette went back to the podium, her sunken eye directed at me. “Happy Birthday Pene- Rayder.” She smiled then addressed the crowd. “Thank you everyone for showing up. Please be responsible and head on home”

A few hours later the crowd had thinned greatly, a few moochers remained. Roamed around again trying to find my family. They usually don’t stay late. I saw Mariette Munster ending a conversation so I tapped her on the shoulder. She turned. Her wrinkles were obvious up close, her eyes sunken into her skull.

“I’m sorry to bother you Miss Munster, Do you know where my family went?”

She leaned in a bit to hear what I was saying.

“Grace? They left already dear, did they forget you?” Astonishment painted Mariette’s face.
I had to think quickly. “Oh! Ha-ha! What a jest! They do this every year, to see how I’ve aged. They leave without me and see how I manage to get home!” I faked a huge smile but Mariette still looked worried.

“Trust me it’s funny.”

She chuckled and jokingly punched my shoulder. “Well dear, I can give you a ride if you’d like.”

I looked down realizing how much I’d rather say, no thank you unless you can drop me off a bridge or cliff or something. Head high, I thought. “Yes please.”