Sherlock/Sheila

Letters from Brothers

To Henry Watson

Well I’ve done it. I figured out that it IS possible to find a good apartment for a cheep price. I was talking to Stamford and said that I got in to the school, could (barely) afford it but had no place to stay. He told me that he knew someone who wanted to have a roommate and apparently we should be compatible. Her name is Sheila Holmes- and before you ask no I will not hit on her no matter how attractive she is. I am still in a relationship with Mary while she’s in England believe it or not. I should be able to start up a psychiatric practice somewhere after a few years here.

I’ve been told that you have a parole hearing soon. Please make a good impression on whoever is there. And if you are let out for the love of God stop drinking and gambling. If you get out I want to be able to see my brother, not the demons possessing you.

Love, John Watson.

Image

Dear Mycroft Holmes-

I greatly appreciate the money you have been sending to me weekly. While there are cheap means of finding food and water to sustain myself on hotels are expensive in this town, especially for my prolonged stay. It is a noisy place and people have been questioning why I never come out of my room. There have been complaints about the smells (Cigarettes? Chemicals?) coming out of my room. Also I detect that the employees are rather annoyed at having to slip any letters- from you or otherwise- under the door and to have to leave my food outside of the door, so I may have been forced to make the arrangements I recently made.

When I stayed with you for a brief period after I was discharged from the rehabilitation center you told me that I should try to connect and interact with people. While I will not dilute my natural eccentricities to conform to a standard job and life like I fear you have, you may be pleased to hear that I will be living with other people now. Social interaction has long been a dreadful thing for me. For a long time I could only really talk to the few police officers that I assist, and still do. I remember from an early age you and my therapist were telling me to try to get more comfortable around people so I’m trying it out now. I’ll be saving most of the money you’ve sent that I’m not using for essentials in case I can’t handle it.

I met my roommate through your lawyer friend Stamford. His name is John Watson and he is starting his career as a psychology student at a local university. From what I’ve been told and our various e-mail correspondents he seems to be respectful, mature, and will be out of the apartment often. I hope he isn’t like his brother. I have looked his name up and apparently his brother is in prison for assaulting someone while he was drunk. Remind you of anyone?

I hope you are doing well.

-Sherlock Holmes