Don't Confuse It, He'll Always Just Be Your Prey

Calming Touch To A Terrified Creature

There was mumbling in my ear and it woke me up. I couldn't make out ay words.

"R-R-Ronnie g-get up." Someone said.

"What?" I muttered.

"P-P-Please, R-R-Ronnie." They said again with a sob. I turned over to feel the person bolt out of bed. Jeez, what's his problem?

I shot up in bed. Oh shit! That was Max. I was his problem. The poor thing must have been terrified out of his mind waking up next to a vampire, next to me.

I walked to the bathroom to see him repeatedly splashing water on his face. "Are you okay?" I asked, my hand on his shoulder. It was a stupid question. It really was. Of course he wasn't okay. He wouldn't be okay until he trusted me, even just a little, but that won't happen for a while. "Max?" I asked again when he didn't say anything.

He stared at his hands, thinking most likely. The thoughts running through his head I'm sure were not good for me. This wasn't a difficult thing to do. It wasn't. Humans did it all the time. I've shown no harm to this boy, none. But, the only thing running through his mind is that I'm a killer, someone that was a threat to him. I wasn't though. I wouldn't harm him in any way, if I would help it. And, I hate the fact that I'm the one who is always terrifying him.

"W-we sh-should g-get to s-school." He stuttered out.

"There are some clothes for you on the bed." I replied, putting my hand on the counter to lean against it.

He looked up at me. "W-what's wrong w-with m-my clothes?"

"Really?" I asked with a slight tone.

He nodded.

"Your clothes are either ripped, stained with your own blood, or they don't look like they fit you at all. Some of them are all three." I explained.

He walked back into the bedroom. I sighed. What was I going to do? There is no way that he will be able to function today in school, no way. He was going to flip out, majorly flip out. Not that I blame him. This was absolutely horrendous for humans. To have to go through their entire lives and then suddenly change everything you know was a terrible thing. But, they weren't all like this. Most of them adapted, quite quickly. That didn't seem to be the case with him.

When we finally got to school, all he could do was squirm. I wanted so desperately to do something, hold his hand, drape my arm around his shoulders, just something. He wouldn't like that though, so I had to watch him mentally freak out behind me. Maybe the worst part was the fact that people were staring at him like he was a freak. There wasn't much I could do to tell them to stay in their place with him right there, so I just glared at anyone who remotely looked over at him. He was mine. They all needed to start learning that.

He nearly ran to his desk in the back of the classroom when we got there, and I followed to the seat next to him. The teacher handed him a piece of paper before shaking her head and walking away. I could tell she was thinking it was a shame that he was with me. Bitch.

"What's that, love?" I asked as he looked at it confused.

"A-A n-new schedule. I-I d-don't know why th-though." God, they seriously teach them nothing.

"After the mating ceremony, doms like to skip their schedules to be with their mates, and the office decided that it would be easier just to switch people's classes around. It's usually the dom, but your classes needed to be changed anyways."

"Why?" He asked.

"Because you became a vampire's mate. They're assuming that you will become one yourself one day, so they switched your classes to ones with more vampires and gave you fertile health instead of the human class you are used to." I explained.

He squirmed slightly in his seat. I could tell he was worried. Why wouldn't he be? He was going to be with vampires all day, and he could barely handle one.

"Don't worry about it, Maxie. These are all my classes, too. I'll be there to protect you." I said. He nodded but otherwise said nothing.

The rest of the day went, well, it didn't really go smoothly, but it certainly was interesting. The poor boy could barely stand it. Every time his heart beat sped up I'd touch the smooth skin on the back of his neck to calm him down. The occasional vamp would shout me a worried glance, but I would ignore it. Max was fine, well, he was better than before.

There almost was a fight in one of the classes. A younger dom was getting too friendly with someone else's mate. I have to say I was rooting for the older dom. The younger doms these days didn't know how to handle this, but they should. They needed to learn how to respect other people's mates. No one was messing with mine, but if they did, oh, all hell would break loose.

At the end of the day, I had to leave Max, but only for one class. He would be fine. Yeah, fine. He knew some of the fertiles in there, so he would have company. I told him to wait for me after class, and once he nervously walked in to the class, I went to mine.

I couldn't help but smile as I heard the roar of excited doms and the smell of fresh blood.