Status: Working on it :) Comment/reccomend pretty please it makes me more inclined to write. :)

Would You Bargain With Hell?

Smile

I itched my nose, imagined flakes of dead skin falling off. I wasn’t ready to open my eyes. I knew it had to be the afternoon and soon enough Grace would intercom me for something. I groaned and rolled onto my back in defeat. She was the lion tamer and I the feeble lion in fear of her whip.

I opened my eyes. My ceiling was plain; in fact the whole room was mundane. Aside from the various coloured clothes I had set about and the one old Shaun Cassidy poster that had been there when I moved in. I had thought it funny at the time, that some of the maids had such fun in secret.

I sat up, and then stood, unbalanced. When I looked down I saw the banana yellow sleeping bag. The previous night came back to my memory in flashes. A man on a bridge, then talking, then walking, then sneaking into my house and getting him a sleeping bag.
I cursed under my breath. Had I been any sort of reasonable yesterday I would have known this is more harm than good? Even if I got him out right now, I was sure Grace would know somehow. I hit myself. I walked over to him, in the light –granted it was dim light- I could see his face.

His hair was dark brown and messy. Not a kind of on-purpose messy, a real mess. It suited him. He had a broad jaw and cheekbones. His eyes were shut but I remembered the blue pools. Around his neck was a chain bearing at its point a cross charm. His face was speckled with dirt, and he bore a light scar on his right cheek.

I smiled, he looked so peaceful. From the hall I heard a faint bang. I jumped and kicked Mason gently, hoping to wake him. He fumbled about for a bit then finally opened his eyes. He bore down on me. It was clear last night was a daze for him too.

“SHhh.” I silenced him, as I picked up on the footfall nearing my room. I opened my door and shut it behind me, acting surprised when one of the maids ran into me. She toppled back a bit and braced her hand against the wall for balance.

“Sorry.” I pouted my lips.

“That’s alright Miss Rayder. Grace was worried about you, she wanted me to check and ensure you hadn’t left in the night.” The maid wore slacks and a tunic with a bow. She had kind brown eyes and a forgiving face. Her hair was in a messy bun on top of her head. She was one of six maids the house kept. One for each member of the Tamerlane clan, and the Tamerlane dog, Gentry.

“Why would I do that?” I felt my palms grow sweaty. And my throat closed a bit. I had never been good in tight situations like this.

“I don’t know miss, I’m sure Miss Tamerlane would love to hear from you. It is time to change your sheets as well.”

“No, no its not. I’m fond of my sheets. Can’t we change them tomorrow or something?” I had never been this awkward in my life. I felt like I was harboring some kind of fugitive. Of course in Graces eyes, I was.

The maid looked unsure. “Well, you should change Miss Rayder; Grace would be upset to know you’re wearing the same dress. The family is in the pool house. Join them if you’d like. I’ll be back tomorrow to change your sheets then.” She smiled wry and walked away.

I sighed, louder than I thought and the maid turned around. I smiled. She nodded and kept her way.

I walked back in closing and bracing myself against the door. Mason was stood now, in front of me.

“Sorry, I didn’t know it would be such a big deal.” He wore a sleeve tank top with a tear in the shoulder, his arms bare I could see the brawn he bore. His jeans were worn and baggy around his legs.

“Don’t apologize.” I smiled. “It’s fine really.”

“Should I go?” He didn’t look happy about that, but he didn’t quite look sad either.

“Uhm.” I didn’t know what to say. It was clear he needed a place to stay, but it wasn’t really safe to harbor him here. “Maybe it would be best. But I don’t want you gone. Can we meet up sometime? So I know you’re…okay?” I swallowed hard.

“You mean so you know that I’m still alive.” His face had become unreadable.

I bit my lip. “Sorry.”

“It’s alright. Yeah, do you know Snappers café? Can I meet you there in say, three days?
Wednesday? Noon-ish would be best for me.”

I nodded. “I can do that. Across the hall is a storage room, you’ll have to go out the window.”

“Alright.” He pushed past me and opened the door. He walked away promptly.

“Mason.” I gave my last attempt at letting him know I care.

He turned. “Yeah.”

“Stay safe.”

He smiled. His smile was unusual. It felt, real, genuine. I couldn’t recall the last time I’d seen a real smile. In the circles I mingled in no one was real. I had never known anyone but Greg who had smiled.

As Mason walked into the other room I felt awful in my gut. I felt like I abandoned him. I know was abandonment feels like and I don’t want anyone else to feel it. But by the time I was done thinking, he was lost in the vortex of pointless junk across the hall. I went in my room and dropped to the floor.

“Mason Connors.” I said to myself, feeling how the name came across my tongue. “Mason Connors.”