Don't Confuse It, He'll Always Just Be Your Prey

The Basement

The girl made me leave once I said that. It wasn't like it was new news! Ugh, can't I just go home with my mate and all that shit! I thought my life was supposed to get easier now, but oh no, my life was about to get so much harder. Max can barely stand being in the same room as me. There is no way he'll act like my mate. It'll take weeks, if not months, for me to convince him to turn into a fertile. And, I can kiss the hopes of actually being able to hug him until two weeks from now at least.

This was far more complicated than I thought it would be, and it was taking way too long. The sooner I could actually sit down and talk to him the better. This was too much for him to handle right now, and he should hear all this new information from me, not his female friend or something. She may be a deochi, but she isn't a fall vampire. She doesn't know the things I know. She won't be able to tell him the things that I can, but then again, he won't trust me like he trusts her for a very long time.

After maybe nearly forty five minutes or so of waiting outside by my car, Max finally came down. I threw his bag into my trunk, and we started to head to my place on the other side of the city.

It must be a lot to think about for him. I can understand that. It wasn't easy for me to accept when I started thinking of him more than a measly human, but that was a while ago. I didn't think about it that much anymore, and now that I know that he's my mate, there really is nothing to worry about, for me at least.

"Calm down, Maxie." I told him when his heart rate was really starting to annoy me. Being a vampire only has so many perks.

"I-I am c-calm." He replied.

"I can hear your heart beat. Unless it normally beats that fast, which doesn't seem healthy, you're lying." I told him. He took a few deep breaths trying to calm down after that. "I'm not going to hurt you." I told him then. I'm sure that was the common thought running through his brain. He nodded but otherwise didn't say anything.

Once we pulled up to my house, I got out and got his bag before walking to the house. Unlocking the door, I asked Max if it was okay that I didn't have a guest room made up yet. When there was no answer, I turned to see that he hadn't even left the car yet.

"You just going to stand there?" I asked him. He snapped out of his gaze and walked up to the house still eyeing it with a wonder that I haven't seen in a long time. It was cute that he thought my house was actually that nice.

"Would you like a tour?" I asked once we were inside.

He replied with a "Y-Yes, s-sir."

"That's cute that you still have those stupid human to vampire formalities, but you don't need them, not anymore. So, let's start at the top." I answered him. He wouldn't have to be scared of us vampires anymore. He was going to be one of us, hopefully. Formalities weren't something he should worry about anymore.

I showed him the house. That was basically it. There was my room, the messy guest room, the kitchen, the den, living room, back yard, so on and so forth. It was just a house. What was there to really show. it was exactly how my mother left it, which I told him. He was going to wonder why there wasn't anyone else in the house, so I told him before he asked. He didn't really react to it all that much, not that I minded. It was a common story. Mom leaves, dad gets depressed and bails, too.

Last but not least I showed him the basement. It was probably a bad idea, and I knew that. It wasn't really for him because he would never be down here on his own, if that. There was a human that I had been storing for when I got bored. The thing no one knew is why I picked this human. It was a human that I saw harass Max more than once, so I thought that I should harass him for a while. But, me harassing someone usually ends with them dying, not just getting out with a few bruises.

I stalked over to the human and pulled his hair to get his head off the floor. He was in a pretty bad shape right now, but I wasn't even close to being done with him. "You see that beauty over there?" I asked. He looked over and then back at me. My eyes were red because this fucker just made me angry when I looked at him, that, and I haven't had blood all day. "Well, I'm going to hurt you twenty times worse than you hurt him, but you won't be able to get up and leave after."

"Please, no." It pleaded. I smirked and dropped him back on the floor.

Standing up, I walked over to where Max was. "What are you afraid of now?" I asked him. He was more nervous in here than in any other room.

"I-I d-d-don't like th-these rooms." he replied honestly.

I was still walking towards him. Something was just taking over. "I'm sure most humans wouldn't, but why would you even know what's in these rooms?" That was one thing that the vampires always kept secret. The basements were a big red flag, and we didn't want our biggest torture secrets to be spilled. All those human horror films about basements just made it so much more fun.

"I-I’ve b-been in o-one."

"Why?" I asked confused. He shouldn't be alive if he was.

"R-R-Ran into a d-dom. B-brought m-me down into h-his b-b-basement." He explained.

"Seems like something a dom would do, but humans don't usually walk out of here alive." I stated.

"L-Linda c-came, a-and c-c-convinced him t-t-to let m-me go."

"Ah, Linda. She's an interesting character." I assumed Linda was the female that was in his apartment earlier. Yeah, we were either going to have a perfectly fine relationship or we would hate each other for all eternity.

He couldn't walk anymore. There was nowhere to go. He would have to go through me first, and that was that one thing I knew he was trying to avoid. Green eyes darted to the staircase on the other end of the room and then back to me. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little disappointed.

"Humans always look for an escape, even when they know they can't. Why would I think you would be an exception? I told you I wasn't going to hurt you." I said, lifting my hand to touch his face, but when he physically cringed, I thought better of it. I sighed before leaning on the wall next to him. "Why do you stutter?" I asked after a moment.

"D-don't know." He replied.

"When did it start?" I asked. The more he talked the less I thought about doing something that he wouldn't enjoy, like touching him. He doesn't seem too fond of that.

"W-when m-my m-mom m-married m-my step d-dad."

"That asshole from your place?" I asked. He nodded. No wonder that guy smacked him. He wasn't his kid. It relieved me a little, not the fact that Max got hit, but that it wasn't his real father that did it. There has to be a line that even humans won't cross.

"Does your mom know he smacks you around?" I asked.

"She l-laughs. I-i w-was a m-mistake t-to her." He said. I could feel the anger that was inside of me, but I tried to ignore it, trying not to scare him.

"That's a thing I will never understand about humans. You all create something beautiful and then hate it for some stupid reason and then destroy it. Sometimes I wonder how you all are still alive." I stated.

"V-vampires h-hate things, t-t-too." he said.

"Sure we do. We hate things that mess with what's ours. We hate things that hurt what's ours. We hate things that destroy something that is beautiful." I replied.

"N-not all h-humans are l-like that." He said trying to defend them.

"No, because some of them are like you. The ones that get messed with by other humans. You are the type of things that other humans like to destroy because you aren't like them for some reason. There is something about you that they don't seem to like very much, so they want to destroy it. They want to destroy you." I said. Humans were too complex for me. How could they want to hurt something as amazing as him?

"I-I know. I-I lived through i-it all." he said meekly.

"Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore." I replied.

"Why not?" He asked scrunching his face up.

"Because now you're mine, and like I said vampires hate things that mess with what's ours." I don't know if I was convincing him, or still trying to convince me.