Don't Confuse It, He'll Always Just Be Your Prey

He Thinks They're Leeches

What are you doing, Ronnie? The second you knew who your mate was you should have called this off. I told him that he shouldn't worry about my friends. They were good people, like he believed that. Honestly, they were good people. Well, they were good vampires. To him, they were some of the most frightening creatures he had ever come in contact with.

He was terrified. I could smell it on him. When this happened, I didn't think he would react like this. I didn't. There as a thought that he might be uncomfortable with me for a while. That was expected. I didn't ever think he become this scared. He was curled up on the edge of the couch. The hairs on the back of his neck were standing up.

If I knew what he was thinking, I could help him. Honestly, I could. Questions were probably running through his mind, but if he didn't ask me, I couldn't answer them. This is over whelming for any human, but they never reacted like this. Most of them were grateful for a better life, a life they wouldn't get otherwise. But, not everyone was Max.

"You're a nervous little thing." I said when I walked back to where he was sitting, a cup of tea in each hand. He jumped up slightly. Yeah, definitely nervous.

I handed him his tea, but he set it down right away. Well, that was a waste. "W-why m-m-me?" He asked quietly. I had to strain my ears to hear him, but I got the most of it.

"Why you what?" I asked confused. I'm sure he was talking about the situation, but he wasn't being very specific.

"W-why am I-I your m-m-mate and n-not a f-fertile?"

"The same reason anyone else's mate is their own. It was meant to be, I guess." I replied, sitting down on the other side of the couch. My feet hit the table in front of me with a thud. He pushed himself farther into the arm of the couch, and I quietly sighed in frustrated. "You know it isn't exactly unheard of for a human to be matched with a vampire. Given most of them don't exactly act the way you do." I stated.

That caught his attention. "W-what d-do you m-mean?"

"I mean, most of the humans understand what the life of a mated pair is like, and they understand what their part in it would be. Even if they don't, they wouldn't jump at every sound or back away when their mate came near. They would let their mate at least touch them." I explained. I admit this was a passive aggressive attack at him, but there are certain things you expect during the mating ceremony. I expected them, but I had to work through this situation first.

"S-S-Sorry."

"For what, love?" I asked, looking over at him. I didn't realize I had said what I said at the time.

"You d-d-don't d-deserve a m-m-mate like m-me."

I'm sure shock was clearly written on my face, but he wasn't really looking in my direction. My entire body turned towards him, and my knee barely skimmed his thigh. "I think you're pretty damn perfect." I said. My hand reached out to brush a stray hair from his face.

He finally looked over at me. "I-I'm j-just a h-human."

"Hm, there was always something different about you. You aren't like the rest of the filthy humans that roam the school. They aren't nearly as pretty. I wonder what you would be like if you were born a real fertile." I pondered.

"R-Real f-fertile?"

"Yeah, there are some humans that are part fertile and act exactly like them besides the whole being human part. Those are the humans that can be turned into fertiles and not toys. A little of my venom and you would be a vampire." I couldn't help myself as my fingers skimmed the smooth skin of his face, down his neck.

"I-I d-d-didn't think that w-was p-p-possible." He said. I could feel the vibrations of his stuttering voice box on my hand.

"Fertiles learn about it in their health class, but humans don't because no one ever expects a human to mate with a vampire of any kind. It happens a lot actually. There is about fifty humans turned into real vampires every year, but no one really notices. It isn't that big of a deal." My fingers continued on their path down his pale arm.

"I-It's a h-h-huge d-deal." He defended.

"To humans, it can be. To vampires, it is an everyday occurrence."

"S-So, h-how d-does this work?"

My fingers stopped, much to my distaste, and I looked back at his face. "Us being mates?" I asked. He nodded his head shortly. "Well, it would work like any other relationship between mates. I'll be your dom and you'll be my fertile, and hopefully one day, you'll let me change you."

I thought about it a moment longer and I didn't think he actually knew how these relationships did work. It wasn't like a human couple. It was very different, in fact. In human relationships, there is always the possibility of something going terribly wrong. The man you thought you knew was in act a murderer or a rapist. The woman you gave your entire life for could be a thief or an alcoholic. That didn't happen with vampires. We take care of our own. It doesn't matter who a fertile is, if I see them getting harassed by anyone, I'm going to step in. I couldn't help it. There was just this feeling inside of me telling me I needed to. It was similar to when I started protecting Max for no reason. It wasn't rational. It just was.

Time slipped away from me, and I heard a knock on the door. I went to answer it, knowing who it was, and knowing Max would not like it.

My friends piled in one after another, and I greeted them as they greeted each other. Some of the fertiles I met for the first time, but we still hugged. I wasn't as affectionate with my dom counterparts.

It was the usual group, Gerard, Pete, Andy, Robert, and Bob. Everyone was here, minus Craig, who was a fucking stupid and got himself in trouble.

I saw Max's discomfort in the corner of my eye and went over to him. I hoisted him off of his feet, and whispered in his ear. "Calm down, Maxie. They aren't going to hurt you. You're just as safe with all of them as you would be sitting next to your cousin." I waited for any acknowledgement I had said anything. He still looked nervously over to the others, but he nodded slowly otherwise. "Okay, so let me introduce you to the fertiles at least. I doubt you want to meet the doms just yet." I said before pushing him over to the kitchen area.

The fertiles were all already in there chatting away. It was similar to my friends. They were all already a group before this happened, so they just stuck together.

"Everyone this is Max. Max this is everyone. Play nice." I said and kissed him on the forehead before leaving. Okay, so that wasn't the best way to introduce him to that situation, but he was going to have to learn to socialize with vampires without me. I wouldn't always be there.

I walked back into the living room where everyone else had made themselves very comfortable. Comfortable enough to be putting their shoes on most of my furniture.

I pushed my way through Andy's legs and sat in the chair. "I guess I don't have to tell you all to make yourselves comfortable." I scoffed.

"Do you ever?" Andy smirked over at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Somebody hit him, please." Pete complied to my request which got him a slap in the back of the head in return. This is what happened when you got a bunch of cocky assholes together. "You two cut it out! You're going to ruin my house." I demanded. They grumbled but stopped horsing around.

"Come on, Ronnie. You know not to get those two riled up." Gerard said.

I just shrugged. "I guess I'm just optimistic that old dogs will learn new tricks."

"I think those two are a little too old." Bob scoffed. Gerard and I thought that was amusing. Pete and Andy thought otherwise and through pillows over at him. Of course, being a dom, he caught them with ease.

"Seriously, stop now." I said.

"Why are you so pissy?" Andy asked.

"Because I don't want to have to clean up your mess."

"Well, you don't have to because you have a lovely little fertile who would do it for you," Andy said. "Oh, wait! No, you don't!"

I rolled my eyes and suppressed the deep growl that wanted to escape my throat.

"Someone explain." Pete said, looking awfully confused. Pete and Gerard were mated before me.

"Max isn't a fertile. He's a human." I stated.

Gerard eyes grew wide. "No shit!" He exclaimed. Pete started to laugh.

"It isn't that big of a deal, assholes." I said.

They both continued to laugh. "No, but it sure as hell is funny." Pete mocked.

"Fine, fine. I'm mated to a human. Laugh it up, but you all know that once he's turned, he will be fine." I said raising my eyebrows.

The conversations pretty much blurred after that. It went to each individual fertile that we were all mated with hen to torture specialties them to how much a drag school is. When we all got together it was like a bunch of ADD children. Nothing was safe, and nothing was off topic.

Eventually, our mates joined us. It was definitely a party then. We were laughing, and screaming, and of course, picking on Andy. It was our favorite hobby. How can someone so small have such a deep voice?

Max, on the other hand, stayed away from everyone. I don't really blame him. We didn't have the best reputations in school, but I'm sure the fertiles talked up their mates while they were talking. None of the doms really tried all that hard to get to know him. I warned them that he was a bit antsy, and when they saw just ho antsy, they thought it best to keep away. It was smart on their part.

I tried to stay as close to him the best I could. I really did. Whenever I could, I would use the mate bond to my advantage and calm him down, but I could only stay so close to him.

After god knows how long, we finally said our farewells.

I sat down on the couch next to Max, who was still curled into a ball. "So, that was fun." I said. He stayed quiet. Didn't move an inch. "Are you okay, darling?" I asked after a moment.

"It's a-a l-lot t-to take in."

"I know. It gets easier. I promise."

"H-H-How d-do you know?" He asked.

"I know, just trust me. Are you tired?" I asked, avoiding his question. I really didn't know if this was going to get easier. There was no guarantee that he wouldn't be deathly afraid of everyone inthe years to come, and I didn't know if he was ever going to warm up to me. Did I want it? Yes. Did I know it was going to happen? No, but I sure did hope so.

"Come on. Let's get you to bed." I said, holding out my hand. Surprisingly, he took it.

He followed me upstairs to my room where he just stood there for a moment. I knew he didn't want to have to sleep next to me, but I also knew he didn't want to go in the guest room. It wasn't all that pleasant for the fact that I never get guests. Everyone left me, remember?

"Um, I'll go if you want." I suggested kind of awkwardly.

"You c-c-can s-s-stay. I-it's your h-house." He said. I nodded my head, and could barely hold in the smile.